Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buyer's agent

Options
  • 02-06-2018 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,

To continue on my previous thread, I live abroad, looking to buy via a buyer's agent.
    Hope it's OK to ask for recommendations/opinions about specific companies.

After doing a bit of screening I decided to go for those who act solely as buyer's agent, rather than EAs doing both selling and buying (absurd...).

The best I have come up with is <snip>, which have been around for a while, seem reputable, haven't found anything bad about (though not too many recommendations either, aside from many promotional media items). I also like the fact that they do both house hunting and property management.

Only thing that annoys me is that they charge a fee as % of the buying price which is funny when you need someone to negotiate the lowest price for you (though the same happens in the US...). Not ideal, I know. I will try to negotiate, maybe for a fixed price + a precent of how much they can reduce off of the asking price.

Anybody here has experience with them? If not, can you recommend anybody else?

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP, you won't find many locals with experience of buyers agents. It's just not a common approach to property acquisition.

Mod Note:

recommendations by PM please folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

Oren Plen wrote: »
    I will try to negotiate, maybe for a fixed price + a precent of how much they can reduce off of the asking price.

As many selling EAs put their clients property on the market with a deliberately low asking price to prompt interest I don't know why your potential buying agent would agree to your terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You won't get money off an asking price. Typically properties sell over asking in the bracket you're looking at in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Oren Plen wrote: »
    To continue on my previous thread, I live abroad, looking to buy via a buyer's agent.
    If they help buy you a house, but you find an issue with it later; will the company that helped you be in any way liable? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

On a practical level when is this agent going to be paid?

Advertisement