Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bare Knuckle Boxing

Options
  • 02-06-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭

The first sanctioned bare knuckled boxing event in the USA since the 19th century is taking place as a pay-per-view in Wyoming tonight (28 other states said "No" first apparently).

Seems to be a lot of (not very good) over the hill ex-MMA fighters for the most part. There's even 1 women's fight, featuring freshly cut from the UFC, Bec Rawlings.

Weigh in video:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The first sanctioned bare knuckled boxing event in the USA since the 19th century is taking place as a pay-per-view in Wyoming tonight (28 other states said "No" first apparently).

Seems to be a lot of (not very good) over the hill ex-MMA fighters for the most part. There's even 1 women's fight, featuring freshly cut from the UFC, Bec Rawlings.

Weigh in video:

As long as they have the "Fair Play" men in the middle looking after things it should be grand :pac:

(My serious response is that it's ridiculous and shouldn't be sanctioned anywhere. It's stupid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Rediculous. Broken down or never good enough fighters breaking up their hands and faces for a paycheck. Disgusting really it’s as low as dog fighting.
    Like bum fights but the fighters are trained to kill each other.

I wonder how many times you can fight with no gloves before your hands are like bags of broken glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Jesus, alot of unfit looking slobs in that line up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The UK have been running events over the past few years and are drawing decents crowds. Did 5000 in Coventry recently. They cross promote with US promotions and have world titles.

Seedy underbelly involved though. The UK promotion is run by Liverpool ex gangster Shaun Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Irishman davey joyce i think won some title recently at coventry against a huge polish guy, he has good amateur pedigree and youtube fights lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

There's a documentary series on Netflix (may be Amazon but I'm 99% sure it's Netflix) following the UK bare knuckle scene. It's very well made and doesn't shy away from anything.

Right dodgy crowds at them. Some brutal fights. Not sure how I feel about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

The UK have been running events over the past few years and are drawing decents crowds. Did 5000 in Coventry recently. They cross promote with US promotions and have world titles.

Seedy underbelly involved though. The UK promotion is run by Liverpool ex gangster Shaun Smith.

Shaun Smith has gone straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Visconti wrote: »
    Shaun Smith has gone straight.

Of course he has

Weigh in video:

Any idea of the results ? Did bobby gunn win ? Looked like a handy night for Rodriguez.

I saw an article online somewhere that half of the participants were put on indefinite suspension or whatever you call it due to injuries sustained. As in they were medically assessed as not being able to compete again until further cleared

Covered in blood they were.

A feckin disgrace

• Advertisement

I saw an article online somewhere that half of the participants were put on indefinite suspension or whatever you call it due to injuries sustained. As in they were medically assessed as not being able to compete again until further cleared

Covered in blood they were.

A feckin disgrace

Must watch it, sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd rather damaged hands than a damaged brain. Cuts aside, surely it's safer to an extent than boxing with 10z gloves?

Assuming all medical checks and everything are done the same as boxing.

Must watch it, sounds amazing.

I know a few chippers you can visit on Saturday night as well if you're into it. Good few drunk young fellas flopping and swinging arms at each other

:pac:

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'd rather damaged hands than a damaged brain. Cuts aside, surely it's safer to an extent than boxing with 10z gloves?

Assuming all medical checks and everything are done the same as boxing.

Much safer for brain trauma.

I know a few chippers you can visit on Saturday night as well if you're into it. Good few drunk young fellas flopping and swinging arms at each other

:pac:

Your mixing up street fighting with bare knuckle boxing...... bkb when done by experienced fighters is beautiful, Fighters have to be more accurate with their shots and wait more for openings as its very easy to break your hand on your opponent's elbow or even head. You will never see bkb guys punch drunk like boxers as the volume is just not there .

Your mixing up street fighting with bare knuckle boxing...... bkb when done by experienced fighters is beautiful, Fighters have to be more accurate with their shots and wait more for openings as its very easy to break your hand on your opponent's elbow or even head. You will never see bkb guys punch drunk like boxers as the volume is just not there .

Pure bull. These lads are bare knuckle boxing because they don’t have precision to be pro boxers. Or speed or smarts or movement. Just desperation or refusal to do anything else for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Pure bull. These lads are bare knuckle boxing because they don’t have precision to be pro boxers. Or speed or smarts or movement. Just desperation or refusal to do anything else for a living.

Correct. Joe Savage was a gypsy king. Called out all the top heavyweights in the 90's and made a living telling everyone they were scared of him....then Bert Cooper, a mid ranked contender, took the challenge and...

Bobby Gunn, the unbeaten bare knuckle legend, has been absolutely whooped and Ko'ed by everybody and anybody in the pros. http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/287895

Precision has nothing to do with it.

Correct. Joe Savage was a gypsy king. Called out all the top heavyweights in the 90's and made a living telling everyone they were scared of him....then Bert Cooper, a mid ranked contender, took the challenge and...

Bobby Gunn, the unbeaten bare knuckle legend, has been absolutely whooped and Ko'ed by everybody and anybody in the pros. http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/287895

Precision has nothing to do with it.

Joe savage was no gyspy king he was a joke. Bartley Gorman would have beaten most top boxers of his day he was the last king of the gypsy. I agree about Bobby Gunn his fights look fake he is a joke.

Would you say that to their face

Would you say that to their face

That they arnt good enough to fight professionally at boxing?
    I’m sure they have already been told that.
    Are you suggesting they are a bunch of scumbags that’d attack me for saying this?
    I’d be doing them a favor telling them that they are being taken advantage of and would make more money over their career if they worked in a supermarket.

• Advertisement

That they arnt good enough to fight professionally at boxing?
    I’m sure they have already been told that.
    Are you suggesting they are a bunch of scumbags that’d attack me for saying this?
    I’d be doing them a favor telling them that they are being taken advantage of and would make more money over their career if they worked in a supermarket.

You clearly dont have a fighters heart or mind. Bkb is a sport like any other. Should the guys who dont get a cent for playing GAA or Rugby at a low level pack it in too ? Have you seen some of the injuries at club level. Some people do this stuff to test themselves. Others slag them from behind a keyboard. I believe they should be allowed to do what they want. They are all part time fighters too so have jobs in gyms, shops, building sites whatever.

You clearly dont have a fighters heart or mind. Bkb is a sport like any other. Should the guys who dont get a cent for playing GAA or Rugby at a low level pack it in too ? Have you seen some of the injuries at club level. Some people do this stuff to test themselves. Others slag them from behind a keyboard. I believe they should be allowed to do what they want. They are all part time fighters too so have jobs in gyms, shops, building sites whatever.

I understand your point but don't necessarily agree with it. I don't think you are arguing the same argument as the other poster.

I think a line should be drawn somewhere.
    For an example, I'll go to an extreme. I don't think it should be allowed to take two homeless junkies and give them each 1000 quid to fight until one is in a coma. Doesn't matter if it's what they want to do.

There needs to be standards and controls. And if someone isn't fit to partake in something, they shouldn't be allowed to.

I understand your point but don't necessarily agree with it. I don't think you are arguing the same argument as the other poster.

I think a line should be drawn somewhere.
    For an example, I'll go to an extreme. I don't think it should be allowed to take two homeless junkies and give them each 1000 quid to fight until one is in a coma. Doesn't matter if it's what they want to do.

There needs to be standards and controls. And if someone isn't fit to partake in something, they shouldn't be allowed to.

I totally agree with everything you said. But everyone cant be at the top there has to be levels. If people want to wear gloves or not it should be their choice. If people are evenly matched and fit to fight with doctors etc present why should they not ?

https://youtu.be/AWOqjwKmlIU

This Lady enjoyed her experience. I am old school and would not enjoy watching women fight (just my personal preference) but her interview is worth watching and who are we to stop anyone doing what they love.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Some of that was a tough watch. At least they had Dan Miragliotta in there as ref.

Advertisement