Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying through CAO with level 5 trouble

• 01-06-2018 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2

My professors deliberately ignored my emails that I had sent them more than a month ago on what assignments I had missed and how I was suppose to do them. I emailed them again a week ago and they finally responded, knowing that I could only resubmit (I didn't even submit them so they're not resubmissions, because I was not told what the assignments were even though I emailed them professor multiple times months ago)my assignments after the CAO results in august( which I was not informed of at all of resubmission all the way in august, I just knew that I was able to resubmit it whenever I could) as the external examiner had already corrected the assignments, in order for me to do a level 6 at their college again. I contacted the deputy principal which I was told to contact, about this topic and he just apologized and said nothing could be done but just to appeal. Another scenario was that I also resubmitted my some other assignments in order to get a better grade a month ago before the external examiner correction and was told I could not do that and wasn't given a reason for it, I then tried to resubmit my assignments for a better grade 2 weeks ago and was told that I could not resubmit my assignments since the external examiner had already corrected the assignments and there was nothing I could do. I afterwards asked why he did not accept them a month ago and I was not given a response via email. I have also noticed a lot of deliberate schemes in order to make me do another year at their college, such as no information on certain topics relating such as using my level 5 to get into a level 7 or 8, when asking them about it, avoiding the question, and stuff like these, I am really annoyed by their professionalism and was wondering if I could be able to submit my assignments that I missed out on to an external examiner directly or to someone that is not connected to my college since talking to the people teaching at my college is going no where.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

But you had already submitted assignments, had you not?

You were just not allowed resubmit them, which seems fair enough to me. Most people don't get a second chance at an assessment.

Am I misunderstanding you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭blueberrypie

Am I missing something ...
    I don't mean to be harsh but shouldn't you be in control of what assignments you had handed in and not be asking lecturers what you have left to submit. Level 5 is not secondary level (where secondary teachers spoon feed information like this). When in lectures/class was it not outlined to you initially what was to be put into the assignment. What was your attendance like? Is there any reason why lecturers were not communicating with you?

Anyways besides that....

In Further Education colleges, there are usually talks advertised throughout the year where colleges and universities talk to students to explain what is needed module wise and points wise to progress onto their courses.
    There should also be CAO information sessions throughout the year organised as well to give you the information you needed regarding deadlines. This info is also online.

It would have been in your interest to have had your questions ready giving you time to have it sorted well before Christmas/January.

The idea behind FE colleges nowadays is that they are a stepping stone onto the level 7/8 courses. FE colleges are part of the process and would be making a mistake trying to hold you back if you were able to progress on.
    There is a huge issue with falling numbers at the moment in FE colleges, even on the more popular courses like hairdressing.

Maybe an appointment with the Career Guidance office would have been more beneficial than approaching individual lecturers as sometimes they are not in the know about progressing onto level 7 and 8 courses outside of their own FE teaching module.

In order to know if specific level 5 modules are accepted by IT's and Universities you need to get your hands on what UCC call a "Links book".
    It outlines what modules are accepted according to their codes and it outlines the specific grades etc.
    It also outlines the exact number of students accepted from a level 5/6 onto the course. It is usually printed and distributed in October for the following years graduates. It should also be available online.
    Every year there are changes made. A recent change is the Work experience is no longer counted as one of the distinctions.
    Alternatively your college should have the information on previous graduates and where they progressed to and you would have been able to see if people would your level 5 course were accepted previously. Alot of the information I have spoken about is freely available online you just have to know where to look for it.
    https://corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/university-college-cork/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q5QjQuIjtVR3uF_nk0vhVuLCyXgMRouW5dKjSppctHI/pubhtml

At this stage check CAO website to see if you can you get in with a late application I think the deadline was May but I could be wrong.
    Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Advertisement