Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannondale CAAD12 Vs Scott CR1 20

Options
  • 01-06-2018 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Another which bike question!! :rolleyes:

So I am in the process of replacing stolen bikes.
    My commuter is sorted, but my good road bike was a Scott CR1 10 (which I got at a knockdown price on sale).
    Unfortunately I can’t afford to replace with a bike of the same value! So my budget to replace this is approx. €1300. :(

I am looking for a lightweight, full carbon bike. Not too worried about the groupset/wheels as I will probably upgrade those in future.

The ones I have picked out so far are these two – anyone have one or have any comments on them? Or anyone have any suggestions for something similar?

Cannondale CAAD12 (Tiagra)
    https://www.cannondale.com/International/bike/Productdetail?Id=c5dd2a01-7fad-4249-ac87-9195de534259

Scott CR1 20 (105)
    https://eurocycles.com/scott-cr1-20-2017-road-bike/

The Giant TCR looks nice too, but maybe a bit of my budget unless I get one on sale somewhere!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭themighty

I can't really comment on the Scott, but the CAAD12 is supposed to be excellent. I'm looking at the ultegra version for racing.

But, it's an aluminium frame with a carbon fork. I think the closest Cannondale have to it in carbon geometry-wise is the Supersix.

It might be worth looking at Cube or Canyon bikes as well, very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭rob w

themighty wrote: »
    I can't really comment on the Scott, but the CAAD12 is supposed to be excellent. I'm looking at the ultegra version for racing.

But, it's an aluminium frame with a carbon fork. I think the closest Cannondale have to it in carbon geometry-wise is the Supersix.

It might be worth looking at Cube or Canyon bikes as well, very good value.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

I am aware the CAAD12 is aluminium, I should have said! So I suppose im not pushed on the carbon, once its lightweight and nippy!! Id like the ultegra myself, but its a bit pricey at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

Caad 12 a great bike very light and stiff. Get yourself a good set of wheels and your sorted . I have the 105 version myself. Perfect for racing being aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Recently bought the CAAD 12 105 2017 and i love it.
    Its amazing how stiff it is and handles great.
    Weighs about 7.6 kg with my Zondas on it.
    If your size is a 56 cm, they still have them available on the site i bought it from.
    I had one or two issues when ordering but nothing that i haven't read about online that others have experienced when ordering from other bike companies like Rose and Canyon.
    I would buy from them again.

https://www.bunnyhop.de/de/fahrraeder/rennrad/cannondale-caad12-105-rep-20178

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Check out geometry of each bike first. As long as i remember Scott has been more relaxed than Caad. Im nearly sure that Caad have bigger tyre clearance as well.

Anyway... Both are nice framesets but i would pick Caad. I am biased tbh as i`m owner of few Cannondales :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭rob w

If your size is a 56 cm, they still have them available on the site i bought it from.
    I had one or two issues when ordering but nothing that i haven't read about online that others have experienced when ordering from other bike companies like Rose and Canyon.

Wow, that's a great price! The 56cm would be too small for me unfortunately.....pity I've got such lanky legs!:o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd pick the CAAD as well

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Hi,I have a CR1 and a CAAD8,the CR1 is a great bike the CAAD8 105 is a fine bike but has that rubbish bb30 on it which takes from the bike.I know you are thinking of a CAAD12 but check online about bb30 before you commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Captingoogle

smalltalk wrote: »
    Hi,I have a CR1 and a CAAD8,the CR1 is a great bike the CAAD8 105 is a fine bike but has that rubbish bb30 on it which takes from the bike.I know you are thinking of a CAAD12 but check online about bb30 before you commit.

What's the problem with bb30? I'm seriously tempted by the caad12 on bunnyhop.de I've a 2015 Defy1 105 and Am trying to justify updating to the caad12 can anyone tell me if it's worth the change? Sorry for butting in OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

What's the problem with bb30? I'm seriously tempted by the caad12 on bunnyhop.de I've a 2015 Defy1 105 and Am trying to justify updating to the caad12 can anyone tell me if it's worth the change? Sorry for butting in OP!

Its a press fit bb which does not work well,having said that you may buy a bike with bb30 and never have a problem!
    My CAAD8 has a constant knocking which came shortly after having the bb replaced for the same reason,ok it may not have been fitted correctly but there is a lot of bb30 conversion kits on the market for a reason,this is my opinion but check out online for some of the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I’ve had various cannondales with the bb30 or bb30a . Never had an issue with it . One time I started to hear what I thought might be it . Turned out it was the seatpost or even the quick release . I greased both up and made sure the QR was tight . Hey presto it worked . Could have easily brought it to a shop for a new B.B.

The caad12 will take 28mm tyres . I use them myself on mine . Another thing I did was changed the seatpost to carbon . Improved the comfort of the bike also .

Just be aware they are tall bikes in the sense you won’t have as much seatpost showing as a sloping top tube would .

Having ridden a giant tcr it isn’t as compliant as the TCR on bad roads .

I’d go for the best deal on either if I was looking for good value .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Plenty of people have issues with BB30 and BB30a - I've a CAAD10 and SuperSix with one of each.

That BB30 creak can be enough to turn any man off the bike if you can't rectify it. I eventually converted the CAAD10 to BSA by pressing in an FSA converter sleeve, but that was after trying various solutions by Wheels MFG and others that failed to work. Up until that point I was ready to sell it I had become so tired of a creak per revolution. That option isn't as easily available on the CAAD12 due to the internal cable routing.

It's a poorly designed standard IMO, and one that I'll personally be avoiding when purchasing any future bike TBH - though you can extend that to every single one of the numerous press fit standards. Actually, I'm sure the BB30 standard itself can be fine, but it's the manufacturing tolerances on the frames that are poor. Hambini Engineering does good stuff on Youtube explaining it.

As for the CAAD12 itself, if it's anything like the CAAD10 or the SuperSix to ride hard they're an absolute joy. Phenomenal handling frames, but BB30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

And check your geometry, the front of the CAAD is significantly lower than the CR1, it's a much more aggressive set up.

rob w wrote: »

Worth checkkng size out here

Wow, that's a great price! The 56cm would be too small for me unfortunately.....pity I've got such lanky legs!:o

Might be worth checking sizing out here

http://usedbikes.ie/bicycle/cannondale-caad-12-1750

rob w wrote: »

Worth checkkng size out here

Might be worth checking sizing out here in CSS

http://usedbikes.ie/bicycle/cannondale-caad-12-1750

Advertisement