Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland’s relationship with take away food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Well said, that's exactly the way it is, personal responsibility is what it all boils down to at the end of the day (or in the morning when you're getting a breakfast roll from the deli):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

Beg to disagree. The quality of produce in our big supermarkets is superb .
    Many here eat very healthily. And my generation knew how to cook. And to shop.

Not the quality of fruit. With exception of berries it's pretty poor in comparison to what I was used to. Vegetables are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

chite wrote: »

Love fish myself, esp making salmon curry. Throw in chopped onion, veg, fish, tin of chopped tomatoes and/or coconut milk + spices - chilli, paprika, etc. from any supermarket. Alternatively bags of spices from Independent Irish Health Food Ltd are v recommended, huge varieties of spices that really deliver on flavour which you can get in health food shops.
    No excuses Patww79 ;), it's much nicer than a wagamamas takeway I got once.

I’d love your recipe for the salmon curry.?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

My comment was tongue in cheek, which was in response to your "healthy food tastes like crap" so didn't mean anything from it :) Sure nobody has been dictating or being sanctimonious to you, people are just expressing their opinions based on facts and experience on making their own food that taste good. Never said what you stated what right or wrong, only made a suggestion on making nice food at home.

If you said something like healthy eating is challenging cos time, money and effort to purchase, prep, eat, and clean-up is consuming then fair enough. But you can either try out my suggestion and see for yourself if you agree or not, instead of interpreting it as an attack on your food choices.

anewme wrote: »
    I’d love your recipe for the salmon curry.?

I got the recipe from the "Hungry? The innocent recipe book for filling your family with good stuff" but since then have just been doing my own version of it for a while. The amount I make lasts for half a week for 2 people and keeps well refrigerated in a lunch box. The fish gives it a flavour that you don't get if you used chicken, beef, lamb etc. must be the oils in it or something.
    I don't follow a set guideline on what to put in, especially if cooking for more than myself or using different veg. As a rule of thumb (bold is basic essentials):

1 chopped red onion
    1 chopped parsnip
    1 chopped carrot or red/yellow/green pepper
    1 chopped salmon darne (2 for 2 or more people)
    spices (all teaspoon amounts):
    2 garam malasa, 2-3 turmeric, 2 mixed/all spice and then add 1-2 of either dhansak curry powder, korma, jalfrezi, ras el hanout or whatever else you fancy

1 chopped courgette
    2-3 crushed (with the side of a knife blade) + chopped garlic cloves
    1-2 chopped fresh red/green chilli, including seeds

1 tin red kidney beans (don't drain, there's protein in the liquid from the beans)
    1 tin chopped tomatoes and/or 1 tin coconut milk (generally include both for 2+ people).
    1 cup of rice per person

Optional: 1 chopped lemongrass, grated knob of fresh ginger

Method:
    1. Toss onion & carrot/pepper into a wok/large pot for a few minutes until the onion is soft. Add salmon and spices + stir until cooked through enough. During all this put rice on boil, leave boil for about a min or less, then put on low heat and put cover on.

2. Throw in courgette, garlic & chilli into the mix.

3. Lovingly pour in the tinned stuff, while uselessly shaking the ends of the liquid in the tins into the mixture & stir.

4. Turn off rice and leave in pot. Leave curry on a low heat for about 10-20 minutes, stir halfway through.

Nom! I also make a side for 2 people with the curry sometimes, which is 3-4 tablesp of greek or natural yoghurt, half of a grated cucumber & I add a few leaves of chopped mint if I have any in the garden.

Hope this is ok :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sounds absolutely great. I don’t like rice so will use cauliflower or Brocolli rice instead and adjust accordingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

juneg wrote: »
    We had a green house when kids were small but the wind buckled the frame and eventually had to take it down. I wasn't expecting that it would only last a few years. I don't know how polytunnels survive the winter winds to be honest.

Can't say about here, but back home we'd take them in and store them in a shed for winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

I think it's really difficult to have a healthy relationship with food in this country. There's such a lack of education out there about what we actually need to be eating for nutrition and sustenance, and then there's the fad-diet brigade where everything from Atkins to Weight Watchers to veganism are touted as the holy grail to weight loss and celebrity body status. And then on top of all that, there's a Supermacs and a donut shop on every corner.

I've got a pretty appalling diet, but manage to stay slim because I don't eat very much and exercise a lot. Hate fast food though. I'd love to have learned about the importance of eating regularly and not skipping breakfast/lunch from an early age, so that my relationship with food was a bit more positive and a bit more productive.

But ultimately it boils down to personal responsibility and taking action to prioritise your own health. We all know that an entire Dominos pizza is an atrocious food choice that will depress our body and mind probably for days, but we go for the quick-fix after a busy, stressful day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

meeeeh wrote: »
    Not the quality of fruit. With exception of berries it's pretty poor in comparison to what I was used to. Vegetables are good.

Sorry, but I wouldn't say that the vegetables are good quality across the board. I've yet to buy a tomato here that actually tastes of tomato. Same with peppers, asparagus, radishes.
    And that's not even mentioning all the vegetables that are near impossible to buy here - artichokes, kohlrabi, daikon, spaghetti squash, patty pan squash, white asparagus, plantain, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

This thread is making me hungry. A quarter pounder and chips would go down well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Speaking as an obese person, the reason I'm obese is purely because I do absolutely zero exercise. Don't eat too badly. Takeaway most months maybe every 2 weeks or so. Not too bad on the sugary drinks or sweets (f*ck you sugar tax). Purely down to no exercise. And the reason for that is.... long, complicated and depressing so you're better off not knowing :)

TL;DR: I'm fat cos I don't exercise.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Sorry, but I wouldn't say that the vegetables are good quality across the board. I've yet to buy a tomato here that actually tastes of tomato. Same with peppers, asparagus, radishes.
    And that's not even mentioning all the vegetables that are near impossible to buy here - artichokes, kohlrabi, daikon, spaghetti squash, patty pan squash, white asparagus, plantain, etc.
    I know but the choice of seasonal veg that grows here is ok. Tomatoes will never taste as nice as in sunnier countries. What annoys me is that stuff like watermelons which are imported in a lot of European countries are for whatever reason much poorer here. But also fruit like apples grows in Ireland yet bland apples from New Zealand are sold. It just seems that fruit quality doesn't matter that much because less fruit is possibly eaten here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Growing up we never got take aways because we just couldn't afford it. It's hard go spend money on a take away when for the same money you'd get 4 dinners for the whole family. We just don't have the same value on money now. My sister spends €30 a week on takeout for a family of 4 - without economising I could easily get 3-4 good dinners for the whole family out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Crea wrote: »
    Growing up we never got take aways because we just couldn't afford it. It's hard go spend money on a take away when for the same money you'd get 4 dinners for the whole family. We just don't have the same value on money now. My sister spends €30 a week on takeout for a family of 4 - without economising I could easily get 3-4 good dinners for the whole family out of that.

And then all we here is people are living in poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

[/B]Beg to disagree. The quality of produce in our big supermarkets is superb .
    I would agree that the quality is usually pretty good compared to other countries I have lived in; the downside however is that the variety is often quite lacking. I'm fortunate enough to live a 10 minute walk from one of the most fantastic specialty food shops I've seen anywhere in Canada, Ireland or Australia (and I always look for those soon after moving somewhere). But if not for that place I would really have to go out of my way to find a lot of things (esp. for Asian or Caribbean foods since chilis hotter jalapenos just do not seem to exist anywhere else even remotely close to me and I'm very close to two Tescos, an Aldi, two Lidl's and two Supervalus... one of the Supervalus will have birdseye or habanero once in a blue moon and that's it). I couldn't help but note in one of the Tescos the other day that about 80% of an entire aisle was just peanuts - not different type of nuts, just peanuts, while another aisle was 80% chips. It was kind of weird and amazing to stand back and actually look at after I copped it.

I don't think it's a generational thing either though, I think I have one extended family member above the age of 50 whose idea of cooking isn't "boil it for three hours". I also think that plays in a bit to future generations, because that one person happens to be the auld lad, and because of it my sister and I were cooking since we were about five years old - both of us are now really good cooks.

Partly it might be down to the fact that a lot of lemons, limes, peppers and such were always used which meant big, bright colourful plates that made making them seem more fun, and also because they basically forced us to try anything and everything but with a glass of coke in one hand and tissue in the other so "if you don't like it, spit it into the tissue and take a sip of coke to the taste will go away". Most of my friends who grew up in the more typical "here's your meat and two veg, it's been in the pot since lunch" households and have no interest in food beyond eating it. So when they're out of meat+2 veg or want something different to that, their typical response is to usually just call a take away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It’s actually frightening how much we rely on fast food. A lot of people don’t enjoy cooking and have difficulty coming up with dinner ideas outside spag bol or chicken kievs.
    I always come across the 'people without ideas' types, or people with ideas but not knowing how to make them. I don't know why they don't just put it into google - one of the more understated benefits of the internet is that you can put whatever random ingredients are in the fridge into google, and it'll shoot back hundreds of recipes at you. It's basically a never-ending cookbook, and sticking with things 4* or higher (most ratings are on the google search page so no need to click into them) has almost never let me down. For example I'm currently marinading jerk chicken and outside of those bast*rd habaneros in the post above, just about everything was already in the kitchen to begin with (also not the coconut milk or kidney beans if I'm honest, but each cost about €1 in Aldi and you can just use normal rice otherwise).

It's also frightening how much we spend on fast food! Occasionally I will do a months worth of food in a day (tie it in with a big clean up of the house and all clothes/sheets and it's worthwhile), and put them into separate containers in the freezer. Takes a good 7 hours or so but going off last time I wound up with about five portions each of: spag bol, chicken adobo, jerk chicken, two pasta bakes, stir fry, fried rice, slow cooker pork, fish pie and around 30 cereal bars (plus enough chicken stock from the carcasses for about another 10 soups or whatnot). All in all it saves a fortune, everything is made completely from scratch so you know what's in it and it's easier to keep healthy. It covers my lunch for every work day of the month and my dinner takes all of five minutes for a proper meal when I get in the door from work (10 minutes if it has spaghetti since that gets a weird consistency when frozen and not in a pasta bake type setup), and the last 3-4 hours are mainly just putting things in the oven or giving the occasional stir so it frees up plenty of time to get the rest of the house spotless.

Got the idea off a friend who is a fitness freak and one of those 'meal prep' heads. I wouldn't be arsed doing it every week but plan on getting back to making it a monthly thing after the summer and can't recommend it enough. Even when temptation hits to get a pizza or chipper, you know you've good food in the freezer that you'll be eating before you'd even finished making the order online.

• Advertisement

jaxxx wrote: »
    Speaking as an obese person, the reason I'm obese is purely because I do absolutely zero exercise. Don't eat too badly. Takeaway most months maybe every 2 weeks or so. Not too bad on the sugary drinks or sweets (f*ck you sugar tax). Purely down to no exercise. And the reason for that is.... long, complicated and depressing so you're better off not knowing :)

Plenty no n obese people don't exercise.

Eat less and you'll burn off fat, you're fat because of overeating relative to the calorific requirement of your sedentary lifestyle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Thats not correct

A person becomes overweight when their caloric intake is over their maintenance calorie intake

Doing no exercise means that the persons maintenance calorie intake will be lower

Myfitness pal is a great app for measuring calories in food

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

Interesting interview in the Irish Times today with Prof Donal O'Shea who heads up the obesity clinic at St Columcille's who says that most illnesses these days are lifestyle related. He probably means as opposed to just being spontaneous. (Can't post a link)

I'm back out dating at the moment and the amount of men my age, early to mid 40s who are overweight and obese has shocked me. You can absolutely tell they have no interest in losing weight and while they might have other good qualities it really is off-putting. I think some of them might struggle to get dates as a result but don't seem to have any insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

With respect, you're obese because you're eating too much. If you wanted to, you could lose a lot of weight pretty quickly without a single bit of exercise. That's because exercise, in regards to mass weight loss, is more or less optional. In other words, you don't have to do it, and if exercise isn't all that important in mass weight loss, which it certainly isn't, then it's not a major factor in mass weight gain.

Nutrition is by far the most important factor in weight loss and weight gain. If you need to consume 3,000 calories a day to maintain your weight, which a lot of morbidly obese people do, then halving that and only eating 1,500 calories a day for a month will melt the fat away. That's a huge deficit and one that isn't sustainable to burn in the gym, or on the 5-a-side pitch.

I think the reality for most people is some where in the middle. People eating takeaways everyday is obviously too much but for many reasons limiting it to once a month is just not going to happen either. I buy my lunch everyday and we would get takeaway or eat out two or maybe three times a week. The other days would be home cooked meals, fish, chicken, beef curries/chilli/stir frys etc. A good big fry for breakfast then every sat and Sunday too.
    Augeo wrote: »

To be fair many Chinese take meals are large, a breast if chicken curry meal with rice & a portion of chips would be plenty for two people or even parents and a child. For a change / treat not bad for a tenner ish to be fair.

You would want to have a very small appetite to have enough for two people never mind two and a child. I'd never fail to finish a take away mysel even ones with very big portionsf and would usually pick away at the leftovers from my oh who would normally not finish but would eat 3/4 at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

My theory is that Ireland doesn't have a lot of fruit growing wild whereas countries in the south have a better climate for it.
    There's a theory AFAIK that humans have an instinct to eat as much sweet stuff as possible or to gain satisfaction from it because its a necessity and rare to find.
    I'd wager that in places where fruits are less abundant that instinct is stronger.

Doesn't explain why the Scandinavian countries are doing alright but its interesting to think about. Especially when the two most obese countries have similar ecologies and climates.

You would want to have a very small appetite to have enough for two people never mind two and a child. I'd never fail to finish a take away mysel even ones with very big portionsf and would usually pick away at the leftovers from my oh who would normally not finish but would eat 3/4 at least.

Well I said with the rice & a portion of chips.

Your other half as you say would eat 3/4s of a take away, a chinese comes with rice or chips.

One can have a large appetite but be mindful that they are eating calorie dense and not nutritious food, self control is great when you get the hang of it :)

Augeo wrote: »
    Well I said with the rice & a portion of chips.

Your other half as you say would eat 3/4s of a take away, a chinese comes with rice or chips.

One can have a large appetite but be mindful that they are eating calorie dense and not nutritious food, self control is great when you get the hang of it :)

We would get chips between us too sometimes as well as a rice each.

I'd be still hungry with only half a main, half a rice and half the tiny potion of chips you get in a Chinese.

That being said I don't get Chinese much anymore, Thai or Asian street food type places would be the preference if getting that type of food since they have become more common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

I reckon people should get in the habit of weighing themselves regularly. I've done it every morning for decades now. Gives me a good idea of what puts the weight on and helps me to keep my eating habits in some sort of check.

A week of takeaways and I'd be up more than half a stone, no way I'd want to depress myself with that misery in the mornings so I'd be naturally cutting back for that alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The portions are ridiculous when it comes to some takeaways. And it's all chips and rice, carb crap. Cheap, profitable drunk pleasers.

We don't tend to get takeaways, we'd eat out a good bit and sometimes in cheap Asian fast food wok bars or noodle bars. Slightly healthier and certainly better than traditional American style fast food.

The takeaway portions are humongous here in Ireland. We've a Pakisani outfit close to us and there's a single person deal for €11. It's a starter, a main and two sides, popadoms and Nan. It feeds myself, my wife and the oldest kid!!! (he's only five)... It's advertised as a single person portion!

There's a chipper near work and again. Portions are massive. One fish and chips will feed two people for dinner, let alone lunch.

Some of the Tex-Mex burrito delivery are decent, very filling, but again, you'd want to be starving to finish them. Some of the Turkish ones are excellent with lamb shoulder spiced kebabs. They seem to reign it in on the portions and concentrate on quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    With respect, you're obese because you're eating too much. If you wanted to, you could lose a lot of weight pretty quickly without a single bit of exercise. That's because exercise, in regards to mass weight loss, is more or less optional. In other words, you don't have to do it, and if exercise isn't all that important in mass weight loss, which it certainly isn't, then it's not a major factor in mass weight gain.

Nutrition is by far the most important factor in weight loss and weight gain. If you need to consume 3,000 calories a day to maintain your weight, which a lot of morbidly obese people do, then halving that and only eating 1,500 calories a day for a month will melt the fat away. That's a huge deficit and one that isn't sustainable to burn in the gym, or on the 5-a-side pitch.

This exactly. Also, a person who is used to that many calories a day would feel starving on only 1500. It's not hard to see how they would find it hard to lose weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I just had a giant cod and chips with chicken gravy. My BMI is impeccable. If anything I worry that I’m losing weight.

Chocolate and crisps is the problem. If you have a chipper every day for your dinner you may be eating 3-400 calories extra. That’s maybe a half a stone of weight roughly.
    Maybe a stone.

Nobody’s getting obese from that.

But if you have 20 bars of chocolate and 6 bags of crisps between meals there’s your problem.

No eating between meals. That’s all.

He's the doctor that heads up the obesity clinic. Coronary heart disease is Ireland's top killer. Obesity is the greatest threat to Irish children

Did you not know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Every corner is some fast food joint

Surely every corner is a doughnut place?!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Parents who bring their kids to Fast food outlets every weekend should have their kids taken off them. Bulging fat hanging out over their jeans, bra, ankles should be enough that Fast food outlets is not healthy food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

It's probably been said many times before, but teaching children (and the general public) how to count calories, how many calories you need (roughly), etc. would be a great idea. Once you understand the whole calories thing gaining/losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight becomes a lot easier. It just becomes a matter of figuring out your average daily energy expenditure and working around that.

Some people probably don't care about losing weight, and that's OK, but a lot of people seem to want to but can't manage it. I think a basic understanding of calories, daily energy expenditure, etc. would go a long way to helping this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How many of these kebab/pizza places are staying in business is beyond me ??

Are they selling more than just food ??

A few of the delivery drivers going around in fancy boy racer cars with a few lads in the back going for a craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Zero Point wrote: »
    I'm back out dating at the moment and the amount of men my age, early to mid 40s who are overweight and obese has shocked me. You can absolutely tell they have no interest in losing weight and while they might have other good qualities it really is off-putting. I think some of them might struggle to get dates as a result but don't seem to have any insight.

Yeah and some of these would say on their profile that they've "a few extra pounds".
    Er...a few extra stone maybe.

I think the problem with some people is denial.
    They're obese or morbidly obese but say they're overweight.
    They're overweight and describe themselves as average.
    And squeezing into a size 12 leggings, when you should be wearing a size 18 doesn't magically make the inches disappear.

As for takeaways, a little of what you like is a nice treat occasionally, but the portions are usually too big for one person, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    He's the doctor that heads up the obesity clinic. Coronary heart disease is Ireland's top killer. Obesity is the greatest threat to Irish children

Did you not know this?

Last year I was in Ireland and we went to the beach. Was actually shocked to see the amount of very overweight kids and whole families that were obese.

The US is supposedly the home of obese people but I honestly see more of them in Ireland than here and I see hardly any fit and toned people in Ireland whereas there are plenty here.

Chipper and the like are fine in moderation, but when every meal is a takeaway or other convenience food then it becomes a problem. Most of it is full of salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Ireland is set to become the most obese country in Europe, with the UK, within a decade, according to a study published in The Lancet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-s-obesity-rate-among-world-s-worst-1.2594266%3fmode=amp

Man these types of articles really piss me off. "Let's take a look at the graph, take out the old straight edge and extend the line. Look! Ireland will be 256% obese by 2100!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Subtle wrote: »
    All that stuff about the food pyramid (if that's still relevant?!) should have been engrained in us way back at primary school...

The food pyramid needs to be turned upside down i.e. we should be eating more fats and less carbs.

Official government nutrition advice is bollocksed and is a large part of the reason we've gotten fatter over the last 30 years.

mickrock wrote: »
    The food pyramid needs to be turned upside down i.e. we should be eating more fats and less carbs.

Official government nutrition advice is bollocksed and is a large part of the reason we've gotten fatter over the last 30 years.

Yes because when you get sweet and sour chicken in fried batter the portion of rice with it is the problem.

I'm not saying the food pyramid is up to date but there are way bigger problems than government advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

[/B]

Beg to disagree. The quality of produce in our big supermarkets is superb .

People have a mini computer in the form of their smartphone that can conjure up recipes of every sort and they're still too lazy to cook for themselves. Even something that can take less than 20 mins to do from start to finish.

Tbf 'back in the day', cooking consisted of boiling food to oblivion.

chite wrote: »

I got the recipe from the "Hungry? The innocent recipe book for filling your family with good stuff" but since then have just been doing my own version of it for a while. The amount I make lasts for half a week for 2 people and keeps well refrigerated in a lunch box. The fish gives it a flavour that you don't get if you used chicken, beef, lamb etc. must be the oils in it or something.
    I don't follow a set guideline on what to put in, especially if cooking for more than myself or using different veg. As a rule of thumb (bold is basic essentials):
    Hope this is ok :)

Looks wonderful, I'm going to use this tonight for a beef madras with chill beans type thing :pac:

I reckon it's 1400kcals using a lb of lean mince. I'd get 3 meals out of that so with a large portion of rice it's a 720k cal meal :)

A nice salad for lunch and a sensible breakfast and that's only 1500k cals for the day :)

Shows what can be done without straining the belt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I have a few theories on all of this.

The reality is that both anecdotally and statistically, the amount of people who are overweight, lose the weight and keep it off for a sustained period of time are very very rare.

One of the most fùcked up experiences was when I lost all the weight was that I was getting a lot of passive aggressive/negative remarks from people I know. Incredible, I never expected it. Because Irish people hate people who do better them/succeed, I bet its our crab in the bucket mentality that drags down a lot of people who otherwise could do this.

Second, the key to losing weight is very simple. Stop eating carbohydrates. Ketogenic diet/paleo diet, all good, all that eat like a caveman stuff, eh, its carbs and insulin that's the key and the reason that you are fat. I don't think that knowledge is out there as much as it should be.

Third, I think when people are mentally unwell and are exhausted at work, it tends to be more like, fùck this shìte, I'm off to the chipper or whatever.

The fast food isn't the problem, it's the society or the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dont understand why people care so much about other obese people . There are so many magazines, cook books, websites, and shows about healthy eating and exercises, dozens of cheap large gyms and sports clubs and facilities and huge amount of green space across our urban areas, plenty of cheap healthy food in lidl aldi and tesco and more than enough to eat healthy without hugely sacrificing taste or money, theres not amazing healthy takeaway food like in some other countries but still plenty of decently health and pretty tasty foods in restaurants and takeaways. There is no reason to be fat other than laziness, it is nobody elses fault and certainly not the fault of any public or government institutions, they certainly do their best to help, all the means are there for people to take advantage of to improve their health and many people do so, so just leave them at it if they want to die an early death

wakka12 wrote: »
    I dont understand why people care so much about other obese people . There are so many magazines, cook books, websites, and shows about healthy eating and exercises, dozens of cheap large gyms and sports clubs and facilities and huge amount of green space across our urban areas, plenty of cheap healthy food in lidl aldi and tesco and more than enough to eat healthy without hugely sacrificing taste or money, theres not amazing healthy takeaway food like in some other countries but still plenty of decently health and pretty tasty foods in restaurants and takeaways. There is no reason to be fat other than laziness, it is nobody elses fault and certainly not the fault of any public or government institutions, they certainly do their best to help, all the means are there for people to take advantage of to improve their health and many people do so, so just leave them at it if they want to die an early death

It costs you (the tax payer) €1.64 Billion a year.

............hospitals full of fat folk and their associated ailments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Walking behind a tubster when you're in a rush is a nightmare. They jiggle down the road blocking your path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think it's easy to overeat or eat crap when you're not organised and it's really hard to be organised all the time.

I got held up this morning and didn't have a healthy lunch ready for the little fella, so decided to pop into the closest shop for a picnic.

Besides fruit, there was very little that was convenient enough for an impromptu picnic but also not too processed or high in calories. We ended up with a pasta salad thing which was nice but much higher in calories, salt and fat than an average home made lunch would be. Then the fact we were going for a picnic, he wanted a bun, so I grabbed one as a "treat".

Now I don't mind, we eat well most of the time. We're active too. But I can totally see how quickly and easily you could fall into the convenience food trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Whispered wrote: »
    I think it's easy to overeat or eat crap when you're not organised and it's really hard to be organised all the time.

I got held up this morning and didn't have a healthy lunch ready for the little fella, so decided to pop into the closest shop for a picnic.

Besides fruit, there was very little that was convenient enough for an impromptu picnic but also not too processed or high in calories. We ended up with a pasta salad thing which was nice but much higher in calories, salt and fat than an average home made lunch would be. Then the fact we were going for a picnic, he wanted a bun, so I grabbed one as a "treat".

Now I don't mind, we eat well most of the time. We're active too. But I can totally see how quickly and easily you could fall into the convenience food trap.

Used to buy bread rolls and cheese and fruit if we had t o do an impromptu picnic.I still do. Or cooked ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yes because when you get sweet and sour chicken in fried batter the portion of rice with it is the problem.

I'm not saying the food pyramid is up to date but there are way bigger problems than government advice.

It's not just the fat from the frying, that batter isn't great for you. As regards the carbohydrate content, if you've made your own sauce it can be shocking to see the amount of sugar that goes into the sauce. Particularly to replicate the syrupy concoction that is in you average takeway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Used to buy bread rolls and cheese and fruit if we had t o do an impromptu picnic.I still do. Or cooked ham.

Yeah exactly, a bread roll/sandwich is about as good as it gets if you're not organised. I can totally see how someone could fall into the routine of doing that regularly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement