Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another CPU upgrade thread

Options
  • 03-06-2018 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just looking for a few opinions about the current cpu crop.

Upgrading from a trusty 3570k after finally running out of patience waiting for prices to come back down a bit.

Ive created my own mini form below just to give a bit of detail:

USE:
    Gaming

NEEDED:
    Processor
    Motherboard
    RAM
    CPU Cooler

BUDGET:
    €800

So i find myself fixating on the 2700X when i originally was going to go for a 8700K. Price wise the 2700X is looking the better option. Performance wise it looks pretty close.

Technically i know i could go with a 2600X or an 8600K but i dont mind spending the extra cash as im currently running 100Hz @ 1440p,that may change down the road to 144Hz.

So what do people think? Any suggestions?

Also feel free to throw up a few builds:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have just bought my upgrade coming from the 2500k and went for the following all from Amazon, I am still waiting on the mobo so will have some fun when it comes in

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
    Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
    Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

I got the free adapter for my old Noctua NH-14 cooler so will reuse that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say for 100hz it doesn't really matter and AMD is good value, especially on the lower end of the scale you get a lot of bang for the buck with the likes of the 2600X.

For 144Hz, a 8700K probably has a decent edge over the 2700X.

It depends on what card you have as well I suppose. Eg I'd take a cheap 3770K upgrade + GTX1080Ti over a 2700X + GTX1060 or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Cheers.

Ive a 1080 im going to be keeping. Good enough for 100Hz in most games. Usually limited by the cpu ive found in games where i cant get 100fps.

Not sure id want to go with a 3770K,i have the money there and im happy to spend it as i know either the 2700X or 8700K will last me a long time with the odd gpu upgrade.

So i guess the question is weather id take the better value or pay more for that extra bit of performance to push those very high frame rates.

Arrgh,the competition between Intel and AMD currently is awesome,it does make it that bit harder to choose though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well, if you already have the 1080 I'd say it's just a matter of how far you're willing to go. If you want the absolute best in terms of maximizing FPS on a 144hz display, Intel is the better option.

If you want the best value for money (and realistically, still extremely good performance) AMD is the choice.

If you could commit to keeping the 100hz indefinitely, I'd stick with AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2GLxgw

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.79 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 SE-AM4 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus - TUF X470-PLUS GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.94 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($208.47 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $768.10

Totals about €780 on amazon.co.uk

Anybody see any issues there?

Ive still to check around for best prices,a quick look suggests ocuk and scan are gonna be more expensive though and not sure where else to check these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ocuk are supposedly good to deal with but they are more expensive. As you can't have good CS and be cheap, not really viable.

German stores were always cheaper and still are but most do not sell outside Germany anymore but you were nearly always going to have problems if a component was faulty mostly due to language barrier.

Best advice would be check all main European Amazons as there does be some bargains on different things in different location amazons from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

use www.curiua.com to check European Amazon prices

Advertisement