Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smarten up large plywood area, grooves or battens

• 02-06-2018 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

To build a binhouse - after evaluating my tools, skills , materials I went with welded angle frame and large plywood sheets. So I got the plywood, primed, UC and painted.. However it went a bit cheap looking.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aSvYMOKx8sSxDHEk2

What could be done to improve large plywood surface.

Could I put some grooves in to simulate t&g.

Could I add some 1" lats and make it look like battened.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Fix a window planter box and some trellis and grow some sweet peas up it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

trying to t&g that now would be a pain in the ass

I think trellis is a great idea. or you could put some cheap T&G lats on it and varnish the bjaysus out of it.

I did something similar but used treated 25mm lats I stained to look like cedar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭G-Man

I wanted to go with stained/varnished lats but was rejected and needed to be painted to match in with other green elements. Painted lats was going to take too long - and not cheap either.

I thought a strong frame and plywood wood to the trick. However I learned you need to be quality painter to get it nice smooth looking - I failed, its an eyesore now..

Trellis sounds good. ... Now if I had a known that at the start, I would have done it all that - thanks anyhow.

Would sweet pea die back in autumn... Might go with ivy instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Pyracantha covers well and looks good all year round. It's easy to train to trellis or wire and can be kept cut back nice and tidy.

Advertisement