Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 week holiday to Australia

Options
  • 02-06-2018 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve got some relatives on the west coast of Australia that o would like to go to visit. But with work my time off is obviously limited. I would have max 12 annual leave days to play with and that includes recovery after coming home.

Is doing that journey for such a short time a ridiculous idea or has anyone done similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've gone for 8 nights and it was grand. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s more just coming back concerns me but good to know that others have done a short trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Anyone here got advice? Main reason is to visit a relative who is unable to make the journey over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I live in Sydney and went home for 2 weeks at Christmas. Wouldn't bother worrying about the recovery when you get back, you can deal with it. Use the weekends to your advantage with your annual leave. Book it so you arrive back in Ireland on a Saturday evening/night and you'll have 2 nights before you're back to work on the Monday. You'll be tired for your first week back but that's life.

• Advertisement

punk_one82 wrote: »
    I live in Sydney and went home for 2 weeks at Christmas. Wouldn't bother worrying about the recovery when you get back, you can deal with it. Use the weekends to your advantage with your annual leave. Book it so you arrive back in Ireland on a Saturday evening/night and you'll have 2 nights before you're back to work on the Monday. You'll be tired for your first week back but that's life.

Yes was looking at arriving back in Saturday morning so then have 2 nights. On the way out I was thinking of getting there in the evening so then I can just stay up for a few hours and go to bed at a normal time. I’m f my idea works I think I can do it for 11 days annual leave. It’s not going to be until early 2019 at this stage so a bit soon to be looking at flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes was looking at arriving back in Saturday morning so then have 2 nights. On the way out I was thinking of getting there in the evening so then I can just stay up for a few hours and go to bed at a normal time. I’m f my idea works I think I can do it for 11 days annual leave. It’s not going to be until early 2019 at this stage so a bit soon to be looking at flights.

I prefer to arrive on morning flight, stay up til 8 or 9 pm and get a good nights sleep. If you can sleep as much as possible on 2nd leg of flight it makes this a bit easier.
    I spent a couple of weeks in Oz earlier this year and my flight landed around 10pm, found it really difficult to get a proper sleeping rhythm going for the first few days - never had that problem on early flight.

Set up an alert on Skyscanner/Kayak for your proposed dates to keep an eye on fares - flights will be available to book now.

My original idea was to go in April 2019 around Easter because I would have Good Friday and Easter Monday off anyway. But this far in advance flights are €1400 for those dates so might need to change that.

Ifeelstupid, leave Dublin on Friday afternoon and then get back Friday night or Saturday morning.?
    If I left at lunchtime onFriday I would get to their house about 7pm Saturday evening so then I was thinking I’d just meet everyone, eat something, shower then bed by midnight. Coming back if I left late at night on. Friday I would be in Dublin by lunchtime on Saturday. So that gives me 13 days there for 11 days annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

What price are you expecting? I usually fly in the other direction and that price seems normal, what is it usually flying ireland to aus?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wouldn’t over think the jet lag too much, your only going for a couple of weeks so get the flights that suit you best and just deal with whatever jet lag is thrown at you.

• Advertisement

Noo wrote: »
    What price are you expecting? I usually fly in the other direction and that price seems normal, what is it usually flying ireland to aus?

Closer to €1000 , that seems to be the price at any other time

Singapore Airlines look a good bit cheaper but they are 2 stops so overall longer journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Gael23 wrote: »

Ifeelstupid, leave Dublin on Friday afternoon and then get back Friday night or Saturday morning.?
    If I left at lunchtime onFriday I would get to their house about 7pm Saturday evening so then I was thinking I’d just meet everyone, eat something, shower then bed by midnight. Coming back if I left late at night on. Friday I would be in Dublin by lunchtime on Saturday. So that gives me 13 days there for 11 days annual leave.

For some strange reason I find what works best for me is to arrive in Sydney early and arrive back into Dublin late in the day. I have taken the Saturday morning flight from Sydney - arriving into Dub on Sunday night and been at work on Monday. Can be a long day but I just get an early night again on Monday and find I'm back into the swing of things.
    You can get cheaper flights for sure if you are prepared to factor in extra stops but last couple of times I have flown Emirates with just about an hour or a little more stopover in Dubai. I have also flown Etihad thru Abu Dhabi. Would recommend either, decent in-flight system. Emirates fly the A380 from Dubai for the longer leg of the trip which is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Can you take some unpaid leave -maybe 4 or 5 days -woukd really make a difference? I remember how utterly wrecked I was when I got there - it really cost me about 2 or 3 days - I am well used to LH travel but I just couldnt function! Some months have a few handy bank holiday mondays in them which might help streatch it out a bit either? Good luck!

Can you take some unpaid leave -maybe 4 or 5 days -woukd really make a difference? I remember how utterly wrecked I was when I got there - it really cost me about 2 or 3 days - I am well used to LH travel but I just couldnt function! Some months have a few handy bank holiday mondays in them which might help streatch it out a bit either? Good luck!

That’s why I was thinking Easter, I would have Good Friday and Easter Monday off anyway so that’s 2 extra days, but the flights are so expensive lots of people must have the same idea

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I went to Sydney for a wedding last year. Got a flight from Dublin was on the Friday morning (around 8.30) Ethihad Airlines. Arrived there Sat eve. Stayed up a couple of hours & felt fine the following day (Sunday) The wedding was the following Saturday & left Sydney the following Friday. Flight was around 3.30pm & arrived back in Dublin 8am on the Saturday. I was more tired after coming home than when I arrived in Sydney. I was 13 night there. I wouldn't worry one bit about been jet lagged after coming home. You will be fine. I would go again in a heartbeat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I'm planning to go to Australia next July to visit family in Cairns for 3 or 4 weeks. I'm very nervous about travelling so far on my own. Any tips or recommendations about where to go or what to see? I will probably spend a few days in Sydney first and then go on to Cairns.

Advertisement