Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best places to live in the city to take advantage of the city social life

Options
  • 03-06-2018 10:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭

Where in the city are the best and nicest to live to be able to take advantage of the cities social scene?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

this isnt New york or London - most areas in Dublin should do you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If it were me somewhere like Ranelagh, good local bars and restaurants and still a stroll or luas to the middle of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

Aungier St.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Where you can afford.

Not much social life if funds are so low you're surviving on beans on toast and walking 3 plus miles because you can't even afford public transport.

That being said, Dublin isn't that big or hard to get to. I'm going to a show there in a few weeks and I could be getting in to bed in Ennis at 02:00am if I decide to travel back. (Granted with 2.5hr drive)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ranelagh is awesome. Lots of lovely bars and restaurants here but also right on the doorstep of the city centre. 10 min walk home from harcourt street at the end of the night.

I’ve lived there for a few years and really enjoyed it in the pre-babies years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

salmocab wrote: »
    If it were me somewhere like Ranelagh, good local bars and restaurants and still a stroll or luas to the middle of everything
    Choose somewhere in close proximity to a Dublin Bikes Station. A yearly subscription costs 25 euro making it the cheapest, most efficient mode of transport in the city. Plus it will mean you don't have to live in Ranelagh. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Lived in Capel Street for 3 years. Close to everything, great restaurants at your doorstep bit away from the hectic madness. Never experienced any hassle living there, and the fresh strawberries on the buggies show up every summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think the southern canal areas around Ranelagh, Charlemont, Rathmines, Portobello, Leeson Street,Baggot Street are the nicest and most interesting area in the city and collectively this area has so much going for it. But Dublin is small, every social/cultural area is relatively close to wherever you'll end up living

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Stoneybatter and Smithfield are also good areas to live, good mix of shops, restaurants and very much on the up. Becoming very liberal, hipsterish and a big LGBT community emerging in the past 15 years. Very walkable to the City Centre and the Phoenix Park - close to the Luas. Phibsboro and Drumcondra are decent areas too - close to town and Phibsboro now has the new Luas line beside it and is definitely on the up.

Also a bit cheaper than much of D8 and D6. Ranelagh is really pretty but has become very gentrified and expensive, especially if you’re young and on a relatively limited income.

But Dublin is not all that big. Most suburbs within a 25 min walk/15 min cycle and 10 min bus journey are close to town and all its amenities.

I myself live in the Blackhorse Ave area off the Navan Road in D7 and I’m only a 15 min bike ride away and less than 10 mins by bus but beside the Phoenix Park and all the greenery makes it feel semi-rural in my locale. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Isn't Rialto meant to be the new Ranelagh? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement