Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunglasses for short sighted

• 01-06-2018 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Want to get a pair that helps my sight (I’m short sighted) but if I was not to bother with getting a prescription pair is there any options or tips boardsies can offer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

If you don’t want to get prescription sunglasses, I would think clip ons over your regular glasses (they can look bulky/hard to size) or wear contact lenses with regular glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Why did someone tell you not to bother?

Your options are:
    -contact lenses with normal sunglasses
    -clip-ons over your regular glasses (but good luck with this - very few frames can actually be fitted with clip-ons, and they look naff
    -change the lenses in your everyday glasses to Transitions, so they darken outdoors
    -be blind

The best option of all is prescription sunglasses though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I’ve tried pretty much every option in the book but the only good solution that allows you to look decent and still see is either prescription sunglasses or get contacts for summer use with regular sunglasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Fair enough, I remember buying a pair in dundrum years ago and the sales assistant recommended a pair because the lens enhanced vision rather than just being dark glass. I didn’t buy that pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Fair enough, I remember buying a pair in dundrum years ago and the sales assistant recommended a pair because the lens enhanced vision rather than just being dark glass. I didn’t buy that pair.

Probably a polarised lens? Much better for glare - a very noticeable difference, especially when driving.

• Advertisement

Definitely prescription sunglasses.

If you’re like me and hate normal glasses then you’ll find yourself wearing the sunglasses all the time. I lost my daughter in hollister once, was going round shop for ages and couldn’t see a thing. Took me about 10 minutes to realise I had sunglasses on haha. That place is soooo dark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Probably a polarised lens? Much better for glare - a very noticeable difference, especially when driving.

Maybe but I’m not sure polarized was what was meant. it was sold by the shop assistant as I think a kind of crystalised lens. Anyway if no one has heard of it I’ll forget it get and consider a prescription pair

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

Want to get a pair that helps my sight (I’m short sighted) but if I was not to bother with getting a prescription pair is there any options or tips boardsies can offer?

I wear sunglasses that fit over your regular glasses. €15 in most chemists. If you have your contacts in, they can be worn as regular sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

I'm not sure if it would be of assistance,I have been looking for maybe 2 years for decent sunglasses.I went into the National Optometry Centre on Kevin At,they are part of DIT.They have excellent selection of sunglasses plus the bonus of an optician to assist.They even have bifocal sunglasses.I bought spirit of
    "Mauritius Jim " , never heard of them before.Vastly superior to the usual brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

I get prescription glasses and sunglasses from SmartBuyGlasses.ie. They match the tint/colour of the original glasses. Find them very good and never had any customs issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I have a pair of Polaroid sun covers, they fit perfectly over my regular glasses and look the same as normal sunglasses. The clip on ones look awful IMO, aren't large enough to cover my frames and don't provide any protection from glare getting in above the frame. They're polarised too. No idea what they cost though.

Advertisement