Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday with 6 month old

Options
  • 01-06-2018 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi there. Hoping for some advice on holidaying with our.newborn later in the year. We are thinking of Majorca / Ibiza for a chilled out holiday.. some sun and a break with our new baby who will be 6 months in September.

Is a villa / self catering apartment / hotel better do you think?

What else should we consider? Well hire a car and hopefully stay close to a town so that we can walk in in the evenings etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Hi there. Hoping for some advice on holidaying with our.newborn later in the year. We are thinking of Majorca / Ibiza for a chilled out holiday.. some sun and a break with our new baby who will be 6 months in September.

Is a villa / self catering apartment / hotel better do you think?

What else should we consider? Well hire a car and hopefully stay close to a town so that we can walk in in the evenings etc.

Thanks in advance!

I'd knock the hotel on the head. My experience/recollection is that nap times (and the night times with the extra heat) can be troublesome - even a previoulsy reliable pram sleeper might struggle with the noise/heat, such that you'll appreciate the extra space that an apartment/villa will offer over being stuck in a hotel room.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

uberwolf wrote: »
    I'd knock the hotel on the head. My experience/recollection is that nap times (and the night times with the extra heat) can be troublesome - even a previoulsy reliable pram sleeper might struggle with the noise/heat, such that you'll appreciate the extra space that an apartment/villa will offer over being stuck in a hotel room.

Good shout! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the one extra thought that occurred is that a lot of hotels have apartment style facilties as well on the grounds. That might be a good balance as they'll have babysitters etc available such that if you get brave you'll be able to get to the bar/restaurant with the accom relatively nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Would definitely recommend accommodation that has a separate bedroom to make night times / naps easier. Would also recommend something that has a kitchen / kitchenette if baby is on solids as it’ll make preparing their food a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Went to north Majorca with the family a long time ago; the north is generally for families, with the south (Palma) for the younger generation. I think we went to a place on the north east, but not sure. Stayed at purpose built self-serve accommodation in a small resort. There was a small village nearby for food, and a shop on the resort for bread, milk & basics.
    I suppose you'll need to check if the resort will be busy; otherwise it'll be fairly drab, and the facilities may not all be open.

• Advertisement

Great steer everyone! It's a little.bit daunting but will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Personally I'd prefer an apartment in a hotel. This is what we had in Italy. Separate living room + kitchenette allowed us to make bottles store food etc. However we also had the luxury of getting room service for our self etc.

appledrop wrote: »
    Personally I'd prefer an apartment in a hotel. This is what we had in Italy. Separate living room + kitchenette allowed us to make bottles store food etc. However we also had the luxury of getting room service for our self etc.

Can definitely see why this would be good. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

apartment in an all inclusive hotel is your only man
    You can go out locally for dinner etc if baby in good form
    can stay to eat in hotel and dash if baby cranky
    plenty of food and snacks to take for the day at pool or beach
    own bedroom for naps and kitchen etc for baby stuff

We have been to 3 great ones...PM for details if you like

Advertisement