Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay parking in towns.

• 03-06-2018 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Do I have to get a ticket to park the bike in towns were pay parking is in operation. If so where do you put the ticket on the bike? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Do I have to get a ticket to park the bike in towns were pay parking is in operation. If so where do you put the ticket on the bike? :confused:

I wouldn't worry about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It's a tricky one. As you said where do you put the ticket.
    I wouldn't pay and park in a spot id rather park on a path but not blocking anything.

Lad I know got clamped during the week on a footpath but the ticket said "parking on double yellow".
    It was private land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I have "firefighter on call" stickers for the car maybe Ill stick one on the bike somewhere just in case.It doesn't exempt me from pay parking but the wardens tend to be a bit more lenient to us. Mind you it was no help one day in Enniskillen.:mad:

I have "firefighter on call" stickers for the car maybe Ill stick one on the bike somewhere just in case.It doesn't exempt me from pay parking but the wardens tend to be a bit more lenient to us. Mind you it was no help one day in Enniskillen.:mad:

First thing I thought of was the "midwife on call " sign hanging from Delboys van :D

GBX wrote: »
    First thing I thought of was the "midwife on call " sign hanging from Delboys van :D
    Not many midwifes on motorbike I'd say!!:D

Mind you might be an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Law...

DUBLIN CITY COUNCIL PARKING CONTROL BYE-LAWS 2014
    http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Documents/ParkingControlByeLaws2014.pdf
    Motor cycles and pedal cycles prohibited from parking in paid parking areas
    13. A motor cycle, with or without a sidecar, or a pedal cycle shall not be parked during operational hours in a paid parking area.

Aaaaaand that's all they have to say on that matter.

Further information that is not law...

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin/where-park
    You can park in the following places:
    In any other location not included in the list of "Where not to park", as shown below.

Where NOT to park
    [footpaths not specifically listed]

Other parking restrictions
    It is illegal to park in a way which interferes with traffic flow or obstructs or endangers other road users, for example:

No parking on a footpath (either partly or wholly).

So, although parking on a footpath is given as an example of "obstructs or endangers other road users", it is not specifically prohibited unless it "obstructs or endangers other road users".

Since the council have disallowed by law motorcycles from parking in paid spaces, it is reasonable to conclude (as we all do) that motorcycle footpath parking is endorsed by the council as long as you're not unusually obstructing or endangering other road users.

They cannot argue that a well-parked motorcycle is an obstruction or endangerment, because in that case it would not be possible to ever park a motorcycle without obstruction or endangerment, and therefore motorcycles would be allowed to use paid parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,479 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lumen wrote: »
    So, although parking on a footpath is given as an example of "obstructs or endangers other road users", it is not specifically prohibited unless it "obstructs or endangers other road users".
    That list is not an exhaustive set of rules.

It's illegal for all mechanically propelled vehicles to park on a footway under the road traffic regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Victor wrote: »
    That list is not an exhaustive set of rules.

It's illegal for all mechanically propelled vehicles to park on a foot path under the road traffic regulations.

That's also grey, where the vehicle prohibits the passage on the path or the road.

Ie you could have an path that's 10 feet wide and it would be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Victor wrote: »
    It's illegal for all mechanically propelled vehicles to park on a foot path under the road traffic regulations.
    Source?

The 1997 SI bans parking on a "footway", not a "footpath", which is separately defined in the 1993 Roads Act.

S.I. No. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print
    "footway" has the meaning assigned to it by section 2(1) of the Act of 1993;A vehicle shall not be parked—
    ( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

Roads Act, 1993
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1993/act/14/enacted/en/print.html
    “footpath” means a road over which there is a public right of way for pedestrians only, not being a footway;

“footway” means that portion of any road associated with a roadway which is provided primarily for use by pedestrians;

Clear as mud to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

So can I ask where you are to park a motorbike then?

You get grief off car drivers for parking a bike in a car park space. Or it gets knocked over.

You cant park on the path cause you get clamped.

And all most no parking bays for motorbikes.

So where does a biker park then??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

So can I ask where you are to park a motorbike then?

You get grief off car drivers for parking a bike in a car park space. Or it gets knocked over.

You cant park on the path cause you get clamped.

And all most no parking bays for motorbikes.

So where does a biker park then??

Near other bikes?.. Like all things, don't be a dick and you'll get away with most things.

When we had warden in Dublin I got a few tickets in O'Connell St, I used to chuck them away and never heard a thing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I normally park beside bicycle racks but don't use the rack itself, I don't need the the cycling community on my case, I've enough problems. Just keep the bike out of the way and be considerate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

There's specific motor cycle parking just off O'Connell Street on the street between Penny's and the GPO.[/quote]

And allways has scum hanging around looking at what to rob.

Wouldn't park anything there.

And before anyone says about thecgarda on the GPO door.....useless and not interested in what happens at the motorbike bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its called Prince's Street, and I had two RD350YPVS's stripped almost bare there so haven't parked there in almost twenty years.

I have parked in Princes St. There is also here - Ormond Quay Upper https://goo.gl/maps/95Au4L2k2Ms. Again use cautiously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I never had a problem on footpaths. Don't park on narrow footpaths, a wheelchair or double buggy at least has to have plenty of room. I usually put the front wheel against something solid like the bollard or lamppost here: https://goo.gl/maps/G3y1dcLHcFT2

If your bike is in line with something solid, less chance for it to be considered blocking anything.

I remember going to park here on the path: https://goo.gl/maps/5qUY281SDtF2
    But it was too narrow, especially when car doors have to open. Moved it up towards the traffic lights. Common sense is needed, but it's surprising how many people don't have it. There's millions of places to park around Dublin anyway.

Common sense definitely plays a part but still be careful, mate of mine got done albiet by a private company for "parking on double yellows"

33662565_10215041482764964_7387838714036092928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=16dffa627be0c410d5c7633ee1f80df7&oe=5BB6E78A

Common sense definitely plays a part but still be careful, mate of mine got done albiet by a private company for "parking on double yellows"

33662565_10215041482764964_7387838714036092928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=16dffa627be0c410d5c7633ee1f80df7&oe=5BB6E78A

I'd fight that to the bitter end, f'n chancers!

Yeah - they are ruthless. He had to pay and then go through an appeal if he feels its incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I have "firefighter on call" stickers for the car
    Wouldn't a firefighter on call be in the fire station, waiting for the call - and not out and about in town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

That's a f.....g d..k move.
    As said by many other, I usually park on a footpath, leaving as sufficient space for pedestrian and never had problems (aligning with fix objects like lamp posts and bollard is usually what I go for).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wouldn't a firefighter on call be in the fire station, waiting for the call - and not out and about in town?

No.

Plopli wrote: »
    That's a f.....g d..k move.
    As said by many other, I usually park on a footpath, leaving as sufficient space for pedestrian and never had problems (aligning with fix objects like lamp posts and bollard is usually what I go for).

Same but in this pic, they parked beside a tree and a bike rack. I would be raging if these d1cks tried this with me. I think I'd call the cops!

zubair wrote: »
    Same but in this pic, they parked beside a tree and a bike rack. I would be raging if these d1cks tried this with me. I think I'd call the cops!

Because its private property, the cops wouldnt entertain it. They'd say it was a private dispute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

You realise that throughout most of the country (in geographical terms, if not population terms) the fire service is largely staffed by part timers who work day-jobs, and quite literally get paged from home or work to attend calls? So if they are on call, but not actively responding/being deployed to a call, the fire station is probably the least likely place they'd be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cython wrote: »
    You realise that throughout most of the country (in geographical terms, if not population terms) the fire service is largely staffed by part timers who work day-jobs, and quite literally get paged from home or work to attend calls? So if they are on call, but not actively responding/being deployed to a call, the fire station is probably the least likely place they'd be.

Fair point, I was a bit Dublin-centric in my point. With those retained fire services, are people actually on call for periods, or are they on call all the time?

I feel like we're going off topic here, standard motorbike boards thread lol

Back on topic :D

1200px-Merseyside_Fire_and_Rescue_Motorbike.jpg

• Advertisement

Only in the major cities plus waterford and cork county. the rest of the country are retained (ie on call 24/7) and have other jobs as well so the answer to your question for the most part is no.;)

Advertisement