Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV buying advice

Options
  • 01-06-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Since the weather graced us with a lightning storm earlier this week, long story short I'm looking to buy a new TV! Since our last TV was bought around the time of the BC/AD changeover I'm a bit out of the loop TV wise. Was just looking for some general advice from people who are happy with their TV setups.

I had an enigma2 PVR (which was also fried to a crisp) and know that some of the new TV's have both saorview and freesat tuners with record to external hdd but i assume that it would be better to replace my enigma PVR box aswell, i'm guessing that the TV's with that functionality would not be as versatile as a dedicated enigma2 box(twin tuners etc)? Any advice on this?

I'm looking for a decent 32 inch Full HD Tv that has RTE player and 3player reliably. I know both samsung and lg offer this but have read multiple posts about how unreliable these TV's can be with updates. Would getting an android TV to better in this regard or just buy an android TV box be better and cheaper? Have also heard that Apple TV and Amazon Fire are now a thing? Any advice on which of the three is better?

Sorry for all the questions. The more i research the more confused i become! Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

eremenow wrote: »
    I'm looking for a decent 32 inch Full HD Tv that has RTE player and 3player reliably. I know both samsung and lg offer this but have read multiple posts about how unreliable these TV's can be with updates. Would getting an android TV to better in this regard or just buy an android TV box be better and cheaper?

I'd advise you to totally ignore the stickers on the TV in the showroom when it comes to apps and players. As you say, problems start to arise with players after s/w updates and in some cases you will stop getting updates and the player will no longer work.

It's impossible for the TV manufacturers to keep every model up to date, older TVs start to run out of memory or the onboard chip is no longer compatible with the newer players and so on. This happened me with the Youtube app on a Sony Blu-Ray player - a message appeared alongside the app icon to say that it would stop working from a given date.

Plan on getting an external android box, that can be replaced in a couple of years for far less than the price of a new TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eremenow

Thanks for the reply and advice. I know some TVs come with versatile interfaces:

TCL H32S3805 does not have hull HD but has roku (whatever that is!)
    Samsung T32E390SX has their own interface
    LG 32LJ590U use webos (or something)
    Ferguson F32ANSMT 32-Inch claim it runs android tv.

Anyone have any experience with these TVs, which interface is better or a recommendation of your own looking to spend between €150 and €250

Or is the solution an android/roku/amazon box/stick of some kind. Which of those is better for ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eremenow

Anyone got any advice for me, theres too many choices so any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement