Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enable Messages in iCloud - Mac

Options
  • 02-06-2018 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

I've updated to 10.13.5 and according to the notes it says messages in iCloud is supported and it gives instructions to set it up. It says tick the box "Enable Messages in iCloud" in the preferences/accounts section of the Messages app on the Mac.

However when I go into preferences/accounts, the option is not there. It only has the "enable this account" box.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are you sure it updated successfully? Check "About this Mac". And I assume you already enabled it on your iPhone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Are you sure it updated successfully? Check "About this Mac". And I assume you already enabled it on your iPhone?

Yeah, about this Mac says 10.13.5 and in the App Store updates it says it was installed on June 1.

And yeah, it's enabled on the phone. I also have an MacBook Air for work and it's working fine on that (same number and account) its just my own iMac that it's not working.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Weird. Maybe try restarting. Also if you only recently enabled 2-factor authentication you might need to log back into iCloud on the Mac.

Could just be a bug. This feature was delayed by a year for a reason.

Weird. Maybe try restarting. Also if you only recently enabled 2-factor authentication you might need to log back into iCloud on the Mac.

Could just be a bug. This feature was delayed by a year for a reason.

You're probably right about it being a bug. I've tried all the restart/log out/log in etc. but no joy.

It's not too big a deal as most messages I get these days are via WhatsApp but you know when something that should work doesn't and it annoys you.

You're probably right about it being a bug. I've tried all the restart/log out/log in etc. but no joy.

It's not too big a deal as most messages I get these days are via WhatsApp but you know when something that should work doesn't and it annoys you.

Yep, stuff like that drives me mad. Most of the time the best thing to do is nothing, just wait it out until a fix is issued, but it's very annoying.

One other thing you could try is to install the combo update over the existing install. Someone in the Macrumors comments with the same problem said this worked for them.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1965?locale=en_GB

• Advertisement

Posted the question on Apple's support page and the solution that worked was clicking 'keychain' on in iCloud options. Simple as that as it turns out.

Now all I need is for someone to send me a text...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

I'm not clear on how this works. Should I now see Messages when I open my iCloud account using Safari?

JonMac wrote: »
    I'm not clear on how this works. Should I now see Messages when I open my iCloud account using Safari?

No, it's only for syncing messages between devices, i.e. if you delete a message on one device it will also delete it on all your other devices. Also means you don't have to restore from backup to get your messages back - which is good since corrupted backups are becoming more common. Viewing iMessages on iCloud.com isn't possible due to end-to-end encryption.

Advertisement