Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skellig Michael

Options
  • 01-06-2018 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Planning a staycation this year with the family and was hoping to do Skellig Michael for a day trip as we are down in Parknasilla

Just priced it and its coming in at min 85eur per person. (Family of 4)

I can get a flight to the UK cheaper than this....ripoff Ireland

Are the prices inflated recently cos of the Star Wars connection or has it always been this expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Heard it was 50 before SW, so it was always dear enough to visit, but I'm sure the demand has exploded since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

NIMAN wrote: »
    Heard it was 50 before SW, so it was always dear enough to visit, but I'm sure the demand has exploded since.

I think it's a 2.5 hours trip out to the rock, then couple hours on it and the subsequent trip back to the mainland so nearly a whole day. A far as I know they supposed to be fully booked for the year but I could be wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Landings are limited by the OPW, so this will make it expensive to run boats. Worth every cent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Details here http://skelligislands.com/

85 to land
    40 to go around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭micks_address

Details here http://skelligislands.com/

85 to land
    40 to go around

We went last year. Thought it was 150 for two. It's a fair boat trip out and tough climb to top.. Great to do though. Weather bit of a lottery. Was touch and go day we went in late August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Might hold off as don’t think my 2 lads would be up for it and spending that kind of money on them
    Anybody got suggestions for things to do in that neck of woods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Might hold off as don’t think my 2 lads would be up for it and spending that kind of money on them

Valentia Island is where the first radio signal to the US was sent from.
    Also had a terrapod foot print an the highest cliffs.

Head up to Finians bay to the chocolate factory.

Kells bay gardens is also worth a visit with the kids.

Ballinskelligs also has a fantastic beach

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah we didn't bring kids as it's probably a little dangerous for them to be honest. I wouldn't bring anyone under 15 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

The trip around by boat was worth the money in my opinion. We didn't climb the rock but got spectacular views. Boat journey took a fair bit of time, and the swell was up, so definitely not for anyone with a weak stomach!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

If you’re staying in Parknasilla, Seafaring in Kenmare is nearby and good. Nice beach and gardens in Derrynane, closer to Waterville. If you want to head closer to Cahersiveen, you could go the Skelligs Chocolates via Ballinskelligs (good beach), then head to Portmagee and onto Valentina. You can get a ferry from Knightstown to Close to Cahersiveen and go to the ring forts nearby or head to Kells. The owner of Kells Bay Gardens won a medal at the Chelsea Flower Show last week for his ferns. Longest rope bridge in Ireland there.

• Advertisement

My lads 15 & 17 so not an issue there
    Thanks for the info
    Keep it coming
    Definitely the tetrapod track on Valentia sounds great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

V
    Ballinskelligs also has a fantastic beach

SSSHHHHHHHHH!!!! Don't let the rest of them know!!! ;)

The Skelligs are dear but more than worth it. Try and go to Ballinskelligs on a Sunday morning. There is a lovely although small market in the Cafe at the beach with live music and a magical atmosphere. Valentia is fantastic too. Stop for an ice cream in the Valentia creamery or have some lunch in the Moorings ,Portmagee or in the Skellig chocolate factory. Make sure to drive the Skellig ring and ride the ferry back to Cahersiveen. If you get the weather, it is heaven on earth down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You might get flights to London , but an organised day tour there will cost the same or more.

I don’t believe it’s fair calling it a ripoff. It’s comparable to day yours all around The world

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Landings are limited by the OPW, so this will make it expensive to run boats.

How does the number of licences issued by the OPW affect the cost of running a boat to the islands?

It's more likely that less competition means a closed shop so extortionate rates can be charged via price fixing among the operators.

coylemj wrote: »
    How does the number of licences issued by the OPW affect the cost of running a boat to the islands?

It's more likely that less competition means a closed shop so extortionate rates can be charged via price fixing among the operators.

I know one operator and believe me he earns every cent of what he gets. The water down there can get right rough and it is littered in rocks so only an experienced operator can realistically sail. Its a 2 hour trip minimum, you can only take a limited amount of passengers in a day. Diesel alone would run into the hundreds to begin with. They are not making extortionate amounts of money irregardless of what you may think, a living wage realistically.

And another thing, these rural and isolated areas rely on the tourist dime which is very much a seasonal window. March to September and even at that it is narrow as it only properly kicks off when kids are off school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's pricey... Was 80 bucks at the end of last summer, before the " last jedi"
    Those boats and fuel ain't cheap.. And it's a lot of time on the boat... But the prices are getting sky high...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

We went last summer and it was worth every penny. There are only about 15 boats that are allowed go and land at any one day if I recall correctly, with limited passenger numbers. Nobody is earning big bucks. The journey is over an hour out and again back. If you are lucky enough to land, you get to spend another few hours on the island. We got very lucky with perfect weather. We saw dolphins on the way also. Magical. If you get a chance I highly recommend it. It’s definitely been one of my more memorable trips and I’ve seen quite a bit of the world. Teenagers would be well able for it too. I didn’t think it was that bad to climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know one operator and believe me he earns every cent of what he gets.....

I have no argument with the points you're making. I was simply questioning a poster (post #4) who claimed that it was more expensive to run a service because the OPW limited the number of licences, something which makes no sense whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I have no argument with the points you're making. I was simply questioning a poster (post #4) who claimed that it was more expensive to run a service because the OPW limited the number of licences, something which makes no sense whatsoever.
    The number of landings is limited, which means that a licensed operator never has a ‘busy’ day. Doesn’t matter what the demand is, they can only make a set number of trips, which means their fixed costs are more expensive per passenger. And if the weather is bad, they don’t sail. No trip, no income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 irlgw

I can understand them wanting to charge those sort of numbers to tourists but irish citizens should not have to pay anywhere near those prices and as a part of Ireland any charge other than transport is shambolic. Are they going to try the same thing to the Aaran Islands? I have a RIB and planning to take a trip out there later in the summer and wont be paying a penny more than I think its worth that's for sure.

Starwars production team probably paid handsomely (unconfirmed) so why not use that to offset whatever maintenance they do. Myabe put a few less steel artworks on the motorway and re0direct the money if required.

If they want crowd control then having a booking system by all means. If its erosion concerns then put in proper pathways and section off vulnerable areas. They try to run a similar scam at the giants causeway but actually so long as you don't use the visitors centre they cannot force you to pay despite what the attendants tell you. They just try to bully everyone into paying! To make the cost prohibitive that puts it out of reach of Irish families on low income is just not on in my opinion. The boat men make enough money to make it worth their while.

Maybe I missed something but who in their right mind would agree with those rates unless benefitting from them in some way...rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Planning a staycation this year with the family and was hoping to do Skellig Michael for a day trip as we are down in Parknasilla

Just priced it and its coming in at min 85eur per person. (Family of 4)

I can get a flight to the UK cheaper than this....ripoff Ireland

Are the prices inflated recently cos of the Star Wars connection or has it always been this expensive?

Before making assumptions, maybe learn a little about what is offered.

1. If weather conditions prevent sailing, there is a full refund.

2. Insurance is high.

3. Each boat can make just one trip a day (unlike aircraft that can make several round trips every day)

4. Boats have a maximum capacity of 12 people. (a 737 can carry up to 215)

5. The season is limited from mid may to end September.

6. They don't charge extra for bringing a bag. No "priority" boarding charge. No extortionate fees for tiny cans of minerals. No charge for selecting your seats. And they also don't sell scratchcards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It impacts, because the process of getting a boat up to license standard and taking the number of days they might not be able to get in means they need to charge a commercially viable rate. Does that clear it up for you??

irlgw wrote: »
    I can understand them wanting to charge those sort of numbers to tourists but irish citizens should not have to pay anywhere near those prices and as a part of Ireland any charge other than transport is shambolic. Are they going to try the same thing to the Aaran Islands? I have a RIB and planning to take a trip out there later in the summer and wont be paying a penny more than I think its worth that's for sure.

Starwars production team probably paid handsomely (unconfirmed) so why not use that to offset whatever maintenance they do. Myabe put a few less steel artworks on the motorway and re0direct the money if required.

If they want crowd control then having a booking system by all means. If its erosion concerns then put in proper pathways and section off vulnerable areas. They try to run a similar scam at the giants causeway but actually so long as you don't use the visitors centre they cannot force you to pay despite what the attendants tell you. They just try to bully everyone into paying! To make the cost prohibitive that puts it out of reach of Irish families on low income is just not on in my opinion. The boat men make enough money to make it worth their while.

Maybe I missed something but who in their right mind would agree with those rates unless benefitting from them in some way...rant over
    I'd stop now, before you embarrass yourself further. How exactly do you put " proper pathways" in Skellig? The second Star Wars wasn't filmed on the island at all. You knew that, right?
    And do you expect the boat men to run at a loss?

Gob****es with RIBS/4 WDs etc. who think they are above the law are the reason that many sites have to be closed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

There are approximately 130 sailing days,
    12 people per day @ €85

That's a maximum €132k per season. Add maybe extra 20-30k for other excursions and you are at 160k maximum turnover based on zero weather cancellations and 100% sailing capacity.

Reality is probably 120k

Two crew
    Licence fee
    Insurance
    Cost of vessel

And if it was so lucrative, why do some operators work aa fishermen in the winter?

But sure you know best as you always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

irlgw wrote: »

Ridiculous statements. It was worth every penny when I went. And every boat was full so people are obviously very willing to pay to see this UNESCO site. I never understood why tourists would be charged more compared to nationals when I travelled abroad and did tours.

Thanks for all the replies and apologies if I came across all negative in terms of the pricing.....I was just wondering if prices had jumped in the last yr after the SW movie
    I had a look at the OPW video on youtube of the rock and think we might just look at the boat trip only as I have serious fear of heights and this steep climb would have me on edge the whole day
    Not sure I'd be able to do it tbh
    Will have a look again at the boat trips only....is it worth it just to do the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks for all the replies and apologies if I came across all negative in terms of the pricing.....I was just wondering if prices had jumped in the last yr after the SW movie
    I had a look at the OPW video on youtube of the rock and think we might just look at the boat trip only as I have serious fear of heights and this steep climb would have me on edge the whole day
    Not sure I'd be able to do it tbh
    Will have a look again at the boat trips only....is it worth it just to do the boat?
    I'm a total wuzz re heights, and only moderately fit - and I climbed to the top a few years ago (think it was €50 at the time) - and it was hands down one of the best and most amazing experiences ever. It's just.... bizarre.

Unless you think you'd actually be paralysed with fear, I'd recommend landing on the rock - spinning around it on a boat will only be teasing yourself!

I would definitely class it as an experience of a lifetime.

(Having said that, the day I was originally meant to go, I was told tours were cancelled because of the weather. Turned out the boat did actually go, but I'd really hate to have been doing it that day, it was hammering rain and really windy, and it would have been lethal. I got to go the next day, and it was fine. You can judge that at the time, money is only handed over when you board the boat, or at least that's how it was done then)

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm a total wuzz re heights, and only moderately fit - and I climbed to the top a few years ago (think it was €50 at the time) - and it was hands down one of the best and most amazing experiences ever. It's just.... bizarre.

Unless you think you'd actually be paralysed with fear, I'd recommend landing on the rock - spinning around it on a boat will only be teasing yourself!

I would definitely class it as an experience of a lifetime.

(Having said that, the day I was originally meant to go, I was told tours were cancelled because of the weather. Turned out the boat did actually go, but I'd really hate to have been doing it that day, it was hammering rain and really windy, and it would have been lethal. I got to go the next day, and it was fine. You can judge that at the time, money is only handed over when you board the boat, or at least that's how it was done then)

I'm bad enough on my own but with my kids there I'd be constantly stressing about them aswell
    Big lads as they are I just get panic attacks with heights or near cliff edges

Advertisement