Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site and renovation

Options
  • 02-06-2018 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello Everybody

Looking for some advice on the following before i approach the bank.

I am currently a home owner in an estate on outskirts of city. Myself and the other half are looking to buy site and build soon(ish)

Ive recently come across a site (1.5 acre) that already has an old farmhouse built on it. The farmhouse is about 1200sq ft and needs total refurbishment. The site and house is for sale for 95k which we can easily afford.

We would however need to extend also and double the size of the house.
    My questions is, is there a way that we can buy the site/house now and later do the work that we want and need. We plan to stay living in current town house at the moment.

If anyone has any advice i would really appreciate.

Again, this is all pre lim stuff before i meet the bank next week.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

yes, just buy it like buying anything else, do the paperwork pay the mula: voilia

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ak47kk

yes, just buy it like buying anything else, do the paperwork pay the mula: voilia
    Thanks Calahonda i guess :/

I suppose i was not very clear. We can afford to buy the property by getting a joint mortgage and the repayments are easy to make.

I want to know if in a few years We would be able to borrow to extend and renovate (estimate 220k ) for this.

Or would i need to sell my current house to fund renovations?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

ak47kk wrote: »
    Thanks Calahonda i guess :/

I suppose i was not very clear. We can afford to buy the property by getting a joint mortgage and the repayments are easy to make.

I want to know if in a few years We would be able to borrow to extend and renovate (estimate 220k ) for this.

Or would i need to sell my current house to fund renovations?

This is the construction forum. Is the question above really for your bank manager ?

Ps 220k to completely Reno an old 1200sqft farm house and add same size ext, is some estimate!

BryanF wrote: »
    This is the construction forum. Is the question above really for your bank manager ?

Ps 220k to completely Reno an old 1200sqft farm house and add same size ext, is some estimate!

Sorry Bryan, New to posting, just looking for some help. But i guess it is a bank managers question, just trying to figure out a few bits before i go in next week.

The estimate was by her father who has been a builder for 35 years, not my own estimate!

Try get up on the other side of the bed tomoto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd imagine the bank would be interested in what the minimum spend is to make it habitable and planning compliant, and the value of the property at that point relative to the loans at that point, rather than what sort of dream house you eventually want to turn it in to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the other point is that while you may spend 200+k on the work, the house may not be worth that depending on LOCATION.
    therefore the equity piece will need to cover that plus a bit more so my guess, as an accountant is that they won't lend.
    Ability to service the debt is just one aspect, asset cover, aka loan to value, is another.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks guys ☺️

Advertisement