Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting? Wordpress? Shared? Lost? Where to start?

Options
  • 02-06-2018 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hey guys.

Ive done so much "research" im back at square one at a loss.

Im planning on starting to build websites. Just basic ones, and hoping to do about 20-30 in the next year, hopefully more. I know my way (ish) around WordPress so i plan to do them there. Havent got a clue about php/slq or whatever

My question is the age old question. what type of hosting. I know we cant discuss companies and such, but if anyone can tell me what I will need, or what should i be doing.

I Am looking at this deal.

Unlimited bandwith, 20 gigs of space, 50 websites and databases,

is this enough/acceptable?

or should I go for WordPress hosting instead?

Any help is very much appreciated

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 theWebAdvisor

Stay away from shared hosting, the site space/databases is the cheapest part of the hosting for them to offer, its the power of the hosting you need to look at if going to run 20/30 sites, how many cores, the ram available so the sites can function.
    Managed wordpress hosting can be fine, depending on provider, if the sites get busy will become expensive.
    Your best option for that number of sites may be a VPS, depending on how comfortable you are managing a server you may want a control panel such as Plesk or Cpanel. If you are willing to do a little bit of learning, serverpilot or runcloud are good options for managing.
    Email, better not to run your own email server, to much risk, so factor in something like zoho mail which you can run the email through.
    Regards
    Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭garyskeepers

Thank you webadviser.

cost is not a factor here. I dont care what i have to pay, once its the best and "easiest" for me to host, build and run the sites

i dont have the time o learn anything new while doing these as every bit of spare time, which is not a lot, will be spent putting them together, and since im no pro, ill be sticking to very basic "drag and drop" wordpress themes and sites.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Do a google search for managed wordpress hosting for designers and ignore the ads before the search results.

There are at least 2 providers that specifically concentrate on this particular market, single click installs, single click staging servers, automated backups and If I remember correctly at least one of them offers a feature to pass on billing for specific sites to clients and/or a white label offering.

Avoid any hosts that offer unlimited anything.

Graham wrote: »
    Do a google search for managed wordpress hosting for designers
    Avoid any hosts that offer unlimited anything.

Thank you. Why should I avoid unlimited stuff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thank you. Why should I avoid unlimited stuff

Imagine you're in your local pub and the landlord points out new-host-lager. This lager is so new, he only has one tap dispensing it.

The landlord offers you unlimited new-host-lager for $4.95 month.

Sweet deal you'd think, until you discover the landlord has sold the same deal to 18,000 other punters and there's still only one tap.

TLDR:

Because it's a B.S. marketing phrase used to sell hosting to people that don't realise 'unlimited' generally means over-sold.

• Advertisement

oh,, that makes sense,,, well thank you for that, i appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 heyitsfranklin

I'm going to save you a lot of time. If you don't want to run and manage a VPS on your own, the best webhost for WordPress is <mod edit> READ THE CHARTER PLEASE</mod edit>.

No, I am not affiliated with them.

Before running my own VPS, I've tried numerous webhost providers and <snip> is the best BY FAR for anyone looking to run a WP site. They also have their own WP-specific tools built-in to their CPanel which makes things much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you're just starting out doing websites for 3rd parties you won't have an unlimited budget.
    There's nothing wrong with shared hosting for a lot of sites.
    If you are doing higher end ones with clients who are willing to pay for the hosting etc., then there are plenty of options open to you.
    But I wouldn't recommend choosing a high end option straight away. It simply doesn't make sense.

Advertisement