Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to Aran Islands

Options
  • 01-06-2018 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Myself and my girlfriend are planning on taking a trip out to the Aran Islands for an overnight stay some time over the next few weeks. Any recommendations or advice on where to stay etc most welcome, haven't decided which Island yet so feel free to share any experiences you've had yourselves!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Inis Oir is lovely. Quite small but lovely. Has the added bonus of the last return ferry of the evening going right under the cliffs of moher. You can also vist the wreck of the Plessey, from the Fr Ted opening sequence. 14th cent O Brien's castle and a stunning beach. Inis Mor probably has more spectacular scenery in fairness but I like the " get away from it all" feeling on Inis Oir

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mankteln

dok_golf wrote: »
    Inis Oir is lovely. Quite small but lovely. Has the added bonus of the last return ferry of the evening going right under the cliffs of moher. You can also vist the wreck of the Plessey, from the Fr Ted opening sequence. 14th cent O Brien's castle and a stunning beach. Inis Mor probably has more spectacular scenery in fairness but I like the " get away from it all" feeling on Inis Oir

Thanks! That does sound nice. Can I ask did you stay over there and if so where?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kweeveen86

Inis Oirr is probably slightly nicer and easier to get around and will have fewer tourists but Inis Mór is great too. Inis Meain is really not geared up for tourism at all.

Stay in a B&B

http://discoverinisoirr.com/where-to-stay-eat/accommodation/

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

We've stayed in the Pier House guesthouse a few times at this stage, on Inis Mor. Would recommend that if looking for more of a hotel-like stay.
    There are loads of B&Bs too though, and we stayed in one the first time we were there. I'd say most are of similar good standard.

Bikes are the way to go on Inis Mor to get around. If you are just staying for one day&night, you might as well pick a couple of places you want to see, as you can't do all without a lot of rushing. Dun Aonghus is obviously impressive but I found Dun Duchathair equally impressive and much more isolated as it doesn't draw the same numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Can't recommend Connemara Pub Tours enough. Padraic organised a brilliant trip for us.

• Advertisement

Just book the accommodation soon

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Inis Mór, is one of the most beautiful places I'v being.. we just went for a day trip and seen most of the island had dinner, rented bikes and cycled around the island and went to kilmurvey beach its stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

Hi,myself and my wife are thinking of heading there for a weekend.
    Any recommendations as to which island is best for things to do and all round general "good craic" would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Either Inis Mor or Inis Oirr. Maybe do a night on each.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
Advertisement