Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weeds in newly sown lawn

Options
  • 01-06-2018 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

ThMVA8C

section of new lawn sown around 3 weeks ago. It has had a tough start in the drought.
    Can you identify the weeds which are taking over? chickweed?
    What can be used to tackle them and not damage the grass?

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/ThMVA8C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't worry about them, when the grass is strong enough to cut the mowing will get rid of most of the weeds, at that stage you can do a weed and feed, and possibly dig out any docks, thistles and dandelions that might tend to be a bit more stubborn. There are often more weeds than grass in the early stages.

Edit keep it watered.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Thanks. Its getting a good spill right now from the sky. First rain in a good while. That should bring it on. Beats the sprinkling I have been managing in the evenings.

I have a big area yet to do and asked the local garden centre guy (renowned locally!) today should I sow it or wait till later next week till weather potentially becomes more normal Irish summery. He said to sow and leave it to its own and not water as I have been with this section (spoke of dew helping it out). Am I mad to listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't see why you wouldn't water it, shower of rain, sprinkle from the hose, whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

For the new areas you could prepare them then water like mad which will settle the soil and then rake a tilth on it when its dried a little then seed. We used to brush the seed in with a yard brush, bit of a skill not to brush it into piles but a light touch with the boom buries the seed a little so its not on the surface. Raking does the same but again its hard not to rake the seed into piles. Too much water before the seed has germinated can wash it out of the ground and give very patchy results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I wouldn't dream of sowing a lawn in this weather! New grass seedlings has no chance with boiling sun burning it as soon as it germinates.. If it's already done, water it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I wouldn't dream of sowing a lawn in this weather! New grass seedlings has no chance with boiling sun burning it as soon as it germinates.. If it's already done, water it!

Neither would I but if you didn't get it done earlier in the season then its now or wait till September and most people don't like waiting.

With sensible watering I don't think there is too much of a problem but no watering or over watering (as in washing the seed away) wouldn't be a good idea.

I'll see how the forecast pans out. Next week unfortunately! looks very sunny :) My seed bed is ready and waiting. I may have to spray for weeds shortly as I see some heads appearing

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This X 1000!

It can survive for years as seed, but once it germinates if it gets dry it dies and thats it.

You *Have* to water new seeds.

looksee wrote:
    Don't see why you wouldn't water it, shower of rain, sprinkle from the hose, whats the difference?

Difference to me is the area I need to cover. Moving a sprinkler periodically is a drip! I'll have to judge weather reports and install several more weather apps :)

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Difference to me is the area I need to cover. Moving a sprinkler periodically is a drip! I'll have to judge weather reports and install several more weather apps :)

You dont need to water them like you would a plant, you are basically just keeping them moist/not drying out so until they get any sort of root into the ground.

A misting once aday would be enough. Its not like a mature lawn that you need to give a deep water to force the roots deep.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote:
    A misting once aday would be enough. Its not like a mature lawn that you need to give a deep water to force the roots deep.

That would make my task more manageable. I was perhaps trying over doing it somewhat. I'm a bit green behind the ears

Shaunoc wrote: »
    That would make my task more manageable. I was perhaps trying over doing it somewhat. I'm a bit green behind the ears

Just don't water it during or just before the hottest part of the day.. I find later afternoon/early evening. Though if its not crazy warm then its not too much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭howsshenow

Have new lawn sown myself, using Dichophar in a small spray bottle for spot treating the nastier weeds like Dandeloin, dock and thistle. Works a treat on them. Getting tired of watering every evening though.

howsshenow wrote: »
    Have new lawn sown myself, using Dichophar in a small spray bottle for spot treating the nastier weeds like Dandeloin, dock and thistle. Works a treat on them. Getting tired of watering every evening though.

Depending on the size of lawn and what you have available, covering the surface will significantly decrease the amount of water and the number of times you have to water.

Spreading straw was always a good one, assuming you have straw.

Typically I just try to leave some topsoil/sand for spreading over the seed.

Even a bunch of old sheets or tarp/plastic will keep the moisture in. They dont need sunlight right now to get going. Weed control fabric is another one.

One other thing I forgot to say, you really don't want to water too much when seeding as you will literally wash the seeds away and get bald patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

LOl.

Pretty naïve to try and peddle on here imo.

Op I would use the current drought as a perfect opportunity to spray off any emerging weeds prior to sowing, up to you whether to include the initial area in that, but a few quid spent on extra seed now will save a lot more on lawn weedkiller in the future.

LOl.

Pretty naïve to try and peddle on here imo.

Op I would use the current drought as a perfect opportunity to spray off any emerging weeds prior to sowing, up to you whether to include the initial area in that, but a few quid spent on extra seed now will save a lot more on lawn weedkiller in the future.

yup, largest area yet to sow, I sprayed off again at the weekend. The weedy weeds were starting to show.
    The initial area showing weeds, I'll let it develop and once I start mowing later in summer and will overseed to make progress. Any big ones, I'm pulling out already by hand. Its the creeping spreading ones that had me freaked out. I expected some but i guess conditions are ripe
    If i try exercise patience it would help. Such a run of good weather :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Ah but 'tis glorious..memories of '95.

Your initial pic was a veritable rogues gallery..dandelions, plantains, nipplewort, happy picking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Completely disagree. Water your lawn and it will be fine. You don't even have to rake in the seed but it helps quite a lot.

I also have/had the same problem as you OP, the grass gets stronger and the weeds have less chance of growing. It's just a little disheartening to see.

I also have/had the same problem as you OP, the grass gets stronger and the weeds have less chance of growing. It's just a little disheartening to see.

I'm coming to terms with it. My expectations were a bit off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Hand weeding chickweed is dead easy. Get them before they seed. Deal with docks and other stubborn ones after the grass has established.

Advertisement