Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line trimmer or brush cutter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Surprised fuel line can’t be replaced. Have replaced a few myself on strimmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What is this, the shopping prevention channel? :D

Here's what I have in pics:

https://imgur.com/a/LKgrgbS

It's a Ryobi RLT430CES.

I can't find the diameter specs for the hoses. Will a generic kit do? Or something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HURI-Strimmer-Chainsaw-Lawnmower-Trimmer/dp/B01ESW37RI/

I assume I just connect the new hoses to the brown pipes?

w_IZU0_NY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A local mower shop would replace it for a fiver. That amazon tube should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Going back to the Makita strimmers, they look much the same to me just the cow horn handle one has better ergonomics although if you are using one for cutting above waist level (side of bank for example) then the loop handle may be better.

No sign of the power output on either of the spec sheets so no chance of comparing them in that way. From the pdf spec sheets (website has them different) the spindle size is the same M10 x 1.25mm Left so both will take exactly the same accessories.

If you decide to go for Makita & you have batteries, find a seller that can supply the machine without batteries. But be careful to make sure that your batteries will fit

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Going back to the Makita strimmers, they look much the same to me just the cow horn handle one has better ergonomics although if you are using one for cutting above waist level (side of bank for example) then the loop handle may be better.

No sign of the power output on either of the spec sheets so no chance of comparing them in that way. From the pdf spec sheets (website has them different) the spindle size is the same M10 x 1.25mm Left so both will take exactly the same accessories.
    Thanks, useful to know about the accessories.

I see the brush cutter is also significantly quieter at 77 dB(A) vs 81 for the line trimmer.

According to the sticker on it my Ryobi is 113 dB(A) :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Lumen wrote: »
    Thanks, useful to know about the accessories.

I see the brush cutter is also significantly quieter at 77 dB(A) vs 81 for the line trimmer.

According to the sticker on it my Ryobi is 113 dB(A) :eek:

A flat metal blade is normally going to make less noise than a couple of pieces of nylon, until you start chopping into something solid anyway.

They one thing that they don't tell you, the power, is what I'd really want to know to compare them, can't understand it not being anywhere unless the comparison with a petrol stimmer would put people right off?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Service shop should do this in 5 minutes, it’s an easy cheap fix.

If nothing else do it and sell your strimmer in DD/Adverts and put the few quid towards your new purchase.

my3cents wrote: »
    They one thing that they don't tell you, the power, is what I'd really want to know to compare them, can't understand it not being anywhere unless the comparison with a petrol stimmer would put people right off?

Runtime of the brush cutter is quoted as 145 minutes on 2 x 18V 5.0Ah batteries, in a UK Makita spec sheet.

So that's 2.416 hours from 180WA, therefore 75W power draw. Let's charitably assume 100% efficiency from the brushless motor, we get 0.1hp.

Of course maybe they're lying about the runtime, but they can't have it both ways!

An Amazon listing quotes 45 minutes on max power, which would give power draw of 242W / 0.3hp. That seems more likely (both runtime and power).

I guess if 0.3hp was adequate for a brush cutter there would be no reason for Makita to sell a 1hp and 2hp petrol version, since 1.0hp would be more than anyone needed.

I watched a video review of the line trimmer where the reviewer said he was irritated by the lack of variable speed control because normally even low power was more than enough for grass

So maybe the electric brush cutter is best regarded as a cowhorn-handled grass strimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Lumen wrote: »
    Runtime of the brush cutter is quoted as 145 minutes on 2 x 18V 5.0Ah batteries, in a UK Makita spec sheet.

So that's 2.416 hours from 180WA, therefore 75W power draw. Let's charitably assume 100% efficiency from the brushless motor, we get 0.1hp.

Of course maybe they're lying about the runtime, but they can't have it both ways!

An Amazon listing quotes 45 minutes on max power, which would give power draw of 242W / 0.3hp. That seems more likely (both runtime and power).

I guess if 0.3hp was adequate for a brush cutter there would be no reason for Makita to sell a 1hp and 2hp petrol version, since 1.0hp would be more than anyone needed.

I watched a video review of the line trimmer where the reviewer said he was irritated by the lack of variable speed control because normally even low power was more than enough for grass

So maybe the electric brush cutter is best regarded as a cowhorn-handled grass strimmer.
    Perhaps that runtime figure was achieved under no load. Once you start cutting grass you draw more power from the battery, plus as the string wears down it starts to revolve at higher revolutions, again drawing more power. I would imagine in real life its endurance would be considerably less than 145mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

On phone here so being brief. I have the bull handled guy you linked above. Can't answer tje original query but should be able to get back to you later if you have any specific queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KingNerolives

I have a trusty Tanaka brush cutter for nettles and rough weeds . Very reliable bit of kit, bought 2nd too.

I have a trusty Tanaka brush cutter for nettles and rough weeds . Very reliable bit of kit, bought 2nd too.

I have one for sale if you want a third :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KingNerolives

2nd hand, I can't edit comments lol

Advertisement