Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a 16 year old be left home alone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Always good to have a Horacio caine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It was three months ago, I'd imagine the fight has long been had at this stage.
    Can a 17 year old be left home alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

My cousin was 16 when he went to college on the other side of the country, I had only barely turned 17 and went to the same city. For what it's worth (and I know this is an old thread but in case someone stumbles on it in future), a 16 year at home for 2 weeks with a 19 year old sibling should be fine unless the two of them are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

From people I have known back in the day who left their homes at 16 to basically fend for themselves pre mobile phone world in non snowflaker/non PC land and worked out fine, if someone from the modern age can't be sensible at 16 they should go to their GP to be diagnosed as having "a difference".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Sesssssseeesssiiioooonn

Oh wait old thread dammit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

ndaly wrote: »
    My family are going away for 2 weeks and I was wondering if I, a 16 year old can stay home. My 19 year old brother will be here but won't be home until 2-3 am every few days
    My general rule would be if I have to ask myself if said 16 year old can be left at home then chances are no he/she cant. If you had confidence there would be no problems you wouldn't be in 2 minds about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I had left school at 16, and was in full time employment, my parents and younger sister went away for a week and I was fine with it, had 2 brothers living not that far away in the same town if I needed them.

It all depends on the 16 year old imo.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Snotty wrote: »
    16 yrs old and I was left for a week on my own in the house, I did have a part time job and I wouldn't have been much of a wild child.

Same, but 2 weeks and a full time job

If a 17 year old can move to another city, for college, then 16 is ok for a few hours or overnight.
    Depends on the maturity level and if they're closer to 15 than 17 etc

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Post deleted - linking to threads in that forum is frowned upon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement