Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations please for family holiday in ireland

• 03-06-2018 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as the title says my hubby and me and thinking of heading away for 4-5 days with a 2 year old and 6 month old in September. Can anyone recommend somewhere in Ireland that is very child friendly. Either hotel but preferably cottage or apt hire. It will be out first holiday in 2 and a half years so want to try to get it right. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

I recommend fota lodges in cork, you have the amenities of the hotel but your in a house a few mins walk from it, there is a playground beside the lodges. We've been 5 or 6 times, if weather is raining and stuck for something to do you can use pool at hotel. It's a great base to explore cork aswell and lots to do, kinsale is about 30-40 mins away and is a fab little town, blarney another great option, you've got the fota wildlife park too. Also if you staying in lodges you can get decent takeaway food from the golf club and bring no it back, perfect when you don't want to cook and have young kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Rosslare strand! We go every year and love it! Kelly’s hotel is amazing but so so expensive :( you could rent a house no problem though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

If you are into scenery and maybe go more for walks and that, we stayed in Letterfrack with our little one who was 4 months at the time. We stayed in the hostel there and they gave us a family private room. Must say it was great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would second Fota, if the lodges are too expensive then there are usually houses to rent round the Cork area.Lots to do within driving distance.Hotel is a nuisance with toddlers I find, not worth the hassle...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Daisychain40

Dont know where you will be travelling from but would choose somewhere within 2 hours esp with the kids. Blarney Hotel is Cork is nice and easy to reach the likes of Fota. Would prefer House/Lodge with kids, Upton Court in Kilmuckridge have houses beside their hotel, small village and lovely beach nearby. And if you go west, Clare has some lovely rental properties. Always have a look on bargainbreaks or irishminibreaks for any deals ect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

You can’t beat the north coast, specifically the causeway coast. Rent a house in Portstewart - beautiful big long sandy beach there as well as lots of parks for the kids and good bars and restaurants. Spend your days driving along the gorgeous scenery, stopping at the likes of Dunluce castle, the causeway, bushmills distillery, carrick-a-rede rope bridge, and a multitude of lovely beaches. There’s also all the shoot locations from Game of Thrones including the dark hedges. Lots of fresh seafood. There’s also plenty of leisure centres for swimming, and Barry’s amusement park in portrush. Glenariff waterfall country park is less than an hour away too, in the gorgeous glens of Antrim.

We love it up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Gold coast in Dungarvan. Near the beach, nice walks around there. The greenway is amazing and you can hire bikes with a baby buggy attached. I did that with my two last summer (when they were just under 1) and they LOVED it.

Nice holiday cottages, not luxurious at all (in comparison to Fota anyway!) but very comfortable and reasonably priced. There is a playground and a pool on site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

You can’t beat the north coast, specifically the causeway coast. Rent a house in Portstewart - beautiful big long sandy beach there as well as lots of parks for the kids and good bars and restaurants. Spend your days driving along the gorgeous scenery, stopping at the likes of Dunluce castle, the causeway, bushmills distillery, carrick-a-rede rope bridge, and a multitude of lovely beaches. There’s also all the shoot locations from Game of Thrones including the dark hedges. Lots of fresh seafood. There’s also plenty of leisure centres for swimming, and Barry’s amusement park in portrush. Glenariff waterfall country park is less than an hour away too, in the gorgeous glens of Antrim.

We love it up there.

I really want to go there. Was in Antrim years and years ago and would love to go back. We are based in Cork though so it is too far a drive for a weekend. When our kids are older we plan to do a WAW drive for a holiday with them some summer and make it to Antrim at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The amber springs in Gorey is great for families

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

Parknasilla in Sneem, Co Kerry have apartments and houses. Playground, Pool and Fairy Trail/Treasure Hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Clayton in Sligo is another good family option, they have both adjoining bedrooms and suites (large sitting room with kitchen, large bed room and a smaller room) for reasonable price. They have a good pool and a kids activity room which is supervised. Walking distance to the town and beaches a 20 min drive away.

For fota keep an eye on dealpage.ie, houses come up for the off season with as much as 60% saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Harbour mill apartments in Westport are nice. Not desperately expensive and loads to do in the area.

Advertisement