Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need magpie for Larsen trap

Options
  • 04-06-2018 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Case solved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You could try a few eggs, has worked here in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thebullers

_Brian wrote: »
    You could try a few eggs, has worked here in the past.

Thanks Brian, I tried this and so far it doesn’t work. Will try again. Best would be someone had a call board. And which I could pick up : )

Yea.
    Can be hard got just when you want them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Larsen traps are cruel & your idea is pointless. Take Magpies away & you just create a new vacant territory for another to move into.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Discodog wrote: »
    Larsen traps are cruel & your idea is pointless. Take Magpies away & you just create a new vacant territory for another to move into.

You don't just catch one, you catch as many as possible.

Some folks got in a flap here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056418566

http://www.banbloodsports.com/camp-larsen.htm

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Larsen traps.. As In the live catch traps... Not what I'd call cruel... The territory argument holds some water though...

Okay I'm gonna edit that... Any live catch trap that you're not checking frequently puts undue stress on caught animals...
    And we used eggs as bait.. But that's why we were trapping them, they were taking loads of eggs...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You can debate the morality of them all you wish but the state allows the killing of magpies and destruction of their nests. Larson traps work wonders in areas where other means of culling is not possible (shooting). If you keep the numbers down you should notice an increase in song birds returning to the area over time. Try a decoy and a recording if you can't get a live call bird. Hen eggs should work completely fine. If you are not having any luck, try opening the top of the egg so the yoke is visible, place it in a makeshift nest ;)

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If you keep the numbers down you should notice an increase in song birds returning to the area over time.
    The study found that songbird numbers were no different in places where there were many magpies from where there are few. It found no evidence that increased numbers of magpies have caused declines in songbirds and confirms that populations of prey species are not determined by the numbers of their predators. Availability of food and suitable nesting sites are probably the main factors limiting songbird populations.
    https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/magpie/effect-on-songbirds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As someone who sent his life in the management of wildlife, I can tell you that removing Magpies from a garden is absolutely pointless. Where there's two Magpies there is bound to be dozens nearby. Other magpies will just fill the void.

And the killing of Magpies, or disturbing nesting, is only permitted under licence and for birds causing agricultural or game problems. You are not permitted to randomly remove them because they wake you up in the morning.

Edit. The comment about their impact on songbird numbers is proven to be a complete myth.

We had a scourge of mags here.

Robbing eggs from chickens and they had small bird population devastated.

We caught a load of them and the problem was sorted.

• Advertisement

As someone who sent his life in the management of wildlife, I can tell you that removing Magpies from a garden is absolutely pointless. Where there's two Magpies there is bound to be dozens nearby. Other magpies will just fill the void.

And the killing of Magpies, or disturbing nesting, is only permitted under licence and for birds causing agricultural or game problems. You are not permitted to randomly remove them because they wake you up in the morning.

Edit. The comment about their impact on songbird numbers is proven to be a complete myth.

That's great and all, but witnessing it first hand is somewhat different to reading it online.

Nobody said you can remove the nest because they are a nuisance to you :rolleyes: Less of the strawman arguments ;)

Removing magpies is not pointless, or are they just not important enough?

It's sad, that in an age of information, people still follow the old ways. Some animals have the misfortune to be labelled as Vermin. This means we can forget that they feel pain & suffer distress. It's also sad that gardeners, most of which appreciate nature, want to cause suffering.

The people that use these methods will always ignore research. Their experience, in their tiny subjective area, will always be more relevant than actual facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's great and all, but witnessing it first hand is somewhat different to reading it online.

Nobody said you can remove the nest because they are a nuisance to you :rolleyes: Less of the strawman arguments ;)

Removing magpies is not pointless, or are they just not important enough?

Hang on. You were the one who said the state allows the destruction of their nests. I qualified that open statement.
    I don't think they are any more or less important than any species and don't get your comment in that regard. The fact remains that removing two from a garden is, without doubt, utterly pointless because two more will replace them within 4 months - fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

When you kill a few magpies and leave the trap visible, I can assure you that you will have no more bother from magpies.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The fact remains that removing two from a garden is, without doubt, utterly pointless because two more will replace them within 4 months - fact.
    That's not strictly true, you get a couple of months without magpies.

Whether that justifies the effort and probable cruelty.....

When you use a trap, you don't create a vacant territory as said above. They could still visit a neighbouring garden. You remove the pests from your immediate area, the other magpies are aware of the danger, and avoid the garden accordingly.

When you use a trap, you don't create a vacant territory as said above. They could still visit a neighbouring garden. You remove the pests from your immediate area, the other magpies are aware of the danger, and avoid the garden accordingly.

Do you go the whole 9 yards & hang the dead birds up to scare the others?

A territory is bigger than a garden. How about the chicks that die of starvation because you have killed the parents?

What about the magpies entering my chicken coop and eating all the eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

A neighbour of mine recently had their hedge trimmed. It exposed two different blackbird's nests. Magpies wiped out both nests and the fledglings that were in them. I've no time for the assholes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Effects wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine recently had their hedge trimmed. It exposed two different blackbird's nests. Magpies wiped out both nests and the fledglings that were in them. I've no time for the assholes now.

Your neighbour is the problem there. Leave hedges alone at this time of year!

• Advertisement

What about the magpies entering my chicken coop and eating all the eggs?

You can't blame wildlife that takes advantage of an easy meal. Just make it more secure.

You don't think that exposing the nest was the problem ? Lots of predators will take advantage which is why it is illegal to cut hedges in the nesting season.

Discodog wrote:
    You can't blame wildlife that takes advantage of an easy meal. Just make it more secure.

The magpie is the only wildlife that tries to take advantage.

I had a word with the gardener when he was back the following day.
    He said the long winter meant things were behind, such as birds leaving the nest.
    Surely that would mean hedges were later in developing too though?

Good news is that one of the identifiable black birds is back in the bush again, starting again.

Lots of predators will take advantage which is why it is illegal to cut hedges in the nesting season.

Is that also the case in the city though?

Won't crows do similar?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

y'wha?

It's sad, that in an age of information, people still follow the old ways. Some animals have the misfortune to be labelled as Vermin. This means we can forget that they feel pain & suffer distress. It's also sad that gardeners, most of which appreciate nature, want to cause suffering.

The people that use these methods will always ignore research. Their experience, in their tiny subjective area, will always be more relevant than actual facts.

You will have to take that up with the state. Vermin need to be controlled. Unfortunately, trapping is the best solution in a built up area.
    Hang on. You were the one who said the state allows the destruction of their nests. I qualified that open statement.
    I don't think they are any more or less important than any species and don't get your comment in that regard. The fact remains that removing two from a garden is, without doubt, utterly pointless because two more will replace them within 4 months - fact.

The key part of the sentence you stated was "making a nuisance". Nobody said they wanted to remove nests because they were making a nuisance. They are important, of course, but should also be controlled.

Removing magpies is not pointless - fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

You can debate the morality of them all you wish but the state allows the killing of magpies and destruction of their nests. Larson traps work wonders in areas where other means of culling is not possible (shooting). If you keep the numbers down you should notice an increase in song birds returning to the area over time. Try a decoy and a recording if you can't get a live call bird. )

Best of luck.

Destroying the nests of magpie and grey grow

Section 22 (4) (e) makes it an offence to wilfully disturb a protected wild bird on or near a nest containing eggs or unflown young. Note that all birds are protected in Ireland under the EU Birds Directive. However, Section 22 (9) (d) states that the Minister may grant a licence to a person to “examine, inspect or take the nest or eggs of protected wild birds of a species so specified for such educational, scientific or other purpose as shall be so specified”.

Therefore, if you wish to remove/destroy the nests of magpies and grey crows, you must apply for a specific licence under Sections 9 and 22 (9) (d) of Wildlife Acts 1976 to 2012. In the licence application, you must state the:

Purpose of licence
    Species Name
    Area(s) in which applicant will operate
    Use of fox/crow callers & crow decoys

Section 35 (1) (d) of the Wildlife Acts 1976 to 2012 states that a person shall not – use an electrical or other instrument or appliance (including recording apparatus) emitting sound, for the purpose of hunting any wild bird or any wild animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

...it is illegal to cut hedges in the nesting season.

I'm not sure this is strictly true. I believe it is illegal to cut hedgerows (i.e. agricultural boundaries) in the nesting season, the restriction doesn't apply to domestic dwellings.

(I may be wrong!)

Advertisement