Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irish bank offers a card with the lowest transaction fees abroad?

• 04-06-2018 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Be they ATM transactions or using it as a Visa card to pay for items etc. What Irish bank offers the best deal for this?

A Charles Schwab checking account in the States offers free ATM access worldwide and no transaction fees. Have we anything close to this here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Be they ATM transactions or using it as a Visa card to pay for items etc. What Irish bank offers the best deal for this?

A Charles Schwab checking account in the States offers free ATM access worldwide and no transaction fees. Have we anything close to this here?

Not sure, but a Revolut card is great (though restricted in value of ATM withdrawals before incurring a fee).
    Otherwise, interbank rates applied, and no fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Revolut - I have used it all over the world.

The only niggle is the €200.00 (anything over incurs a 2% fee) withdrawal limit per month but other than that it’s fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I know it isn't irish, but another vote here for revolut,I'd be lost without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭wonderwall900

Revolut - I have used it all over the world.

The only niggle is the €200.00 (anything over incurs a 2% fee) withdrawal limit per month but other than that it’s fantastic.

Surely if you were traveling abroad, even for a month, you'd spend a lot more than 200 euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I know it isn't irish, but another vote here for revolut,I'd be lost without it.

And another vote for Revolut. I went to the UK for a visit recently and didn't take out any cash. Used revolut all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Surely if you were traveling abroad, even for a month, you'd spend a lot more than 200 euros

You can spend a lot using the card without incurring fees - 6 grand a month I think?

It's just cash withdrawals that attract fees, and all you really need in cash is walking around money..

Revolut is the best bet for POS and withdrawing less than 200 euro per month from ATMs.

From my own looking into it in the past EBS is the cheapest of the normal banks with a 1% fee on ATM withdrawals and debit card transactions rather than the usual 2%+. They also have a lower max charge of 6 euro which is half that of BOI but not sure on some of the other banks.

Depending on the exchange rate this may make the EBS card a little cheaper than Revolut once you exceed 200 euro in ATM withdrawals in a month.
    UsedToWait wrote: »

It's just cash withdrawals that attract fees, and all you really need in cash is walking around money..

If you drinking in pubs card is a bit of a pain so I prefer cash but the biggest issue is taxis. It can be very hit and miss with taxi's accepting card I have found in many different countries and if using them a lot you would go through a decent bit of cash fast enough. I was badly caught on a recent trip abroad where I hadn't had a chance to withdraw cash and took a chance on a taxi taking card. He didnt and only option was for him to pull into a petrol station ATM which I was charged about 6 euro by the machine on top of the card fees which wouldn't have happened at an actual bank operated machine but I didn't know the city so just had to accept the machine the driver stopped at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Advertisement