Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters Requirements for Universities

• 04-06-2018 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

So I am about to graduate with my degree, which is a level 8 honours bachelors degree from Waterford Institute of Technology. I am on course for a 1:1 degree.

I am wondering is this enough to satisfy entry requirements into masters programs from the likes of UCD and TCD?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have you given any thought to looking up a few masters courses and seeing what the entry requirements are?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭HungryEmperor

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Have you given any thought to looking up a few masters courses and seeing what the entry requirements are?

I have, what I mean is do the likes of TCD accept degrees from non-universities for their masters programs? I just want to know if anyone has any personal experience of this. Thanks :)

I have, what I mean is do the likes of TCD accept degrees from non-universities for their masters programs? I just want to know if anyone has any personal experience of this. Thanks :)

In business subjects, they will certainly consider them. Not sure about other disciplines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Why wouldn't they? A degree program is a level 8 no matter where you graduate from. Now, some programs have a better reputation for certain disciplines that others but on paper a degree is a degree.

Why wouldn't they? A degree program is a level 8 no matter where you graduate from. Now, some programs have a better reputation for certain disciplines that others but on paper a degree is a degree.

On paper, yes, but the awarding institution has a bearing on the admissions decision, in my experience. Whether that's right or wrong is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

On paper, yes, but the awarding institution has a bearing on the admissions decision, in my experience. Whether that's right or wrong is another matter.

TBH I've never heard of anyone being turned down because their degree was from an IT rather than a University.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you look at the entry requirements, it is generally a Level 8 in a cognate discipline. As others have said, a Level 8 is a Level 8, no matter where in the country (or Europe, for that matter, God Bless ECTS) it comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I have a degree and a conversion H. Dip from two different private colleges, and I was accepted to both a masters program in UCC and subsequently a PhD in Trinity.

Once you have a recognised level 8, you'll meet (or exceed with a 1.1) the minimum academic requirement for a masters program.

Advertisement