Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 light fitting, 2 lights- separate controls

Options
  • 03-06-2018 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all

We are moving into a new house shortly. For the upstairs landing there are three lights to light the area. As with most houses these are controlled via switch both upstairs and downstairs.

We are looking to have the centre light fitted with 2 bulb fittings one of which is controlled by a separate switch on upstairs wall. This will serve as a night light. Is anyone aware of a lamp shade that will facilite 2 bulb but won't look odd when only one is illuminated at a time.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Fit a recessed emergency spot light
    This will serve 2 purposes

1 the glow of the green indicator lamp will illuminate the landing area at night

2 it will provide light in stairwell if power fails

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Why not install a separate light to serve your night light needs?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Another option would be to install Philips Hue lamps in any light fitting that has two lamps. These smart lamps can be controlled independently of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Thanks all. The space doesn't allow for an additional light whilst not looking out of place. I suppose I'm wondering if there is any issue of any lampshades designed to fit 2 bulbs which are hidden within shade or some alternative. Electrics have already been set up for this at this point.

Faze11 wrote: »
    Thanks all. The space doesn't allow for an additional light whilst not looking out of place. I suppose I'm wondering if there is any issue of any lampshades designed to fit 2 bulbs which are hidden within shade or some alternative. Electrics have already been set up for this at this point.

What about my Philips Hue suggestion then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

2011 wrote: »
    What about my Philips Hue suggestion then?

Looking it up now and it looks like best option. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Nest protect fire and smoke CO alarm has an in built night light

Faze11 wrote: »
    Looking it up now and it looks like best option. Thanks a mill.

Ikea do a low budget version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Faze11 wrote:
    We are looking to have the centre light fitted with 2 bulb fittings one of which is controlled by a separate switch on upstairs wall. This will serve as a night light. Is anyone aware of a lamp shade that will facilite 2 bulb but won't look odd when only one is illuminated at a time.

Ikea have fittings with two and three lamps in them. The shade hides the lamps

I use one that has three lamp holders, I use 2
    I've a Philips hue colour and a white lamp in it. I can control them separately

Look at xaoimi lamps too, for a once off it might suit.

More switching options with Philips though

Advertisement