Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish soup kitchens - legit ?

Options
  • 02-06-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I see these guys collecting outside my local SuperValu but cannot see that they are a registered charity. Surely they would only obtain a permit this way? I questioned th girl who told me they are opening a soup kitchen soon in linen hall square in balbriggan ? Appreciate it if anyone has any knowledge of them !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Do a search on boards.ie for your answer.
    In short....No

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Thanks I did but they were over a year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

The are collecting a good bit around N.C.D at moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Links here - and I thought they looked legitimate, but the phone number on both Facebook links is the same and isn't real.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/soupkitchensireland/about/?ref=page_internal

https://benefacts.ie/org/f3ddac53-25bb-42b8-8c9b-92628b158589/the-irish-soup-kitchen-centres-company-limited-by-guarantee

Edit: Turned out I left out a number the first time I rang, but tried again and it's their phone number all right. I got voicemail so I didn't get a chance to ask about collectors in the area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Update! A very nice lady called me back and said that their collectors have been out in Balbriggan because their soup kitchen there is opening at the end of this week. The line was breaking up a bit but I think she said it's beside a Permanent TSB. She said that their collectors always have a sealed bucket for donations, so watch out for that.

Sounds like a very worthy cause, their soup kitchens in Drogheda and Navan are very busy and she said that they get calls from places around the country asking if they'll be opening there too.

A sad sign of the times :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Update; they're opening in Linen Ct. Balbriggan this week about Intreo offices and plan's to open 7 days a week.

Seems odd they are not registered as a charity still - I can see articles going back to 2013 saying they are above board etc in the media.
    Facebook seems to be their "website" but hasn't been updated for years. I will remain dubious on this one.
    I wonder if the Mark O'Neill spokesperson for them is the same Mark O'Neill of Stroke Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Collecting in Dundalk last Saturday, the 22nd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Update; they're opening in Linen Ct. Balbriggan this week about Intreo offices and plan's to open 7 days a week.

Is this a joke? There are plenty of places to get cheap food in Balbriggan

You might have to join the group but this is a link to where a guy (presumably involved; he's brown nosing the Mark lad throughout it) posted about it > https://www.facebook.com/groups/1856016607950433/permalink/2192264197659004/?comment_id=2192594110959346&notif_id=1537821163083166&notif_t=group_comment_follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Seems odd they are not registered as a charity still - I can see articles going back to 2013 saying they are above board etc in the media.
    Facebook seems to be their "website" but hasn't been updated for years. I will remain dubious on this one.
    I wonder if the Mark O'Neill spokesperson for them is the same Mark O'Neill of Stroke Ireland...

They are a company limited by guarantee, usually they will then apply for charitable status

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭oceanman

nice to see people doing something positive, sad times in the country though when we have to resort to soup kitchens..

oceanman wrote: »
    nice to see people doing something positive, sad times in the country though when we have to resort to soup kitchens..

There about 100 years too late

There about 100 years too late
    it would be nice if that were true...but sadly not im afraid.

it would be nice if that were true...but sadly not im afraid.

You can live well enough on social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The sad truth of all these charities is that they can all be good causes and legit yet still allow 95 percent of funds to go to wages / administration.

mickdw wrote: »
    The sad truth of all these charities is that they can all be good causes and legit yet still allow 95 percent of funds to go to wages / administration.

Now you have it.

You can live well enough on social welfare.
    not everybody gets social welfare, those with no fixed address ect. that's why these soup kitchens are opening up around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Is it a soup business?

not everybody gets social welfare, those with no fixed address ect. that's why these soup kitchens are opening up around the country.

There’s no one on the streets in Balbriggan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    Is it a soup business?

no soup for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

mickdw wrote: »

If they can get a CE scheme organized to run the kitchen it'll be more like 99% CEO/wages/administration

1% for the soup in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

They are a scam charity.
    See this interesting thread on Dublin City forum:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057499579

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Peter File wrote: »
    no soup for you!

is that a Seinfeld reference? :)

People "living" in, for example, Merchants Quay Ireland can use there as an address for SW purposes.

They’ve no permit to collect money. I was just asked did I want to help the homeless.. when I asked for details they were totally sketchy and asked me to buy a scratch card. Same as animal ark who ended up being investigated. Hate to see the wool pulled over people’s eyes.

Podcast BY Irish Soup Kitchens...ABOUT Irish Soup Kitchens feat. Mark O'Neill; go figure > https://soundcloud.com/user-714880100/irish-soup-kitchens-mark-oneill?fbclid=IwAR2lGNLo58DozZ7ru-SK70gvJg_cXYkQl_gxrj9ihLJvYKAGkOmUglbsgZQ

• Registered Users Posts: 15,626 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This crowd are on morning Ireland at the moment.

The boss man is a guy called mark oNeill

Advertisement