Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any thoughts on evolution fury chop saw as per links below

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I have the earlier version of the saw.It works but cutting metal with a carbide blade makes an awful racket. The saw runs more slowly that a regular chop saw so cutting wood is a bit slow as well.lI think you would be better to get a regular miter saw and a disc cutter for metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for feedback, I agree with your sentiments, also looked at it in person y/day and it fails the test of an easily foldable base and also does not have a system to cut repeated lengths, plus I have a metal chop saw already.
    So: any suggestions?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Prob a double the budget of the previous saw but a good one

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-dws773-lx-216mm-single-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-110v.html

Available in 240v also.
    Or a similar Makita
    Life time saws.

Prob a double the budget of the previous saw but a good one

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-dws773-lx-216mm-single-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-110v.html

Available in 240v also.
    Or a similar Makita
    Life time saws.

Thanks, any thoughts on one that can have the kit to do repeat cuts same length, brain gone dead, can't think of the name :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Thanks, any thoughts on one that can have the kit to do repeat cuts same length, brain gone dead, can't think of the name :(

You'll likely need to add a stand to get the added repeat cut stops over a useable range.

• Advertisement

Tbh I'm a carpenter with the big dewalt 305mm version with the stand and adjustable stop ends but if I'm looking for accuracy I'll generally always clamp/screw/fix a scarfical fence to the saw with a stop end fixed to that say for stair balustrades and the like. The stand stop ends are grand for roughing out say +- 3mm. The scarfical fence gives zero clearance of the saw blade which is great for working with short pieces

BD, any pics of the fence?
    Am a bit puzzled as I want to cut stuff maybe 2m long
    The DW c/w the stand and repetitive stop is north of 600 euro plus VAT :(

I've no pics at the moment I usually just make each one up to suit which ever job it requires at the time out of off cut ply/mdf 2x1 and the like.
    For 2m lengths I think been the factory stand would be at it's limit to handle that .
    Basically for 2m lengths
    Id use an 8ft x 12 inch length of 3/4ply with a 3x2 screwd to the top as a back fence . Fixt this to the saw using screws or clamps then just clamp a stop to the ply at 2m from the blade .
    Once you do it once you'll customise it to suit a load of other applications.

Advertisement