Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Ireland could replicate one aspect of another country or city....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think we need private health insurance mentality because I don't think state run health care isn't good enough either in Ireland or the UK.

I think that for trivial healthcare it could be provided by the state. I think it would work and would cover those from deprived backgrounds but I think when it comes to serious healthcare the US insurance system is better.

Edit: I really do think that if ppl thought more about their health and spent less money on nights out in the pub and taxis etc it wouldn't be as difficult as it might seem to pay for private health insurance.

I lived in America and their system is in no way better unless you are well off. None of the low paid jobs I had even provided health insurance. The one decently waged job I had did, but when they wanted to cut costs they tried to force us onto a plan that was way worse.

I couldn't afford the doctor or dentist for years on end until I moved back here, how is that better. I got bit by a dog once, drove myself to the hospital, and was there about 15 mins to get a tetanus shot.

Bill: 1200 dollars.

and oh yeah, cutting down on taxis will make healthcare affordable. let me guess, giving up my morning coffee will also allow me to stop renting and buy a house. seriously you don't know what you are talking about whatsoever in regards to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Lori2018

The weather,.. imagine how beautiful it would be then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Belfast....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think we need private health insurance mentality because I don't think state run health care isn't good enough either in Ireland or the UK.

I think that for trivial healthcare it could be provided by the state. I think it would work and would cover those from deprived backgrounds but I think when it comes to serious healthcare the US insurance system is better.

You want private healthcare and you think the USA system is better?

Tell me, have you actually experienced the USA system, have you seen how it financially destroys people after even a relatively minor injury or illness?

For all the flaws of the HSE. I'd take it any day over the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Pompous wrote: »
    Map of cycle lanes in central Europe.
    452398.jpg

I am not a greedy man so I would like one of two things:

1) Cycling infrastructure rivalling that of the Netherlands.
    2) For cyclists to be treated with respect like they are in the Netherlands. Like human beings.

After the day (or life) I have had cycling in Dublin, I'll settle for just one of these. Either one would probably save my life.

Talk to your CEO about writing to the National Transport Authority and the Minister for Transport asking for the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network to be built.

Slide show to show your CEO: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vR6cougHvt1vaqYQ_KjNZEX27wSqbhX5_vIcFauN44k-Jd2eYOYzFRjbJOPOeA32B68kqZ4oH3r-LTg/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=5000&slide=id.g37d5cd6b18_0_8
    Templates for letters to Transport and Minister: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BAHcnEy4IZaF_xmE10yx1awPx6zJtdEy

Back on topic: a focus on national happiness like Bhutan http://ophi.org.uk/policy/national-policy/gross-national-happiness-index/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

maybe we should look into policies like this?

https://twitter.com/PrecisionHomes_/status/992643292725698560

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Are there any countries where people take their
    responsibilities as seriously as their rights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A train that links the City to the Airport.

Vietnam's naps.

Most businesses and civil servents go to sleep for an hour or so after lunch, same as with all students / teachers in schools etc.

I sometimes have to wake the staff up in places when I walk in at any time of the day if it's quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

tastyt wrote: »
    A police force that demands respect, appearing fit strong and not to be ****ed with.

One that will genuinely deal harshly with the absolute scrotes roaming our steets, like the french or Spanish cops

Rather than having a police force that demands respect, I'd rather have a police that has earned respect and affords respect.

A police force that does its job properly would merit respect in any country.

jaxxx wrote: »
    ^ Along with judges who have the cop-on and morality to dish out actual justice and not pathetically short sentences with pathetic early release excuses.

Would it be fair to say that Judges can only do this only because the law allows them to?

If interpretation of the sentencing rules was removed or decreased then proper sentencing would be more likely.

Greybottle wrote: »
    Munichs public transport system. Along with the German system of land ownership and planning.

Germany's support and commitment to community energy schemes.

Dutch commitment to seeing cyclists as being normal rather than a valid target for motorists.

Licencing laws from almost any country in Europe.

System of communal politics and local tax raising in Germany and France.

If you are going to go down this route, cyclist and pedestrians should be separated as much as possible, otherwise cyclists should be forced to use bells or some other system of warning pedestrians. I was nearly injured several times by cyclists in amsterdam. If a motorist did that they'd be forced to pay out through their car insurance.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Civic pride. We seem to have a real aversion to dealing with our own ****e. Other countries mastered this generations ago.

When we deal with our own shyte in this country it's usually followed up by a planning objection.

German organisation and efficiency.

How's Berlin's new airport coming on in the organisation and efficiency stakes?

Why German efficiency is a myth
    We can't organise **** in this country

I always wonder when people use "can't" and "shít" in the one sentence is that actually a double negative and they're therefore saying, for instance, we can organise things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

A US style prison system where repeat offenders are locked away for decades, no more of this 160 previous conviction nonsense and harsher sentences for violent crime and theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The asses of South American girls.

old-lady-and-donkey-AAWEA9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

What country has:

1. the people cultured enough to respect and protect the environment around them?

2. the people who have enough breeding not to litter?

3. the people with enough philosophy to know they are privileged guests on this planet, custodians of our world for those who come after us?

4. the people with enough wisdom to be aware that in this part of the world we are all, to varying degrees, essentially recipients of the best gifts the lottery of life can offer, and consequently be a bit kinder to people less fortunate than us in our very, very short time in this beautiful world?

5. the men with basic hygiene levels who can use toilets and toilet seats with respect for the person who arrives after them?

I would like Ireland to emulate that society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Simply put a dozen helium filled giant concave disco balls, up around the coast in the high atmosphere. They could be remotely angled to burn up any incoming clouds or warm up the beaches.

Alternatively, extend Cork-Kerry out towards the extremeties of the outer Irish sea territories, a nice pleasent Riveria - past Britanny (handy for brexitous) and on towards Porto Delgado. Something like 90% of Ire territory is under the sea, so use it up.

SojoI2d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The asses of South American girls.

Lock this thread down lads. Winner Winner on #1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

What country has:

1. the people cultured enough to respect and protect the environment around them?

3. the people with enough philosophy to know they are privileged guests on this planet, custodians of our world for those who come after us?

4. the people with enough wisdom to be aware that in this part of the world we are all, to varying degrees, essentially recipients of the best gifts the lottery of life can offer, and consequently be a bit kinder to people less fortunate than us in our very, very short time in this beautiful world?

5. the men with basic hygiene levels who can use toilets and toilet seats with respect for the person who arrives after them?

Japan.

Even the jacks in public parks were immaculate, and the only place I saw litter was in Tokyo's equivalent of Temple Bar.

pauliebdub wrote: »
    A US style prison system where repeat offenders are locked away for decades, no more of this 160 previous conviction nonsense and harsher sentences for violent crime and theft.

Dystopia defined. The most profoundly fúcked-up prison system on the planet. Whether it's judges getting kick-backs from the private corporations which own prisons for each offender they send to their prisons, or entire states like New York & Virginia shaping legislation so that the enormous privately owned so-called "prison-industrial complex" in those states can imprison far more people than necessary in order to boost employment and profits in the prison industry, the United States "justice" system is a veritable nightmare.

In most things in life - promoting innovation being the major exception - the post-Obama US is a hideously immature, crass and uncouth society which has little to offer more culturally and socially evolved societies except guns and a fundamentalist consumer culture.

The Sentencing Project in Washington DC has collated some astonishing statistics on the incarceration/imprisonment rate in the US:

The Sentencing Project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What country has:

So that'll be another vote for Scandanavua then

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Simply put a dozen helium filled giant concave disco balls, up around the coast in the high atmosphere. They could be remotely angled to burn up any incoming clouds or warm up the beaches.

Alternatively, extend Cork-Kerry out towards the extremeties of the outer Irish sea territories, a nice pleasent Riveria - past Britanny (handy for brexitous) and on towards Porto Delgado. Something like 90% of Ire territory is under the sea, so use it up.

SojoI2d.png

Oh, now, that's just silly. Instead, we should simply tow Ireland to the Bay of Biscay and slide into the nook between France and Spain. Good weather, good neighbours. A few nice cycling bridges to cross over.
    Lucena wrote: »
    Japan.

Even the jacks in public parks were immaculate, and the only place I saw litter was in Tokyo's equivalent of Temple Bar.

We've been in different Japans, I think. A good few of the public toilets I visited were the old crouchy kind with big footprints to put your feet on, and niffed to high heaven.

True about the lack of litter, though.

But Japanese men love to piss in the open after a night out drinking, the nasty scamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Squares like you have on the continent where people can go and sit and have a coffee at a terrace etc. parks should have these little cafes too.
    Also little food places by the sea like on the continent. No reason we couldn’t have covered ones as we have the coast for it.
    There is nowhere really to go and sit in Dublin city, like a square or plaza to enjoy the weather when it is fine other than a park bench. I live in malahide and the only place in the village to sit out for a coffee is by an intersection and it’s a wine bar. Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

How's Berlin's new airport coming on in the organisation and efficiency stakes?

Why German efficiency is a myth

I always wonder when people use "can't" and "shít" in the one sentence is that actually a double negative and they're therefore saying, for instance, we can organise things.

You sound angry. That's not good for you.

Germany has signs in the toilets instructing men to sit down and piss like a woman

I pissed all over the toilet seat everywhere I went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Germany has signs in the toilets instructing men to sit down and piss like a woman

I pissed all over the toilet seat everywhere I went

The women in your life must have very odd toilet habits

Shenshen wrote: »
    The women in your life must have very odd toilet habits

Just keeping it real. Anyone that has ever worked in the service industry knows the women's jack's are like the one from trainspotting

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Talk to your CEO about writing to the National Transport Authority and the Minister for Transport asking for the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network to be built.

Slide show to show your CEO: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vR6cougHvt1vaqYQ_KjNZEX27wSqbhX5_vIcFauN44k-Jd2eYOYzFRjbJOPOeA32B68kqZ4oH3r-LTg/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=5000&slide=id.g37d5cd6b18_0_8
    Templates for letters to Transport and Minister: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BAHcnEy4IZaF_xmE10yx1awPx6zJtdEy

Thanks, that's a great idea in theory.

What little cycling infrastructure that has been put in place in and around Dublin is so bad that I have no choice but to use the roads. This leads to drivers harassing me for cycling on the road when there is a 'cycle lane' in sight.

I'm afraid to see what a Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network would look like. I know it will be done wrong, and it will only cause more suffering and wasted money.

• Advertisement

Pompous wrote: »
    Thanks, that's a great idea in theory.

What little cycling infrastructure that has been put in place in and around Dublin is so bad that I have no choice but to use the roads. This leads to drivers harassing me for cycling on the road when there is a 'cycle lane' in sight.

I'm afraid to see what a Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network would look like. I know it will be done wrong, and it will only cause more suffering and wasted money.

It would look like this:

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/publications/transport-planning/gda-cycle-network-plan/

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Written_Report11.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Sweden's mass immigration/self destruction policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

seachto7 wrote:
    Squares like you have on the continent where people can go and sit and have a coffee at a terrace etc. parks should have these little cafes too. Also little food places by the sea like on the continent. No reason we couldn’t have covered ones as we have the coast for it. There is nowhere really to go and sit in Dublin city, like a square or plaza to enjoy the weather when it is fine other than a park bench. I live in malahide and the only place in the village to sit out for a coffee is by an intersection and it’s a wine bar. Joke.

Are you suggesting you'd prefer concrete as opposed to green areas such as Phoenix Park, Stephens Green, or the park near the marina in Malahide.... etc?

Not for me thanks.

Are you suggesting you'd prefer concrete as opposed to green areas such as Phoenix Park, Stephens Green, or the park near the marina in Malahide.... etc?

Not for me thanks.

We could have both, though. In each of the villages of Dublin, one or more "squares" - little plazas where people could sit and chat and drink a cuppa or a glassa, with trees and flowers and comfy benches.

Also, like France, every area could have a Mairie, a town hall where local groups could put on plays and music, awards could be given, local events, announcements, book clubs, film shows…

Thanks, these documents confirm my worries. A whole lot of money being spent on much of the same unusable 'infrastructure'.

Hearts in the right place, but the execution is just awful. All cyclists are downgraded to pedestrians at every junction and expected to press the button and wait for the lights... it's an exercise in futility at the expense of the taxpayers.

These problems are not being addressed at all in this new plan, I hope it doesn't go ahead. I'd prefer to cycle on roads as they are now than to cycle on roads with unusable bike lanes painted onto footpaths, which only fuels motorist road rage and puts my life further in danger.

We should make real infrastructure, or don't bother at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Cyclists to be more like cyclists in the Netherlands, busty women with baguettes in their baskets rather than the idiotic MAMILs tooling around thinking they're cars.

Norway's justice system, effective rehabilitation and short sentences.

France's motorways - decent speed limit with everyone on the same page of driving at a decent rate and staying in the fcuking driving lane. Graduated penalties for speeding.

Sweden's women with the German attitude to sex.

Italian attitude to sitting out to all hours drinking wine, having good food and a chat.

Spain's ability to actually parent children and have them sit down and eat in a restaurant.

Portugal's drug possession policy.

**** me I could do this all day.

Edit: Danish attitude to Eurovision

Amsterdam's Coffee shops

Sticking knackers who ruin estates into shipping containers until they learn to behave (where was this again?)

US Style of driving licences - let people drive with restrictions after a basic test.

Aussies ability to creatively string together swearwords.

Russia's social welfare system.

France's Health System.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not for me thanks.
    We could have both, though. In each of the villages of Dublin, one or more "squares" - little plazas where people could sit and chat and drink a cuppa or a glassa, with trees and flowers and comfy benches.

Also, like France, every area could have a Mairie, a town hall where local groups could put on plays and music, awards could be given, local events, announcements, book clubs, film shows…

I think the idea here is to make the central area of every town pedestrian only. I'm not saying vast swathes of them, just a couple of hundred metres radius. Then either concrete or small grass park area.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Rather than having a police force that demands respect, I'd rather have a police that has earned respect and affords respect.

A police force that does its job properly would merit respect in any country.

How about a police that's respected by law abiding citizens and feared by law breaking scumbags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Stephen15 wrote:
    How about a police that's respected by law abiding citizens and feared by law breaking scumbags

I'd sooner a country with no (statistically soeaking) scumbags than a police force set up to deal with them on a regular occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    German (or even British) road driving lane discipline

This is a myth. The lane discipline in Germany is not that great. The driving is atrocious.
    Cyclists to be more like cyclists in the Netherlands

What does that even mean?

A lot of people here seem to be listing stereotypes. The grass is always greener and all that.

Munichs metro system would be nice to have, but as it is a nice thing and we can't have nice things in Ireland, it would be wasted on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Cops like Rio, to make all the no hopers disappear. Genuine cases could be cared for by organisations, organised beggars have no right to be on the streets harassing people.

What country has:

That is a top post.

I wouldn’t consider myself an eco warrior or anything, but the absolute need less damage we do as a species is just mind blowing.

I mean, why is any retailer still selling or providing plastic straws? Why do use cream shops give out plastic spoons?

I say let’s take matters in to our own hands. Why wait for politicians to ban single use plastics, when we could just stop using them or boycott shops that provide them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What does that even mean?

A lot of people here seem to be listing stereotypes. The grass is always greener and all that.

It means that the average VOCAL Irish cyclist wouldn't last five minutes on the infrastructure in the Netherlands et al without someone dragging them off and giving them a few slaps. People cycle around at a sedate pace with some wherewithal of what's going on around them, not like they're competing in the tour de France.

There a fecking reason it's call a 'dutch style' bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

jaxxx wrote: »
    ^ Along with judges who have the cop-on and morality to dish out actual justice and not pathetically short sentences with pathetic early release excuses.

Sent judges back to Maths school.
    4 years + 3 years equals 7 years. Not 4 years with 2 suspended and out in 18 months.
    If a scrote is caught commiting ANY crime while out on bail, then all bail should be revocked until all and any crime hearings are completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It means that the average VOCAL Irish cyclist wouldn't last five minutes on the infrastructure in the Netherlands et al without someone dragging them off and giving them a few slaps. People cycle around at a sedate pace with some wherewithal of what's going on around them, not like they're competing in the tour de France.

There a fecking reason it's call a 'dutch style' bike.

What's an "average VOCAL Irish cyclist"?

The Netherlands is flat, Ireland is not. A dutch style bike is not going to be very effective on a long hilly commute. The infrastructure is also not there. Are you really suggesting that cyclists move at a sedate pace (slowly?). From your description, doesn't sound like you ever set foot in the Netherlands, sedate is the last word I would describe a Dutch cyclist.

Your post is full of hyperbole.

Sounds to me that you're just envious looking at cyclists passing you as you sit in traffic :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

End concurrent sentencing for repeat offenders.

Decriminalise possession for personal use.

End this half hearted tinkering with the housing market - either do it properly and build loads of social housing for anyone who needs it or stay the hell out of it and allow the market work.

Even if we had the cycling infrastructure like in the Netherlands I would say there would be still some idiots who continue to cycle on the road. They would probably be the ones that have an attitude of superiority thinking that cars, trucks and buses should have to slow down just to facilitate them. They would also probably upload the footage to YouTube every time someone driving steps out of line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

The whole judicial system in this country needs to be completely revamped. There are way too many dangerous individuals walking the streets with tons of convictions that should be locked up for long time.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Even if we had the cycling infrastructure like in the Netherlands I would say there would be still some idiots who continue to cycle on the road.

Not a chance. The reason cyclists here use roads when there is 'cycling infrastructure' in place is because they are downgraded to pedestrian status at every single junction. This does not happen in the Netherlands at all and a cyclist would have absolutely no motivation to be on the roads.
    They would probably be the ones that have an attitude of superiority thinking that cars, trucks and buses should have to slow down just to facilitate them.

Not sure if you are referring to this hypothetical situation of Dublin with proper infrastructure, or Dublin as it is today. I suspect the latter and shall address this point as such.

Some cyclists do have an attitude of superiority and it gives all cyclists a bad name, it's a terrible thing to see whether you're a mature cycling enthusiast or a motorist or a pedestrian. That being said, sometimes cars, trucks and buses should have to slow down to facilitate them. Just like they have to slow down to facilitate all road users. This is not an outlandish concept and seems to be at the heart of most of the hatred towards cyclists in this country. This deeply embedded idea that they have no right to exist in the first place.

I am genuinely curious as to where this attitude originated.
    They would also probably upload the footage to YouTube every time someone driving steps out of line.

I know the type of cyclist you're talking about. It's a very childish way to be carrying on. But sure at least they're not doing any harm... for the most part.

Apologies if I am derailing the thread but I felt I had some valid points to make in response to this comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The whole judicial system in this country needs to be completely revamped. There are way too many dangerous individuals walking the streets with tons of convictions that should be locked up for long time.

Its totally fcuked up when someone with a string of convictions, who commits a crime whilst on bail, gets bailed again free to walk the streets and commit further crimes, then to get all their crimes heard at the same time to have all sentencing run concurrently.
    That's just taking the p!ss and making a fool of the Garda and judiciary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement