Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training

Options
  • 02-06-2018 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Looking for tips.

What is the minimum level of indicated understanding to know if child is ready? On day 2 and even when pants get wet my boy doesn't seem to notice/ mind let alone tell me. On the other hand, when going without pants and he sees wee/ poo on the floor, he does tell me. He also Announced the "brown" when he left a nice deposit! Hr didn't know what it was!

Carpeted areas are a pain. I have restricted him to hall kitchen and bathroom but it's a struggle keeping him out of his bedroom ( it's downstairs and it doubles up as playroom) and the TV room. I have laptop for some cartoons and toys in the tiled areas. How long do I give it as it's already getting trying! .

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

How old is he 73trix?I found it didn't click at all til.about day three, I think that was when she eventually did a wee in a potty.Didn't get worked up about poos at first, I knew they would take longer to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

73trix there was a big thread 2 years ago if you search “toilet training” it has 14 pages in it!
    I was toilet training my guy at the time!!

I can’t remember the details but I stayed in while training which I hated!!! I also had just come out of hospital after an op so it probably wasn’t the best time to do it!!!!

If you aren’t getting much success don’t worry try again in a month ;) As a colleague said to me “he won’t be walking up the aisle in nappy!!” ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

3.5 yrs. It's not a prob to quit and try later but not sure at what point to quit. Should he be able to tell me when he needs potty? He tells me when he's had an accident but not in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Took a long time for my girl to say it.A LONG time.I just sat her on the loo every half hour or so.I mean they have to realise there's a sensation of having to go, make the connection that the feeling means go to the loo then attach the words to it....before it happens.And most of them only realise at the last possible moment for the first while anyway.It takes time, I definitely wouldn't expect it after a couple of days. Depends I mean you can certainly persevere with it at that age, I would say.But it's up to yourself really.The one thing I found as with all children related things, the bigger an issue you make out of it, the less likely they are to buy into it.It's a lot of work....

Was hoping there'd be the foundation to let his preschool continue with it when he goes back in. Not sure what stage he'd need to be at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m a long ways from this problem (5 month old baby) but I’m signed up to Sarah Ockwell-Smiths newsletter for the sleep tips and she also has a toilet training book. This arrived in my inbox this week so I thought I’d post in case it helps :)

https://sarahockwell-smith.com/2017/10/22/potty-problems-qa-part-1-pee/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Do you have a garden?

With the nice weather it's a good time to let them run free in the garden without any pants and leave a potty somewhere close by for them. Plus you don't have the issues of having to constantly wash clothes and cleanup after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

my one was 2 when she started going to creche and a lady from there started her on potty training: within couple of weeks it was well under control.
    this made our lives easier, so this would be my tip: a creche can do miracles for a toddler's development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

73trix wrote: »
    3.5 yrs. It's not a prob to quit and try later but not sure at what point to quit. Should he be able to tell me when he needs potty? He tells me when he's had an accident but not in advance.

I think you need to routinely pop him onto potty every 15/20 mins. Actually at 3.5 he might find the potty a bit small so the toilet with an insert might be better. It can take time for some kids, especially those who may have other stuff going on, to make the connection. Even after an accident, pop him on the toilet for a second to reinforce the wee-toilet connection. I'd give it a week and if he's not making any progress maybe park it for another month or two and try again. He will do it so don't fret.

yellow hen wrote: »
    I think you need to routinely pop him onto potty every 15/20 mins. Actually at 3.5 he might find the potty a bit small so the toilet with an insert might be better. It can take time for some kids, especially those who may have other stuff going on, to make the connection. Even after an accident, pop him on the toilet for a second to reinforce the wee-toilet connection. I'd give it a week and if he's not making any progress maybe park it for another month or two and try again. He will do it so don't fret.

I didn't think of putting him on after an accident actually. I usually go straight for the mop! :o

Any advice on the fact that on day 7 we've planned to go on a trip to the zoo. I had hoped either we get it in 7 days or abandon but don't want to abandon if we're getting there either. It would be a nuisance on a day like that but by 3 more days he could be grasping it? It's a family get-together so don't fancy cancelling. From now on, there is always going to be something on...

• Advertisement

3 months on and getting ready to try again! How did you manage carpeted areas? Did you put sheeting down / just clean the accidents from carpet?/( ugh) or banish from carpeted rooms ? I'm dreading the hassle and trying to keep him out of carpeted rooms especially as it's wet now so prob won't get outside and his baby sister will be trying to access all areas too! :confused:

I've heard of people leaving nappy on over pants so child get sensation of being wet etc but no mess but I'm not sure about that either?...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

We finally got out little guy toilet trained last month. He's 4.5 and has a bad speech delay.
    I basically just left him run around with no pants on and stuck to him like glue. Didn't let him in living room at all. But there are these disposable mats you can get in aldi which I did put on the couches just in case.

What i did and it's prob crazy, but I skipped the sitting on the potty part . I would bring him into toilet every half hour and I'd sit on the loo and hold out the potty for him while he washed his toys in the sink and then he would start to wee into the potty and I would make a big deal saying wow you went wee wee did u see how that felt. So that got him used to the feeling of needing to go. Prob did this for 2 days or so and then he started to tell me he needed to go himself. So now we are a month and a half in with zero accidents.

Prob not the most conventional way of doing it but it worked for us.

Best of luck!

Coopaloop wrote: »
    We finally got out little guy toilet trained last month. He's 4.5 and has a bad speech delay.
    I basically just left him run around with no pants on and stuck to him like glue. Didn't let him in living room at all. But there are these disposable mats you can get in aldi which I did put on the couches just in case.

What i did and it's prob crazy, but I skipped the sitting on the potty part . I would bring him into toilet every half hour and I'd sit on the loo and hold out the potty for him while he washed his toys in the sink and then he would start to wee into the potty and I would make a big deal saying wow you went wee wee did u see how that felt. So that got him used to the feeling of needing to go. Prob did this for 2 days or so and then he started to tell me he needed to go himself. So now we are a month and a half in with zero accidents.

Best of luck!
    Coopaloop wrote: »

Great idea! To be fair, we're doing a lot better this time round so it's clicking in. Feeling v optimistic that we'll nail it this time and am glad cos he's 4 next month. I got the Thomas the tank potty with a little insert for wees that he can take out himself and pour into big toilet and it's all very ceremonial and he likes putting potty parts back together etc. day 3 and we have let him back into the living room - carpet and fabric sofas redface.png - albeit with a waterproof mat underneath him and watching him like a hawk. He goes round in the pants now so at least the poo can get caught there rather than with no pants. We went no pants on day 1 but it went well and then I felt he was ready to start learning to pull up and down pants and he is. We didn't bother with the the batteries for the music in potty cos...jaysus...he'd be looking for music in every potty/ toilet so not going there!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

That's great, delighted it's going so well for you. It's definitely worth taking your cues from them. No use rushing them as they won't do it if they aren't ready.

It's such an achievement when they do it isn't it.

Advertisement