Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router bit for 60mm plunge cut... ¼ inch collet

Options
  • 03-06-2018 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Does such thing exist? I've seen half inch ones are common enough. I've seen 1/4 inch on eBay but I need it asap and also wondering if the force on the end of a cheap one might make it snap off... Law of the lever and all that.
    My router is a cheapo b &q jobby that has served me well til now (use it for various DIY projects). It only has quarter inch collet. I want to cut the hole for mortise lock. It requires 60mm depth. lock is the mechanism only, so about 30 or 40 mm in height.
    I've used a regular straight cut bit to get me half way down, but don't fancy the prospect of chiseling out the rest. I've 5 to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

use an auger bit to drill out most of the waste from the mortice and then use the chisel to finish the mortice square

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Same as above a decent auger bit
    Even a sharp spade bit would do then a sharp chisel to clean the edges .
    Put a ring of tape at the required depth on the neck of the bit or a ring with a marker to indicate the required depth to leave a nice clean hole .
    The router is handy but a 60mm 1/4 inch bit just sounds like trouble for mortice locks esp at full depth

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Ok cheers for the info lads. Makes sense. Actually didn't know what an auger bit was (til I googled it) although I'd come across them in the past not knowing what it was called.
    Did one of them today with a spayed bit that I had knocking about and chisel. Took me about 2 hours :(... Might be time to get a router upgrade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

Picked up an Auger bit - gave it a quick test drive last night - it ate through it!!! Thanks for the tip.
    Still a pain chiselling out after it - but sure what can you do, i wouldnt justify the use of the new router, never mind the jig.

I'll persevere with it I've only 3 left - ill get to them next weekend.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Picked up an Auger bit - gave it a quick test drive last night - it ate through it!!! Thanks for the tip.
    Still a pain chiselling out after it - but sure what can you do, i wouldnt justify the use of the new router, never mind the jig.

I'll persevere with it I've only 3 left - ill get to them next weekend.

Thanks again!

Make sure the chissels are sharp makes a big difference
    Let the auger bit do most of the work make sure each drill hole overlaps so there's very little wood left in the mortice just a bit of cleaning up on the sides.

Make sure the chissels are sharp makes a big difference
    Let the auger bit do most of the work make sure each drill hole overlaps so there's very little wood left in the mortice just a bit of cleaning up on the sides.

Got there in the end. All done.
    Chisel was brand new and plenty sharp. It was more an issue with the operator. Was a pain putting the lock unit in taking out chiseling a bit more etc etc... Got better at it as i went.
    But i learned abit more and added a new tool to my box - thanks for your time.

Advertisement