Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin - areas

Options
  • 02-06-2018 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Im moving to dublin in the next few weeks, have never lived in the city before. I will be working very close to Pearse station and I am unsure about what areas to look for accomodation. Im female mid 20s, looking for a double room hopefully sharing with other professionals around my age so what areas reflect this at a decent price. I would be willing to to use either bus/dart/luas to commute into town. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

sonas93 wrote: »
    Im moving to dublin in the next few weeks, have never lived in the city before. I will be working very close to Pearse station and I am unsure about what areas to look for accomodation. Im female mid 20s, looking for a double room hopefully sharing with other professionals around my age so what areas reflect this at a decent price. I would be willing to to use either bus/dart/luas to commute into town. Any ideas? Thanks.

Daft is your best place to start. It depends on your budget and how many people you're willing to live with. Dublin 15 is moderately priced under 600 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 30,057 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Given that you are working in a central area beside transport hub and willing to share, you've a lot of areas to pick from.

There's lots of apartments in and around Docklands which would be walkable to Pearse area and city centre, I prefer the suburbs such as...

Rathmines & Portobello in the south city center.

Raheny, Fairview, Marino, Clontarf, Killester on the northside commuting into Pearse.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Anything on the Northside DART line is going to be the best value for money. Kilbarrack and Howth Junction (aka Donaghmede) are fine in the main but have a good look around the area to make sure you're happy. I'm Kilbarrack to GCD (Stop after Pearse) in about 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Malahide road. Artane killester Fairview
    Bus route 15 minutes
    Just drop by the area on a Saturday night to make sure there isn’t kids lighting wheelie bins on fire in that area. Most places are great but obviously you get the odd bad apples

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Kilbarrack???? In the name of God. Even the train station there was unmanned for YEARS because of the antisocial behaviou ( burnings and attacks) - even people that live there refuse to use it. Pearse St is bag on city centre - ANYWHERE in walking distance or cycling distance would make sense. Rathmines, Rathgar, Baggot St area, Docklands -right across the bridge from Pearse St - thousands of new aplartments arpund Spencer Dock and even Smithfield. The little extra you would pay in rent would be well offset by commuting costs & late night taxi costs. Houseshare would be your best - try daft as suggested or ads to share for postgrads on the trinity accommodation website

• Advertisement

Kilbarrack???? In the name of God. Even the train station there was unmanned for YEARS because of the antisocial behaviou ( burnings and attacks) - even people that live there refuse to use it. Pearse St is bag on city centre - ANYWHERE in walking distance or cycling distance would make sense. Rathmines, Rathgar, Baggot St area, Docklands -right across the bridge from Pearse St - thousands of new aplartments arpund Spencer Dock and even Smithfield. The little extra you would pay in rent would be well offset by commuting costs & late night taxi costs. Houseshare would be your best - try daft as suggested or ads to share for postgrads on the trinity accommodation website

Absolute bollocks. Kilbarrack train station is heavily used so much so that car parking around the area is a bit of a nightmare. Kilbarrack hasn't had major social problems for the guts of 30 years.

To get into Smithfield proper (the cheapest of the areas you mentioned) you're going to be looking at €750 ish per month. You'll get a room in Kilbarrack for €500. Smithfield, now - today, has way more issues with junkies and feral kids than Kilbarrack probably ever had.

Absolute bollocks. Kilbarrack train station is heavily used so much so that car parking around the area is a bit of a nightmare. Kilbarrack hasn't had major social problems for the guts of 30 years.

To get into Smithfield proper (the cheapest of the areas you mentioned) you're going to be looking at €750 ish per month. You'll get a room in Kilbarrack for €500. Smithfield, now - today, has way more issues with junkies and feral kids than Kilbarrack probably ever had.

It's not absolute bollocks. You are deluded with your opinion on Kilbarrack. It is a kip. End of.

CWF wrote: »
    It's not absolute bollocks. You are deluded with your opinion on Kilbarrack. It is a kip. End of.

You didn't even know where the station was in another thread. You've confirmed that if you think it's not used.

You didn't even know where the station was. You confirm that if you think it's not used.

I know exactly where the station is I've had to use it many times. I never said it wasn't used. A collegue of mines teenage son was jumped on by two junkies at that station only a few months ago during the day and his phone was stolen and the **** was beat out of him.

I know exactly where the station is I've had to use it many times. I never said it wasn't used. A collegue of mines teenage son was jumped on by two junkies at that station only a few months ago during the day and his phone was stolen and the **** was beat out of him.

You told the OP of another thread you had no idea where Briarfield was, The station backs out on to Briarfield on one side. The absolute bollocks was in direct reference to the station not being used.

There is more antisocial behaviour and graffiti at Kilester than there is at Kilbarrack. You could, unfortunately get jumped anywhere, I was mugged twice in D7 very near Smithfield. I certainly wouldn't go walking around Spencer Dock at night.

You have no idea of what you're talking about if you think Kilbarrack is a kip. It's a settled, perfectly safe area of Dublin with a bad reputation from people who haven't been in the area for over quarter of a centaury.

• Advertisement

You told the OP of another thread you had no idea where Briarfield was, The station backs out on to Briarfield on one side. The absolute bollocks was in direct reference to the station not being used.

There is more antisocial behaviour and graffiti at Kilester than there is at Kilbarrack. You could, unfortunately get jumped anywhere, I was mugged twice in D7 very near Smithfield. I certainly wouldn't go walking around Spencer Dock at night.

You have no idea of what you're talking about if you think Kilbarrack is a kip. It's a settled, perfectly safe area of Dublin with a bad reputation from people who haven't been in the area for over quarter of a centaury.
    I lived in Venetian Hall which backs onto the killester station and Howth Road below that for 2 years and never witness any antisocial behavior bar a bit of graffiti, god help you.
    I said I didn't know where briarfield was I know the area around the train station well just didn't know that was the name of it. I only started working in the area, very near the fire station 8 years ago, I can't imagine what it was like 25 years ago. Some lovely families dotted around I'd just be much happier living around Raheny, Beaumont, artane, killester

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Daft is your best place to start. It depends on your budget and how many people you're willing to live with. Dublin 15 is moderately priced under 600 a month

WTF are you talking about, suggesting living in Dublin 15 for a commute to Pearse Street.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    WTF are you talking about, suggesting living in Dublin 15 for a commute to Pearse Street.

I worked in the IFSC and got the train from coolmine to connolly, takes less than 20 mins. That's WTF I'm talking about. Stay on it for a few minutes more and you're at Pearse

I lived in Venetian Hall which backs onto the killester station and Howth Road below that for 2 years and never witness any antisocial behavior bar a bit of graffiti, god help you.
    I said I didn't know where briarfield was I know the area around the train station well just didn't know that was the name of it. I only started working in the area, very near the fire station 8 years ago, I can't imagine what it was like 25 years ago. Some lovely families dotted around I'd just be much happier living around Raheny, Beaumont, artane, killester

That's a fair comment. Killbarack Ewww! isn't. I live on Briarfield Road and have done for three years. Worked here previous to that. Dodgy characters are the absolute exceptions and even they'll leave you alone if you leave them alone.

Any kids that congregate, and yes some teenagers do congregate around the DART, are just being kids and do no damage to the station or are any issue to anyone using it.

As I said in the other thread the side on the Foxfield side of the tracks at least has been settled for at least 20 years (See times article) and has been gentrifying for at least 5 or 6 with families and professionals moving in. The key is WORKING class area. The vast majority of us are working, don't want any hassle and look after the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

< rant snipped >
    You desrve somewherw nice and safe to live and rent. If you are not going to live in town or withing walking distance there are plenty of nice middle class areas you can look in - the better the area the kess likely you are to find a houseshare - it might be worth cosidering rwnting a whole house, having your xhoice of room and subletting housemates in - but this could bring more trouble that it is worth on your head. There are also new sites called hostfamily.com where a surprising number of people are now renting rooms with families while looking for somewhere to rent - we have had a fair few interns in work who have used it . It would be more expensive than renting but mighy bail you out if you have a set start date for work and are stuck - and you could see some different areas of Dublin and get a flavour of what it could be like. (Plus have no gas or LX or wifi bills and get to save if a big deposit was needed).
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

There is a huge and wide variety of places in and around Dublin to rent or share, starting with absolute filthy kips up to well maintained and serviced apartments with on-site staff to look after any problems.
    In order to try help you narrow down some possibilities it would be helpful to at least know what budget you had in mind and what activities you would like nearby. If you are to rely on public transport, what would be your maximum commute time if you were to live outside of the city centre.
    People will have opinions on different areas, some may be right and some may be exaggerated one way or the other.
    So get some more of your criteria onto the page and see if you can get some constructive replies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah OP rent a five bed gaffe in Rathgar.

The reason there is defensiveness is you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're even trying to bring Blanchardstown into it now which is perfectly fine also, not somewhere I'd have thought of commute-wise but CWF has more experience of doing it.

Your snobbery is the only shocking thing in the thread TBH.

Wasn't there a kind of a ban on these sort of silly threads in this forum?

I saw litter in Ballsbridge once, it's a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleWhiteDog

You should be able to find something nice on the north side fairly close to the city. You could cycle in easily from Fairview/Marino. There are great public transport links. I live here, it's a great area for families & young professionals like yourself. Here's a house share currently available in my estate that might suit you:

https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/marino/carleton-road-marino-dublin-1013592

You should be able to find something nice on the north side fairly close to the city. You could cycle in easily from Fairview/Marino. There are great public transport links. I live here, it's a great area for families & young professionals like yourself. Here's a house share currently available in my estate that might suit you:

https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/marino/carleton-road-marino-dublin-1013592

That's bloody good value for Marino.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Yeah OP rent a five bed gaffe in Rathgar.

The reason there is defensiveness is you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're even trying to bring Blanchardstown into it now which is perfectly fine also, not somewhere I'd have thought of commute-wise but CWF has more experience of doing it.

Your snobbery is the only shocking thing in the thread TBH.

I've lived in Blanchardstown for 14 years. Like every area there's good parts and less desirable parts but where I live is perfectly safe. I've commuted to the city centre for those 14 years. It's absolutely commutable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

spurious wrote: »
    Wasn't there a kind of a ban on these sort of silly threads in this forum?
    Mod note:

Thread is fine, that post is not.

@JustAThought Do not post in this thread again until you can abide by the charter, especially the last bullet item. Ranty rubbish post removed.

Do not respond to this message on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

Thanks for the help, have a few ideas now. I was thinking of dublin 15 actualy as I have friends who do the commute daily but was worried about the length of commute and my sister rents in marino so I was also considering that area as its also closer to town. Anything along the northside dart too seems good. I have no budget exactly but I want it as cheap as possible of course but I wouldnt be willing to live 45 minutes to an hour outside the city, share rooms or live in a run down house/unsafe area in general. I would rather pay the bit extra. It does seem worth it to look at apartments close to pearse street/docklands as the commute costs and hassle arn’t worth the small savings so I will definety look into that, I dont mind walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I know you say you don't really have a set budget, but realistically, everyone has a max spend budget. By knowing yours it would be a lot easier for others to help with suggestions.

Thanks for the help, have a few ideas now. I was thinking of dublin 15 actualy as I have friends who do the commute daily but was worried about the length of commute and my sister rents in marino so I was also considering that area as its also closer to town. Anything along the northside dart too seems good. I have no budget exactly but I want it as cheap as possible of course but I wouldnt be willing to live 45 minutes to an hour outside the city, share rooms or live in a run down house/unsafe area in general. I would rather pay the bit extra. It does seem worth it to look at apartments close to pearse street/docklands as the commute costs and hassle arn’t worth the small savings so I will definety look into that, I dont mind walking.

Go careful, cheaper apartments in that area will be cheap for a reason. Otherwise you'll pay a massive premium for a good area in D2. That said there's something to be said for living in the CC if you're new to Dublin, it's worth paying the premium for the experience. (within reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I haven't seen Drumcondra mentioned, which is close to town and has a ton of buses running through it as well as a train station with a journey time of 10 mins to Pearse St.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,057 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I haven't seen Drumcondra mentioned, which is close to town and has a ton of buses running through it as well as a train station with a journey time of 10 mins to Pearse St.

The summer Croke Park invasions of the area and concerts too would put some people off \ might attract others.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The summer Croke Park invasions of the area and concerts too would put some people off \ might attract others.

Potentially, wouldn't be enough to put me off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fagan2

Hi Samuel T colgey,

I just typed in a search regarding kilbarrack mainly the briarfield area... and i know your post was from 2018 but it was one of the first ones thats come up and I've heard alot of talk of how the kilbarrack area is rough and full of antisocial behaviour etc mainly from people who are not from the area i miggt ad and I'm thinking of possibly moving there...... so obviously when I hear this it fills me with fear.

but yet when I go down to the area it seems fine, I know a couple people living there already and love it. I know it has a bad reputation and certain parts are actually bad but not all parts from what i can see. Can you tell me a bit about the area and how you find living there

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

The hyperbole posted here earlier is hilarious.

The brother lived there for a few years and I stayed for a few months.

It is a perfectly safe area to the point of boring. It also depends on what you class as Kilbarrack- there are ex corporation houses at Swans Nest which go for 300 to 350, and within 90 seconds walk on Grange Park privately built semis touching the 500k point. And the strip of new houses between the old council and the old expensives I've seen looking for 400k.

Do you think anybody is paying 400- 500k to live within 90 seconds walk of somewhere dangerous?

Like absolutely everywhere there will be a cohort of headers who mostly keep their violence inter- header.

The main reasons I wouldn't live there is because it's a bit of a cnut of a drive off the M50 in the evening and that your main mode of public transport is the Dart, which at the weekends tends to show up whenever it feels like and puts ghost appearances on the TFI app, so timing leaving your gaff in time to meet it is pointless.

A major plus is that the Orient Express Chinese is arguably the best in all of Dublin. Or even Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement