Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headgear

• 04-06-2018 10:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭

How come members of the defence forces involved in searching for the mobile phone of Cameron Reilly are not wearing headgear? Is a cap not part of the uniform anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

4ensic15 wrote: »
    How come members of the defence forces involved in searching for the mobile phone of Cameron Reilly are not wearing headgear? Is a cap not part of the uniform anymore?

Yes it is.

When engaging in manual tasks such as a search or ATCP troops can be directed to not wear head dress as it is not essential to the task. It's a practical decision, nothing more.

Quite simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Negative_G wrote: »
    Yes it is.

When engaging in manual tasks such as a search or ATCP troops can be directed to not wear head dress as it is not essential to the task. It's a practical decision, nothing more.

Quite simple really.

^^^ This.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I understand flexibility, and the fact that a beret is, generally speaking, an all but useless piece of kit, but how is it impractical/gets in the way and worthy of dispensing with?

I understand flexibility, and the fact that a beret is, generally speaking, an all but useless piece of kit, but how is it impractical/gets in the way and worthy of dispensing with?

What reason would you give to direct soldiers to wear a beret while engaging in manual tasks where head dress might constantly fall off, get snagged in something or just make a person sweat even more than they are already? What purpose does it serve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I despise berets. If I had a choice of time traveling to take out Hitler, or the inventor of the beret, I'd be hard pressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The reason why armies use berets is because they are cheap to make and buy, easy to maintain and easy to replace and some units place a huge amount of pride in them. Apart from berets, the sidecap is about the next best thing.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    The reason why armies use berets is because they are cheap to make and buy, easy to maintain and easy to replace and some units place a huge amount of pride in them. Apart from berets, the sidecap is about the next best thing.

What does this have to do with the OP's question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The beret was mentioned. I don't know why they didn't have head gear, just some local operational order, I guess.

Advertisement