Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland’s relationship with take away food.

• 03-06-2018 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Nearly the most obese country in Europe.

The fattest kids- tick.

Booze, smokes etc.

Every corner is some fast food joint.

Can anyone explain why we are a such an unhealthy nation??

I can’t put my finger on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

The fattest kids- tick.

Booze, smokes etc.

Every corner is some fast food joint.

Statistics? Or you just saying this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

As long as it Indian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The fattest kids- tick.

Booze, smokes etc.

We have a history of having an incredibly bad attitude towards food starting back since the famine.

A lot of people don't want to educate themselves on nutrition or cooking.

Our biggest social escape in this country revolve s around food and drink.

We also have a very big selection these days of all kinds food and drink and people in most cases can afford it.

The weather a lot of the time is an excuse people use not to be more active also.

People need to educate themselves on more then usual subjects!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Statistics? Or you just saying this?

Ireland is set to become the most obese country in Europe, with the UK, within a decade, according to a study published in The Lancet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-s-obesity-rate-among-world-s-worst-1.2594266%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

'Cause of your pudgy fingers?

• Advertisement

We have a history of having an incredibly bad attitude towards food starting back since the famine.

Are biggest social escape in this country revolve s around food and drink.

We also have a very big selection these days of all kinds food and drink and people in most cases can afford it.

The weather a lot of the time is an excuse people use not to be more active also.

We wonder why the health system is bursting and countries like Spain seem fine.

Mediterranean diet

Versus

Chinese, Indian, Macdonalds, chipper etc etc

everlast75 wrote: »
    'Cause of your pudgy fingers?

You’re fingers are too fat to make a call, goodbye.

Mediterranean diet

Versus

Thing is there's no excuse there plenty of great and not always expensive produce and ingredients out there for people to eat healthy when they want.

It's just ignorance and lazyness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Our biggest social escape in this country revolve s around food and drink.

But this does seem legitimate to me, on an intuitive level. Not to fully explain it, but so as to be a significant contributing factor amongst some other possible reasons.

Thing is there's no excuse there plenty of great and not always expensive produce and ingredients out there for people to eat healthy when they want.

It's just ignorance and lazyness.

Is that it though?

That’s what I’m trying to find out.

We seem like a nation that needs our hands held for everything but if that doesn’t happen then take the easy way out.

• Advertisement

Hunchback wrote: »
    But this does seem legitimate to me, on an intuitive level. Not to fully explain it, but so as to be a significant contributing factor amongst some other possible reasons.

Ya we get a lot of **** weather but there's nothing to stop you throwing on a jacket or whatever it won't kill you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

You’re fingers are too fat to make a call, goodbye.

Awhhhh.. i was only joking!

You have lovely, dainty fingers. Like a seamstress, or a lute player from times gone by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

A chicken caeser salad doesn't appeal to me as much as a garlic chip does at 2am and I having a barrel of porter inside in me and for that I'll make no apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Our cancer rates for lifestyle-influenced cancers are extremely high, a symptom of general poor lifestyle choices of Irish people.

As another poster said, the weather plays a part. Alcohol plays a huge part. We should be moving towards stigmatizing alcohol the way we stigmatize smoking.

Is that it though?

That’s what I’m trying to find out.

We seem like a nation that needs our hands held for everything but if that doesn’t happen then take the easy way out.

Where actually going threw a major fitness fad in this country atm. In one sense its great as you see a lot more people especially younger ones looking after themselves.

The main issue I'd have with it though is I reckon In most cases people aren't going to gym and eating a certain way for the good there health. They just want to look better. So it becomes a constant image thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Noveight wrote: »
    A chicken caeser salad doesn't appeal to me as much as a garlic chip does at 2am and I having a barrel of porter inside in me and for that I'll make no apologies.

The chicken caesar salad would be doing ya no favour s anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

That village of Italians who moved over with their chips and vinegar and that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Who wants to live to an age where your children need to wipe your bum?

Breakfast rolls half pounders piles of Guinness check out at 55

Should have put this in the poetry section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Look at the sheer amount at cheap processed food being sold at shops compared to other countries. A lot of other countries do not have the amount of Spar or Centra type convience stores food in these countries can only be bought at supermarkets, markets or restaurants in a lot of cases. Petrol stations for example only sell petrol and car paraphenalia and newsagents only sell newspapers. No chippers or Chineses either and a general of cheap convience food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mediterranean diet

Versus

New research ouot about that recently:

'The Mediterranean diet is gone': region's children are fattest in Europe - For kids in Greece, Spain and Italy, the Mediterranean diet is dead, according to the World Health Org
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/24/the-mediterranean-diet-is-gone-regions-children-are-fattest-in-europe

The Okinawan diet is often seen as one of the healthiest as they lived far into old age compared to everybody else (with hundreds of them currently over 100 years old), yet in recent years their diet is more westernized and the kids are in bad health:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_diet
    Majority of their diet was purple sweet potatoes, high carl, low fat, low protein.

Patww79 wrote: »

I respectfully disagree with this statement. I think it is entirely reasonable to look for answers on a societal level and on an individual level.

It is fair to say that if the current national trend towards obesity continues, more and more of us will lose loved ones to health/weight issues or complications related to obesity or morbid obesity. It is also fair to say that unless we question why this is happening, the trend will become worse.

I would not for a split second want to embarrass or stigmatise or humiliate anyone who is massively overweight, but at the same time, it is not overly officious to ask questions around the obesity epidemic with a view to saving lives and improving wellbeing on a macro level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Ireland has a gross misunderstanding about obesity, and if you don't believe me then click out of this thread and check back in about a week and you'll see for yourself.

Personally, I don't think Ireland has an obesity problem. Only a fool would deny the rising rates of obesity, but that's not strictly the problem. It's not the problem because obesity is a result of long-term over eating, but long-term over eating is a result of something else and whatever the driving force is, that's your epidemic, that's what you want to focus on.

I think Irish people are pretty unhappy for the most part. You can tell me about the World Happiness Report, and how we do well on it, but our rates of suicide and binge drinking, and now over eating, completely betray what some Index says about Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ireland is set to become the most obese country in Europe, with the UK, within a decade

Set to become? It already is. Within a decade, I'd say the Irish and the English will be as obese as the Americans.
    Who wants to live to an age where your children need to wipe your bum?

Breakfast rolls half pounders piles of Guinness check out at 55

I bet you won't be still saying that when you are 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 benwed

We love it unfortunately

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Ireland has a gross misunderstanding about obesity, and if you don't believe me then click out of this thread and check back in about a week and you'll see for yourself.

Personally, I don't think Ireland has an obesity problem. Only a fool would deny the rising rates of obesity, but that's not strictly the problem. It's not the problem because obesity is a result of long-term over eating, but long-term over eating is a result of something else and whatever the driving force is, that's your epidemic, that's what you want to focus on.

I think Irish people are pretty unhappy for the most part. You can tell me about the World Happiness Report, and how we do well on it, but our rates of suicide and binge drinking, and now over eating, completely betray what some Index says about Irish people.

Interest points.

Why worry about "society" or the loved ones of people you don't know? Put the energy into being personally responsible and looking after your own loved ones. If only more people did this instead of thinking they are so important that everyone must think and act the same way they do.

Of your loved ones are dangerously obese should you intervene or but out??

By the way society pays the 13 billion health cost each year.

What I meant was that a lot of people might care because they might have people in their lives who are morbidly obese who they do not want to die.

It is not being a do-gooder/goodie goodie to want to see the people you love see their 50th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The Guardian posted an article recently which stated kids in Spain and Italy were becoming fatter and fatter and the Mediterranean diet was almost on the way out for a lot of them.
    Out so will post link later.

I still think kids should have a class dedicated to nutrition and cooking skills in school. I'm not talking home ec either.

It's crazy the amount people out there who can barely put a proper meal together or are fixated with these weight watchers or slimming world methods of loosing weight or trying stay healthy.

Instead of joining a fad diet group just learn the basics and start reading what's actually in the food your buying.

Stop buying so much convinence and processed food and try making meals yourself. It's not rocket science and it's cheaper! Parents need to learn these things to for sake there kids.

If your own loved ones are fine, but nobody should be dictating to strangers.

And something will always cost 13bn. If it wasn't health they'd find some other way to squander it. Roll with it and look after your own personal circle.

Strange way to look at society.

Suppose it’s Darwin’s theory in full motion.

• Advertisement

What's society? That notion died a long time ago, if it wasn't always a myth.

If someone burgles your house tonight who do you call for help?

Ghostbusters?

Ghostbusters?

A team?

The people who's job it is to come and look at it. Either I'm having deja vu or that's a stock boards question is it? Or maybe it's always been you asking it to various people, can't recall.

That said, I wouldn't ring anyone really as it's a complete waste of time in this day and age.

The Gards who are part of the wider society you seem to want nothing to do with.

Edit- agree on waste of time.

Maybe you’re right, it is every man for himself.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's hopefully not 'every man for himself'. I understand that lots of people subscribe to the Thatcherite view that there is no such thing as society, but in a country as small as the one we live in, where there are so many small communities and small towns and villages, the notion of 'society' is very real indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Having lived in both countries I would say our health system is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The United Kingdom has a far worse obesity problem than Ireland. After spending a long period of time there, and in Glasgow in particular, Dublin seems like L.A!

The take away selection there is like the choices we had in the 90's with a dodgy Chinese, Indian and chipper on every corner serving the dishes in Styrofoam boxes. They're usually wedged in between a bookies and convenience shop selling 3 chocolate bars for £1!

It's probably getting worse at home but it's not at that level at all!

-=al=- wrote: »
    The United Kingdom has a far worse obesity problem than Ireland. After spending a long period of time there, and in Glasgow in particular, Dublin seems like L.A!

The take away selection there is like the choices we had in the 90's with a dodgy Chinese, Indian and chipper on every corner serving the dishes in Styrofoam boxes. They're usually wedged in between a bookies and convenience shop selling 3 chocolate bars for £1!

It's probably getting worse at home but it's not at that level at all!

We are definitely getting there.

KFC, Eddie rockets, dominos to name more.

The list is endless.

We are definitely getting there.

KFC, Eddie rockets, dominos to name more.

The list is endless.

Thing is don't have to eat in any of those places it's a choice your choice.

Plus you would want to have plenty money to be eating crap constantly!

That may have been the case one time but they're long gone. The average man in the street here would step on your throat for a euro in this new age. And people should be treated like that's what they'd do.

I don’t agree with this.

There is definitely a lot of scumbags in this country but I think 95% of people are caring decent people.

The average man is a massive hyperbole.

Thing is don't have to eat in any of those places it's a choice your choice.

Plus you would want to have plenty money to be eating crap constantly!

Yes but that’s not my original question.

It’s why Irish people are CHOOSING to eat in these places and become the fattest country in Europe.

Yes but that’s not my original question.

It’s why Irish people are CHOOSING to eat in these places and become the fattest country in Europe.

Already told ya lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement