Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant ID please

Options
  • 02-06-2018 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Any idea what this is? I thought it was some kind of verbena that grew there last year and came back, but it's much bigger now. Am I growing a huge weed instead? It's like 50cm tall, no flowers or buds yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

miezekatze wrote: »
    Hi,

Any idea what this is? I thought it was some kind of verbena that grew there last year and came back, but it's much bigger now. Am I growing a huge weed instead? It's like 50cm tall, no flowers or buds yet.

Looks like Hemlock to me.
    Hemlock would be a weed/wildflower & poisonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Looks like Hemlock to me.
    Hemlock would be a weed/wildflower & poisonous.

Ah no! :( I thought hemlock usually has pointier leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

miezekatze wrote: »
    Ah no! :( I thought hemlock usually has pointier leaves

Without any flowers it's hard to say definitively as many plants like  Queen Anne's Lace or the Common Tansy have similar looking leaves both are also classed as weeds or wildflowers.
    I would say Hemlock though

Thanks, maybe I'll dig it out over the next few days then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Looks more like ragweed to me, but I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Ragwort, Ragwort, Ragwort!

Well to be more precise Common Ragwort.

Best link I could find with a suitable picture http://www.lawnweeds.co.uk/ragworth.html

ragwort300x300.jpg

Edit> In case anyone wants to see what Hemlock or Cow Parsley look like as a comparison http://wildfood.torrens.org/plants/A/Anthriscus/Sylvestris.html

Hemlock 1Conium.jpeg

Cow Parsley 6Anthriscus.jpeg

Thanks for your comments, it does look more like that! Will get rid of it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Try crushing the leaves and smelling them, the smell is quite obvious and most people find it disgusting. You'll probably notice the smell when you dig it up anyway.

Advertisement