Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build data point advice

Options
  • 02-06-2018 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all

I'm building a new home and am at a stage when I can run cat 6/ camera cable etc. Any advice on how many cables I should run where ? House has concrete floors upstairs and an attic. I could run 32mm waste pipes and have string through for pulling cable after, I'm just unsure as to run what where and why!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 t.kc

Hi all

I'm building a new home and am at a stage when I can run cat 6/ camera cable etc. Any advice on how many cables I should run where ? House has concrete floors upstairs and an attic. I could run 32mm waste pipes and have string through for pulling cable after, I'm just unsure as to run what where and why!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Spamming this thread is against ToS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If it was me I’d run 2 to every tv point 2 to the kitchen work top 2 to where the heating system sits and 1 to wherever you think you might need a camera, run everything back to a central location say the attic or a utility room and make sure that the likes of eircom cables can also make it there. Also make sure you have power available at that point. This would give you good flexibility on the future, although that said lots of things will end up wireless anyway but if your building best do it anyway.

ED E wrote: »
    Spamming this thread is against ToS.

Sorry rarely post here. Wasn't sure what forum it belonged in

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

At a minimum I would install the following CAT6 data points:

- Everywhere I want a wifi router. With concrete floors you will need additional to provide descent coverage.
    - At each TV
    - Satellite box / PS2 /Xbox / media streaming device
    - At each PC / laptop point
    - Internet radio
    - Printer (get a network printer)
    - Phone
    - CCTV
    - Intercom handset
    - Network drive
    - Intruder alarm panel

I am sure I am forgetting a few.
    As a general rule for the fastest most reliable connection a hardwired point is best.

Each point should be wired back to a common location where the network switch will be installed.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    At a minimum I would install the following CAT6 data points:

- Everywhere I want a wifi router. With concrete floors you will need additional to provide descent coverage.
    - At each TV
    - Satellite box / PS2 /Xbox / media streaming device
    - At each PC / laptop point
    - Internet radio
    - Printer (get a network printer)
    - Phone
    - CCTV
    - Intercom handset
    - Network drive
    - Intruder alarm panel

I am sure I am forgetting a few.
    As a general rule for the fastest most reliable connection a hardwired point is best.

Each point should be wired back to a common location where the network switch will be installed.

Thanks 2011. Is that one cat 6 for each of those items u mentioned ? Would you run them to an attic upstairs ? I have an office downstairs so could run all to.there or down stairs to office and then upstairs to attic and join attic to office ?

Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭davidconroy46

Well first do your home work on were Dvr/nvr is to go. Run each cat5/cat6 to were your putting cameras poss two to the back, two to the front. Poss one to each side of house as .well while your at it you could run a cable from outside front door for camera intercom kit. Run to were your putting the video unit.and another from video kit to were your going to put power supply unit. For cameras around house ip would be a better option.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

t.kc wrote: »
    Is that one cat 6 for each of those items u mentioned ?

Two per point would be best (if the budget allows) but one per point would do.
    Would you run them to an attic upstairs ? I have an office downstairs so could run all to.there or down stairs to office and then upstairs to attic and join attic to office ?

If it was me, utility room. Obviously the incoming internet connection needs to be run to the same point.

Mode note: Please do not post the same thread on multiple forums. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭davidconroy46

Also run 1 cable from dvr/nvr to router for remote viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tkc.

You've posted this in the electrical forum ready. Please don't spam the forums with copy and pasted threads it's against the house rules. Thank you
    for understanding.
    Also this has been covered before, you'll get great info on the electrical thread if you use search, might find something interesting in an older thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement