Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joing a fourball/ Open slot

Options
  • 02-06-2018 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

Comp on tomorrow and I see one or two slots open, is it alright to book in and fill the fourth slot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Comp on tomorrow and I see one or two slots open, is it alright to book in and fill the fourth slot?

of course it's fine.

However I would bear in mind it could be 3 friends wanting to play amongst themselves and chatting to each other about private stuff etc... You could be an 'imposter' as such.

That'd be my only worry. Obv most groups would be fine with you joining, but if I'm playing with 2 friends, 99% of the time, that's the way we want it.. Not having a random player join.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Definitely. Good way to meet other members. I wouldn't do it for a casual round but 100% for a comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

callaway92 wrote: »
    of course it's fine.

However I would bear in mind it could be 3 friends wanting to play amongst themselves and chatting to each other about private stuff etc... You could be an 'imposter' as such.

That'd be my only worry. Obv most groups would be fine with you joining, but if I'm playing with 2 friends, 99% of the time, that's the way we want it.. Not having a random player join.

It's an Open week FourBall, as in fourball comp. More worried that I may be taking someones slot but 3 are booked ( family name the same) since this morning.

Definitely. Good way to meet other members. I wouldn't do it for a casual round but 100% for a comp.

I should've said this too. Spot on

It's an Open week FourBall, as in fourball comp. More worried that I may be taking someones slot but 3 are booked ( family name the same) since this morning.

If it's a 4Ball, they could have another person coming along with them. It's either that or they are 3 lads playing a casual round I'd assume

• Advertisement

If it's a 4Ball, they could have another person coming along with them. It's either that or they are 3 lads playing a casual round I'd assume
    I booked in , two are members and 1 guest. I'll ring in the morning and see if the Pro knows whats happening.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

of course it's fine.

If you want to have a chat about private stuff, go somewhere private.

A competition is always game on for joining in even if with strangers. Agree with other posters above that it shouldn't be done for casual golf however.

HighLine wrote: »
    If you want to have a chat about private stuff, go somewhere private.

A competition is always game on for joining in even if with strangers. Agree with other posters above that it shouldn't be done for casual golf however.

Hi

You could've done with reading my next post after this before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hi

You could've done with reading my next post after this before posting.

he did
    Agree with other posters above that it shouldn't be done for casual golf however.

not his fault that some elements of your first post were silly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

If they didn't want someone with them would they not block the 4th slot.

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    he did

not his fault that some elements of your first post were silly

How were they silly?

I literally said in my second post that I meant it for casual golf and not comps. Reading would be your friend.

backspin. wrote: »
    If they didn't want someone with them would they not block the 4th slot.

Could’ve booked to one of the online booking systems and paid for each person on that maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

They could have been three lads who booked hoping a 4th could join them. It should really be quite simple - if there is a space on the timesheet - casual or competition - go for it.

This 'private chat' nonsense is just boll--ks. That's what quite corners in cafes or pubs are for. ;-)

They could have been three lads who booked hoping a 4th could join them. It should really be quite simple - if there is a space on the timesheet - casual or competition - go for it.

This 'private chat' nonsense is just boll--ks. That's what quite corners in cafes or pubs are for. ;-)

I know what you mean about the ‘private chat’ thing but if it’s a casual game sometimes you want it to be that way

Played today, lads were dead on.

Good to hear - Great morning for it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If it's s casual round you should be able to reserve the slot with no names, if it's a competition then anyone is entitled to join a free spot!

^ To me it makes no difference if it's a casual round or competition anyone is entitled to join any group on any timesheet.

Would you turn down a request and leave a person on the tee box on their own if you were in a 3 ball ahead or behind him and had asked to join you?

^ To me it makes no difference if it's a casual round or competition anyone is entitled to join any group on any timesheet.

Would you turn down a request and leave a person on the tee box on their own if you were in a 3 ball ahead or behind him and had asked to join you?

Depending on what the casual round involved I might.
    In that scenario I'd just let the person go ahead on their own (if they wanted to)

My point was that if I wanted a line to myself for a casual round I would block out the entire line so that the issue wouldnt arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yes, if I'm out for a casual round with mates. I've no interest in playing with a stranger. Not sure why some people think this is odd.
    GreeBo wrote:
    My point was that if I wanted a line to myself for a casual round I would block out the entire line so that the issue wouldnt arise.

You can't do that if you're booking online though, unless you want to pay for the extra spots.

• Advertisement

Yes, if I'm out for a casual round with mates. I've no interest in playing with a stranger. Not sure why some people think this is odd.

You can't do that if you're booking online though, unless you want to pay for the extra spots.

Why would you be charged for a casual round?
    We have "Guest" or "Reserved" as options via BRS.

Surely that isn't in the spirit of the game to leave someone on the tee box after they have asked to join your group? If they don't ask then that's fine that's their own problem but I cannot believe that anyone thinks it's ok to reject a request for a person to join them whether it be casual or competition.

Surely that isn't in the spirit of the game to leave someone on the tee box after they have asked to join your group? If they don't ask then that's fine that's their own problem but I cannot believe that anyone thinks it's ok to reject a request for a person to join them whether it be casual or competition.

Again, I'd never, and would have no right to, reject someone in a competition.

In a casual round its a different story.
    There is a reason they are *asking* to join you. Its because they acknowledge that, for whatever reason, you might not want outside company for that round.

I'm sorry GreeBo but I don't agree entirely with your statement. They may be 'asking' you as it's obviously polite to do so and most likely as they don't want to play alone.

Would you actually say to someone in that circumstance - "No, we don't want you to play with us".

GreeBo wrote: »
    Again, I'd never, and would have no right to, reject someone in a competition.

In a casual round its a different story.
    There is a reason they are *asking* to join you. Its because they acknowledge that, for whatever reason, you might not want outside company for that round.

I got a load of shít for saying this exact thing.

If I have friends coming over from London etc on a Wednesday, with the greatest respect, we'd like to have a game to ourselves to catch up. (That's just one example)

I'm sorry GreeBo but I don't agree entirely with your statement. They may be 'asking' you as it's obviously polite to do so and most likely as they don't want to play alone.

Would you actually say to someone in that circumstance - "No, we don't want you to play with us".

Well I wouldn't say it in those words, but yes, that's effectively what I would be telling them.

I've said it before and its been said to me before and no one thought any the worse on either side.

Well this blew up a bit. Normally wouldn’t ask but it was a fourball , something I never played in before so was unsure if etiquette changed.

As for joining a casual it wouldn’t bother me either way. I understand why some people want to play only with friends. That being said I would never not ask if they wanted to join me or play through. Only seems polite to give the option.

Yeah, as GreeBo said above, I've also said 'no' in a nicer way.

Something along the lines of 'ah sure we'll just keep going the way we are. you can play ahead of us'..or something like that.

Yeah, as GreeBo said above, I've also said 'no' in a nicer way.

Something along the lines of 'ah sure we'll just keep going the way we are. you can play ahead of us'..or something like that.

Yeah, I'd always let them out ahead, but these days with everything being via BRS, causal golf has become more formal.

I miss the ball in the chute days, even if I did usually leave it behind!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

:D:D:D

452610.png

Advertisement