Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with bearings on Dura-Ace C60 wheels

Options
  • 04-06-2018 11:29am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I purchased a set of Dura-Ace C60 clincher wheels in May 2017 from the UK.

I check my bike regularly and always keep it in perfect mechanical working order. I would estimate that these wheels have done under 3,000km. I have not serviced them since I got them (didn't see the need).

Anyway I noticed that the axil was not rotating smoothly on my rear wheel so I disassembled it. As can be seen in the photo below there is considerable damage to the bearing surface on the drive side cone (left cone on axil in photo). Thankfully the bearing surface within the hub itself is perfect. In my opinion this should not have happened. There was no sign of any dirt, grit, other foreign bodies or corrosion within the hub. Everything looked well greased. Seals are undamaged.

So my questions are:

1) What experiences have people had with Dura-Ace hubs in terms of reliability?

2) How have people found Shimano in dealing with returns?

3) Are Shimano likely to say that I should have serviced the hubs and refuse to fix this under warranty? Or say only a "qualified Shimano mechanic" should have disassembled the hub in the first place?

4) I found that a replacement kit (new axil, bearings and cones) would cost me £100. Am I just wasting my time trying to get this covered under warranty? Should I just buy the kit?

Photo of damage to cone

Any input appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Jees that's pretty bad. I'd equate modern hubs and wheels to be maintenance free in terms of bearings and akin to those on cars last many thousand kms. I don't have any experience with Shimano hubs but would have expected pretty high end bearings and seals on Dura-Ace wheels.
    For reference I had a set of Mavic Ksyrium wheels with about 30,000 km on them and never had to go near the bearings. Always running silky smooth before the wheels themselves gave out with worn sidewalls on the braking surface.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

For reference I had a set of Mavic Ksyrium wheels with about 30,000 km on them and never had to go near the bearings. Always running silky smooth before the wheels themselves gave out with worn sidewalls on the braking surface.

That’s funny, I just put on a pair of Ksyrium Elites! Good wheels, no issues so far with about 5,000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The idea with Shimano cup and cone bearings is that they ARE serviceable!

A yearly clean and re-grease should mean they last longer than even sealed bearings. I failed to service my Ultegra wheelset for 3 years before they felt rough and ultimately I had to replace the hub axle assembly.

That being said, your wheels are barely a year old and have showed signs of heavy wear. Did you use them through the winter? Even if so, I'm at a loss to know why they wore so quickly. I got three winters out of my rear hub before it went.

You could say to Shimano that you went to service the wheels and noticed the pitting on the hub axle. Explain that you expected a year of use before servicing. The least they could do is replace it for free. They might even replace the wheel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

velo.2010 wrote: »
    The idea with Shimano cup and cone bearings is that they ARE serviceable!

My thoughts exactly.
    That being said, your wheels are barely a year old and have showed signs of heavy wear

....and let’s be honest, low mileage. They look like new.
    Did you use them through the winter? Even if so, I'm at a loss to know why they wore so quickly. I got three winters out of my rear hub before it went.

Maybe 3 times, dry conditions only.
    You could say to Shimano that you went to service the wheels and noticed the pitting on the hub axle. Explain that you expected a year of use before servicing. The least they could do is replace it for free. They might even replace the wheel.

I genuinely look after stuff. My 10 speed Ultegra groupset is 6 years old and is still perfect.
    I was actually going to service both wheels soon anyway. I actually bought these particular wheels even though they are a bit heavier as they are supposedly more durable for the bumpy Wicklow roads.

Update for those interested in how well Shimano's warranty stands up when put to the test:

No argument whatsoever, Shimano have agreed to send me a brand new wheel (Dura-Ace C60).

• Advertisement
Advertisement