Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland’s relationship with take away food.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jh79

Patww79 wrote: »
    To me. I get it from my own tastes.

People's idea of what is healthy is completely skewed. A home made stir fry, carbonara, roast dinner etc all healthy and taste good . Vegan food is tastless from my experience and no healthier than a normal home cooked dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We're here for a good time, not a long time. I cannot afford a pension and I most certainly cannot afford, nor want a nurse to have to look over me and my toileting activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Start by making shops get rid of sweets and crap at the checkouts.
    I saw some headline on a magazine a few months back about Irish food culture being one of the best in the world. I laughed myself off the seat.
    Our meat might be the best in the world but we don’t have a food culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Augeo wrote:
    My local Chinese, Thai restaurant, Indian restaurant or traditional Irish Italian ( ! WTF ) chipper don't advertise apart from throwing leaflets around the town.

Interesting! They don't advertise, but they actually do, very interesting concept!
    Augeo wrote:
    What advertisements or marketing are you referring to ?

All of it, including the marketing from our political institutions on the concept, consumption is good, it's good for us, it's good for 'growth' and 'the economy'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

You’re fingers are too fat to make a call, goodbye.

To obtain a special dialing wand, mash the keypad with your hand now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

We have a history of having an incredibly bad attitude towards food starting back since the famine

Back when potatoes were a good thing.

Now they're the devil incarbate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

seachto7 wrote: »
    Start by making shops get rid of sweets and crap at the checkouts.

What is the rest of your plan?

Healthy food tastes like crap.

You need to find yourself someone who can cook.

Because saying healthy food tastes like crap is bollócks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ah right.

When you saiid “healthy food tastes crap, there’s no avoiding the fact” it read like it was a proven fact, not just your own tastes.

• Advertisement

If people only knew more about the crap that goes into takeaway food and sweets. Palm oil for starters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

seachto7 wrote: »
    If people only knew more about the crap that goes into takeaway food and sweets. Palm oil for starters...
    MSG homie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

seachto7 wrote:
    If people only read about the crap that goes into takeaway food and sweets. Palm oil for starters...

Strangely enough, you d probably find, very few would actually give it up

You need to find yourself someone who can cook.

Because saying healthy food tastes like crap is bollócks.

Or better still, learn to cook for yourself.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Strangely enough, you d probably find, very few would actually give it up

True. People have no problem going out putting 10 pints of chemical beer in themselves every week so why would they ....

How come people are living so much longer now, if modern food is so poisonous?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/living-for-90-years-may-become-new-normal-study-shows-1.2984032

Lifespan in Ireland has steadily been on the up with expectancy in 1960 at 68 years for men and 72 for women compared with the current 78 years for men and 83 for women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Our cancer rates for lifestyle-influenced cancers are extremely high, a symptom of general poor lifestyle choices of Irish people.

As another poster said, the weather plays a part. Alcohol plays a huge part. We should be moving towards stigmatizing alcohol the way we stigmatize smoking.

We are mid table in Europe for alcohol consumption ffs. And dropping yearly.

How come people are living so much longer now, if modern food is so poisonous?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/living-for-90-years-may-become-new-normal-study-shows-1.2984032

Lifespan in Ireland has steadily been on the up with expectancy in 1960 at 68 years for men and 72 for women compared with the current 78 years for men and 83 for women.

As a general rule, good chunk of the rise in life expediencies is due to reductions in child mortality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Since the famine?

People had a simple diet back then, well in rural areas anyway where most of the food they ate was produced themselves on the farm and most of the work was hard physical labour day in day out so they were always on the go.

If you look back at old family albums you won't see may overweight people, we may be better informed these days about our general health but most of us aren't burning off the calories in the work we do the way people did in the past.

What I meant by the famine reference was it was one the main reasons for the bad attitude towards food a lot of Irish people have.

I'm not saying they over ate etc back then ha. I think it was the fact it had such a huge knock on effect on how the country felt about food. We developed a fear of not getting enough mentally so it started the whole heaped plate attitude in Ireland that obviously contributed to wasn't money and bad health.

It's starting to improve the last few years which is good for everyone.

• Advertisement

If someone burgles your house tonight who do you call for help?

Depends. If the stuff stolen is insured I’d call the cops, I’d need the insurance form filled in. If uninsured, no one. No point.

As a general rule, good chunk of the rise in life expediencies is due to reductions in child mortality.

So modern food is helping to reduce child mortality. That is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Thing is there's no excuse there plenty of great and not always expensive produce and ingredients out there for people to eat healthy when they want.

It's just ignorance and lazyness.

That's a bit harsh. I would say that fat people are just less risk-averse. They're quite brave, when you think about it.

kweeveen86 wrote: »
    Food is just not part of our 'going out' culture, sadly, making alcohol abuse way more of an issue. We go for a haype of pints and a crappy burger afterwards... Spanish, French, Italian people, etc go out for dinner together and might end up getting drunk afterwards. Massive difference!

This 'since the famine' thing is gas too. You're just latching onto a handy time period there with nowt to back it up. Were there top quality kebaberies forced to close down late in the 1800s or what don't I know?!?!

Italy yes, but we drink less than the French and in and around the same as the Spanish per capita. So no “massive difference”.

• Advertisement

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Ireland and the UK have a s***e food culture. Ireland inherited it from the UK.

The drink has something to do with this aswell. Drinking leads to not caring about choices, seeing everyone else not give a damn makes it easy to make bad choices.

Go live in France and you'll lose weight guaranteed. People would look at you funny if you were a slob and wouldn't want to hang out with you. Herd immunity against obesity.

But the French drink more than the Irish.

So modern food is helping to reduce child mortality. That is a good thing.
    Yeah it is. The problem is that they then overeat later in life. Then comes related conditions like diabetes. So :confused:

You need to focus on whether you can cook what you want to eat.

So healthy food doesn't taste like crap. You just haven't bothered and you just prefer unhealthy food.

You should just have said that instead of making a nonsense generalisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No. It is that you are so used to spices and curries and sauces that you have forgotten what real food tastes like.

Would take your taste buds a while to acclimatise is all.

Vegetables etc taste really good if you stop masking the real flavours with junk

• Advertisement

No;you need to adjust your ideas at base and stop the "want"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We are mid table in Europe for alcohol consumption ffs. And dropping yearly.

It's a different type of consumption. Binge drinking is harder on the body than a glass of wine or a beer with food every day.

The Irish/UK way of drinking is very unhealthy. That being said Slavic countries for example have it's own problems with alcoholism and excessive daily drinking .

But the French drink more than the Irish.

They pace themselves and the children are taught how to drink responsibly for pleasure at an early age

More wine that spirits or beer and less binge drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jh79

Maybe just not CHEMICAL beer though. The CHEMICALS.

Alcohol is the most toxic ingredient in beer.

Graces7 wrote: »
    They pace themselves and the children are taught how to drink responsibly for pleasure at an early age

More wine that spirits or beer and less binge drinking

Absolute nonsense. Beer is the biggest seller in Spain. Try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Absolute nonsense. Beer is the biggest seller in Spain. Try again.

Does that stat include what tourists buy on their holidays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Depends. If the stuff stolen is insured I’d call the cops, I’d need the insurance form filled in. If uninsured, no one. No point.

Wrong attitude

Crime statistics are important - all offences against property and particular where it is a violation of the home should be reported

People way more informed about nutrition in the last 12 or so years thanks to the internet and much lower rats of obesity, especialy among the young, due in part to the middle-class-ification of the Irish working class, social media heightening peoples awareness of their own image and cheaper nutritious food thanks to Lidl and Aldi. Next.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    Healthy food does not taste crap.

Not sure where you got that from.

I said two lines
    as per above. Im not sure how you made all the rest out of that? I didnt mention what anyone else eats.

I was interested in the fact based info you had that you stated above.

But there is not any, it’s just your opinion. Your opinion is not a fact.

McCrack wrote: »
    Wrong attitude

Crime statistics are important - all offences against property and particular where it is a violation of the home should be reported

Yes, I should waste my time so the cops have a nice report at the end of the year. FFS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

I don't think its what people its the lack of exercise. Kids are on there phones tablets etc and not being active. People are not tick they in the most know about food. Thing is you wont change it overnight. But i think people are in general eating more healthy. Kids are not allowed bring sweets into schools etc. More exercise is the key. It is a simple thing balanced diet and exercise. Not rocket science. But i will say one thing taxing it is a bunch of bollllixxx.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Also this bollixxxx we are hugh drinkers. Its on the decrease and the govt trying to bring in mininum pricing. Bunch of killjoy cunnnts. If you want to effect alcohol ban ads and sport sponsorship etc. Oh but that would upset to many of their mates who own pubs and are in the gaa etc. Just like they are not really giving a crap about housing as most of them are landlords are getting a nice sum from rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Yes, I should waste my time so the cops have a nice report at the end of the year. FFS

No for CSO/policing and government statistics - helps form policing/security policy & resources both locally and nationally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

A little bit of takeaway food never does anyone harm its getting the right balance which is key thats lacking in some people.

Mutant z wrote: »
    A little bit of takeaway food never does anyone harm its getting the right balance which is key thats lacking in some people.

Portion size is also an issue with takeaway food.

Double gut buster spice bag, breakfast roll etc etc, mega wagon wheel pizza and so on.

The expectation is there then for bigger and bigger portions all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

From my own experience I think the problem with healthy eating is its hard to know where to start. You need to have some cooking skills and knowledge of food and spices that wouldn't be part of the average persons day to day life. While it might be cheap in the long run it's also expensive starting out. There are a lot of essentials you need to buy to get started. Things like salads and other perishables go off quickly and some of that will go to waste (which Irish people in general hate)

A sugar tax is all well and good but in my opinion a waste if they dont use that money to promote and educate people on health eating/lifestyle. For a lot of people healthy eating is a complete lifestyle change. From what you buy, to the knowledge you have on food, to how how you approach cooking to the time and effort you put in (at least in the beginning) Thats intimidating and sometimes its just easier to go to the chipper. If money could be put into making that starting process easier (not sure how) then I think that would go a long way. I guess one place to start is schools. A class like home ec should be compulsory that shows young people how to actually cook healthy meals and teaches about balance and nutrition. If education system saw PE as important enough to make it compulsory I don't see why nutritional classes shouldn't be compulsory also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

McCrack wrote: »
    Wrong attitude

I agree - it's like voting. It's only one vote, or one crime report, but they all add up. The cops will assign resources and carry out anti-burglary, anti-whatever, campaigns, based on what their data tells them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

One thing I've witnessed compared to other parts of Europe is that Ireland has no culture of passing down cooking knowledge to the younger generation. There is a awful lot of people out there that genuinely don't know about kitchen basics. Nowadays this knowledge is easily accessible on the Internet, which is great.
    Irish food lacks seasoning, a lot of it (and you see that in the older generation) is overcooked and pickyness seems to be passed on to children.
    I'm going so far and say that the current generation of parents is the first one to get really adventurous with food and flavours and this influences the children.
    I know so many people that never had the experience as children to grow up in a multigenerational kitchen, where everyone had a job and everyone's working away on some tasks. The amount of knowledge I gained from that that you don't find in books is big.

I believe that your first experiences with food are a foundation for later in life, if you never learned it, you'll have a hard time to find joy in it or appreciate making time for cooking food from scratch. Sometimes I really crave a takeaway, but I always get into the kitchen and cook and once I'm full I'm really happy I didn't go for chippy food. Nowadays I get takeaway when I'm in Dublin and have more choice of ethnic takeaway that I don't have here.

Edit: also I see a big missed opportunity here in Ireland growing veg and fruit. Everyone wants to have a garden for the kids and so many end up not being used once the kids start playing with the children that live nearby. Get a small greenhouse, involve the children in a bit of gardening, some veg is so low maintenance and easy to grow. I made the experience that involving them makes them appreciate it more because they see the process from the seeds to the harvest.
    I get it's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm incredibly surprised that it's not done a lot more around here, the climate for both summer and winter veg is really good and so many people have gardens.

Advertisement