Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help identifying a bike

Options
  • 03-06-2018 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

Have just started getting into cycling and as I have a canal beside me the routes and distances i can go are limitless. However as the bike i am currently using is a few years out of date, i was thinking of upgrading to something stronger, lighter and with good suspension.

I am not really into road cycling and the paths that i do use along the canal in certain sections are a mix between gravel, tarmac, muck trails and in certain sections it becomes out right off road.
    I've had a look around at mountain bikes, cross country bikes, hard tails and full suspension bikes but either i am thinking about it in the wrong way or none of the bikes i am looking at are what i am after.

Ideally i was hoping to get a bike with good suspension, full range of gears (mountain bikes only seem to have 1 set), mountain bike wheels, comfortable saddle (although not sure if i have to get this separately) and a multitude of handle grips, such as bullhorns and straight bar (again not sure if i might have to get these separately)
    Price range can be from 1-2.5k but i need to make sure its good quality and will last me a long time in such harsh environments. Also not sure if i have to buy mud guards separately?

So can someone help me identify what type of bike i should be aiming for and whether or not there are things i will need to buy separately?

Also any stores online or around Dublin/Kildare would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Gears - worry about how hard not how many.

Have a look at adventure/gravel bikes, suspension is good for fast descents when properly off road, spend a lot to be able to lock them out when on boring stuff like canals etc.

The gravel bikes can take much wider, chunkier tyres than road bikes which removes the need for suspension, have discs so your braking point is away from the mud and can fit racks and guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why would you need a 'full range of gears' if you intend to use it for relatively flat canal routes?

A cross bike should be suitable (like a road bike but with wider tyres and brake clearance for off road activities).

Suspension is unnecessary and is a waste of money in my opinion and only adds weight to the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kamikaze Pilot

Why would you need a 'full range of gears' if you intend to use it for relatively flat canal routes?

There are a lot of routes that lead off from the Canal at certain points that i also cycle on which range from forests/fields, hill climbs/slopes and also some long distance stuff. I didn't mean to say that all i do is the canal but rather that the directions i use and how to get to these locations don't require me to use main roads. I like to mix it up from speed to terrain difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’m going to suggest a 29er hard tail, the large wheels are ideal for flat surfaces/trails and you have front suspension if you need it. Full suspension bikes are for downhill/technical stuff.

I have a Cube LTD Race 29er, I nearly prefer it to my 3 roads bikes as it is so versatile and easy to ride. Mine has 3x10 gears although I rarely use the smallest ring which is reserved for extremeky steep climbs. The 29” wheels means It’s fast enough on the flat/level and it’s very very comfortable. I think something similar would be ideal for your needs.

I’m going to suggest a 29er hard tail, the large wheels are ideal for flat surfaces/trails and you have front suspension if you need it. Full suspension bikes are for downhill/technical stuff.

I have a Cube LTD Race 29er, I nearly prefer it to my 3 roads bikes as it is so versatile and easy to ride. Mine has 3x10 gears although I rarely use the smallest ring which is reserved for extremeky steep climbs. The 29” wheels means It’s fast enough on the flat/level and it’s very very comfortable. I think something similar would be ideal for your needs.

Thanks for the advice. I like the look of the Cube LTD Race bike, something similar would be ideal. But can you order these bikes with more gears? Or do they come with the standard as seen ones only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thanks for the advice. I like the look of the Cube LTD Race bike, something similar would be ideal. But can you order these bikes with more gears? Or do they come with the standard as seen ones only?

It appears the LTD is no longer made, from the spec sheets it looks like the Cube Reaction Pro is a close replacement. The Reaction Pro has 36x26T chainset and an 11-42T cassette which makes your easiest gear 26/42 (1/1.62ratio) which is very similar to the triple ring set up on my bike.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-reaction-pro-29-hardtail-bike-2018/rp-prod164838

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

However as the bike i am currently using is a few years out of date, i was thinking of upgrading to something stronger, lighter and with good suspension.
    define 'out of date' - you may find marginal gains on your outlay, depending on the bike you currently have?

define 'out of date' - you may find marginal gains on your outlay, depending on the bike you currently have?

Bout 15-17 years old. I had things added to the frame but it really is suspension i need, the shock absorption in my hands after doing some forest trails or off road has injured me several times. Also i want something that wont need to be continually upgraded as it degrades. I would rather start fresh with something new age. It will cost less to get a new bike than i reckon it would to get all the upgrades i need for the current bike. Also some of the frame is in bad shape from bangs and age. Still love the bike, it has sentimental value attached but i see a new bike like a change in life style.

Advertisement