Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nespresso coffee?

• 04-06-2018 7:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭

I'm back drinking coffee after a few years of avoiding it (ulcer) I recently bought a Tassimo machine and tried lots of different types of coffee but didn't like any. All nasty and bitter while being weak at the same time!

Luckily its on the blink so I can return it. I'm looking at Nespresso machines now but can anyone advise if it will give me a better cup of coffee?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

It is hard to see if nespresso machine will be much better ...
    Each capsule contains 5-6 grams of ground coffee , which is hardly enough to make a strong coffee .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Nespresso will be better than tassimo, but as above, it's just 5g of coffee. A 12oz coffee shop cup will have 12-15g.

If you have time, then an espresso machine using ground coffee will be best before going to bean to cup.

But if time and handiness is important, nespresso is a good option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Nespresso will be better than tassimo, but as above, it's just 5g of coffee. A 12oz coffee shop cup will have 12-15g.

If you have time, then an espresso machine using ground coffee will be best before going to bean to cup.

But if time and handiness is important, nespresso is a good option

Thanks for that.

Yes, time and handiness are definitely factors here. But found all the Tassimo cofees I tried left an aftertaste that made me think I'd just had a cup of instant coffee. I'm hoping Nespresso might be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

sudzs wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Yes, time and handiness are definitely factors here. But found all the Tassimo cofees I tried left an aftertaste that made me think I'd just had a cup of instant coffee. I'm hoping Nespresso might be better.

I’ve found the 100% Columbian tassimo to be the nicest. Lovely strong flavour. I do have a range of pods in he house but buy the columbian in bulk from amazon because I go through so many.

Not a fan of nespresso at all.

OU812 wrote: »
    I’ve found the 100% Columbian tassimo to be the nicest. Lovely strong flavour. I do have a range of pods in he house but buy the columbian in bulk from amazon because I go through so many.

Not a fan of nespresso at all.

Yes, the Colombian was the best of them but soooo weak and watery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I’ve tried a few different machines, always went back to Nespresso, by far the best of what I’ve had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I use 2 pods for a cup. About an 8 or 9 intensity for the long shot and a ristretto to finish it off. It gives a nice strong flavour and allows for a decent drop of milk too. I don't always have nespresso branded ones but L'or are the next best thing.
    I know it doubles the price of each cup but a single pod is definitley too weak for me. It's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was given a Nespresso machine a while back, and was horrified at how small the cups were, even the lungo ones (maybe I should have been more horrified at the volume of coffee I'd got used to drinking :eek:)

Also went through a lot of the mid-strength pods and found them all far too weak. The 9/10 ones are ok, but only ok and I generally need 2 of them at least for my morning coffee.

I hardly ever use the machine any more now, went back to my faithful stove-top espresso pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I was given a Nespresso machine a while back, and was horrified at how small the cups were, even the lungo ones (maybe I should have been more horrified at the volume of coffee I'd got used to drinking :eek:)

You can change the setting on Nespresso machines so that the lungo button creates whatever size you want.

I prefer the Lidl capsules to the genuine. Especially the ristretto and viola. The part where the machine pierces is foil now rather than plastic, so less likely to damage the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

bluelamp wrote: »
    You can change the setting on Nespresso machines so that the lungo button creates whatever size you want.

I realise that, but if I make it longer, it means it's even weaker. Win/lose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Honestly, an Aeropress is going to give you a way more satisfying cup of coffee for a fraction of the price and not much longer to prepare.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Having tried a lot of different coffees from Tassimo and Nespresso I thought the nespresso had some better coffees but I wasn't really impressed by either so am going with a cafetière instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement