Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"N" stamps for internaltion use?

Options
  • 01-06-2018 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

The other day I asked for a booklet of 10 1-euro stamps. I intend to send a large letter to New Zealand and a few local letters.

On opening the booklet I notice they no longer have prices on them just an “N” number. Apparently N means they are for local/national use.

So the question is can I use these stamps for my New Zealand letter - if I put the required number of stamps on the letter of course? I'd rather not have to go back and buy some "W" stamps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Best asking them?

Ring them and ask:
    01-7057600

You can order more stamps here and it shows that W stamps are more expensive.
    http://www.irishstamps.ie/Shop/c-37-postage-stamps.aspx?utm_source=shop&utm_medium=header&utm_campaign=CMS

So assuming it's €1.50 for W letters, and €1 for N, you need to N stamps (losing 50cent).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was a previous thread with people saying N can be used on any parcels.

Some were buying them up quickly before the previous price increase, since they always are worth the current value.

So if it was previously 70c to post a letter and went to 1euro then your 700euro worth of stamps were now worth a grand, and the price of parcels might not have increased at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The N stamps are worth €1 each, so you can use them to make up other amounts. I often do this. You can also buy a 'book' of 10 international €1.50 stamps but it'll cost you €15.. An Post know very little about encouraging bulk use. As far as I recall, they break their hearts at Christmas by including one measly extra stamp in a booklet of 20 or 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

BarryD2 wrote: »
    An Post know very little about encouraging bulk use. As far as I recall, they break their hearts at Christmas by including one measly extra stamp in a booklet of 20 or 25.

An post very much encourage bulk use. But bulk is measured in thousands and they request you to partially sort them, have uniform size and have all addresses printed rather than hand written.
    For this, you'll get a rate of about 70c

Other rates are available too based on volume and service level.

Same with almost any business.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    An post very much encourage bulk use. But bulk is measured in thousands and they request you to partially sort them, have uniform size and have all addresses printed rather than hand written.
    For this, you'll get a rate of about 70c

Other rates are available too based on volume and service level.

Same with almost any business.

That may well apply to businesses sending out large mailings. But for ordinary consumers i.e, the public, An Post give little or no incentives as far as I can see. Christmas season is a good example when they hope to make a bit of business from the public sending cards. You used to get 1 extra stamp in a book of ten, I think last year it was one measly stamp in a book of 25. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That may well apply to businesses sending out large mailings. But for ordinary consumers i.e, the public, An Post give little or no incentives as far as I can see. Christmas season is a good example when they hope to make a bit of business from the public sending cards. You used to get 1 extra stamp in a book of ten, I think last year it was one measly stamp in a book of 25. Pathetic.

Everyone can avail of the bulk rates if they have the volume, but expecting bulk rates for spending €25 is ridiculous.

Imagine going into tesco and asking for bulk discount for spending €25!!

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Everyone can avail of the bulk rates if they have the volume, but expecting bulk rates for spending €25 is ridiculous.

Imagine going into tesco and asking for bulk discount for spending €25!!

With respect, your analogy is apples & oranges. The only customers who can avail on An Post discounts like that are businesses with quite large mail output. This is a B2B relationship and of course An Post offer discounts there. Many producers wholesale goods/ services to businesses.

Consumers are consumers though and this is a forum for consumers i.e. the public???

Many businesses also offer discounts to consumers for multiple purchases of items. That is what we are talking of here. An An Post fail miserably at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm fairly certain they'd prefer *less* awkward shaped hand written items so encouraging Christmas cards would be counter productive

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain they'd prefer *less* awkward shaped hand written items so encouraging Christmas cards would be counter productive

Well, they must be processing less and less ordinary business mail. Used to be a very rare day that the local postman didn't call here. Now only every other day at most.

Advertisement