Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stick with 6S or upgrade to 7

Options
  • 04-06-2018 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

My network are offering me a upgrade from the 6S to 7 for free. I'm out of contract and went to PAYG but they said I'd get a 7 for free and the same plan I was on, is the 7 better than the 6s or is it such a small difference that i wouldn't really notice it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

It’s a very small increase.

Buy a new battery for €30 at compub or I connect and save yourself having to go back on a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I wouldn’t even upgrade my 6S for an 8 let alone a 7. There has been so little development between the last few phones that it’s titally not worth it. I’ll condiser the 9 when it comes out but may even wait for the 9S but for now I’m hanging on to my 6S and staying out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What do you guys usually do when your phone is now out of contract (if not upgrading)? I assume it's madness to keep paying the usual monthly rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

callaway92 wrote: »
    What do you guys usually do when your phone is now out of contract (if not upgrading)? I assume it's madness to keep paying the usual monthly rate?

I switch to pay as you go.

I am now back in contract after being on PAYG.

There is a massive fear of contracts here as people seem to think they're being ripped off.

I'm always switching between PAYG and contracts. I usually get three years out of a phone so that the upgrade is notable and then a contract is fine. I normally end up getting the same package as I would on PAYG and the extra charge being the purchase price of the phone spread over 2 years.

I don't see the problem with being in a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Call me old fashioned but I'm really having trouble with the no headphone socket thing. Not only would it be a pain in the proverbial to have yet another yoke that needs charging every other day (the headphones), but also having the phone's bluetooth on all the time is such a battery drain. And yes I know there are adapters but again PITA and I also listen to the music while I charge quite a bit so thats a special (second) adapter required. Apple are becoming a massive PITA instead of just making what people want and need. Same with their macbooks. Why in the name of love would you make a €1500 supposedly 'professional' laptop without an ethernet port?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I'm going to stick with 6s as it's working perfectly, I could have gone for the 8 but have to pay an upfront payment and the X well I just don't like it, a friend of mine has it and that notch thing at the top would drive me crazy and no home button. We'll wait and see what's next and with the androids passing out Apple it just might be time to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

200motels wrote: »
    I'm going to stick with 6s as it's working perfectly, I could have gone for the 8 but have to pay an upfront payment and the X well I just don't like it, a friend of mine has it and that notch thing at the top would drive me crazy and no home button. We'll wait and see what's next and with the androids passing out Apple it just might be time to switch.

I'm not trying to convince you to get an X have an 8 myself but I just find the "no home button" on the X to be a strange criticism.

Why would you expect or want one on an all screen phone and it has been replaced by simple gestures?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

....but also having the phone's bluetooth on all the time is such a battery drain.

Bluetooth being on all day is a very slight drain on the battery. Mine is on all the time so that when I get into the car it auto-connects to the headunit and battery usage isn’t any more noticeable than when it’s off all day.
    callaway92 wrote: »

Im still paying the same tariff. My monthly bill is always around €34-36 and that’s with all you can eat data, 350 flexi units (which I rarely if ever have gone over) and so switching to PAYG is of absolutely no benefit to me as it would probably end up costing as much due to excessive data usage as I stream music and tether to the cars android headunit regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Call me old fashioned but I'm really having trouble with the no headphone socket thing. Not only would it be a pain in the proverbial to have yet another yoke that needs charging every other day (the headphones), but also having the phone's bluetooth on all the time is such a battery drain. And yes I know there are adapters but again PITA and I also listen to the music while I charge quite a bit so thats a special (second) adapter required. Apple are becoming a massive PITA instead of just making what people want and need. Same with their macbooks. Why in the name of love would you make a €1500 supposedly 'professional' laptop without an ethernet port?
    On the MacBooks none of the top devices(higher spec machines) have Ethernet anymore... Lenovo,hps and Dells

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

No difference

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

shanec1928 wrote: »
    On the MacBooks none of the top devices(higher spec machines) have Ethernet anymore... Lenovo,hps and Dells
    Apple took it to a whole new level with Macbooks though, losing all USB slots, SD Card, Thunderbolt, MagSafe and 3.5" headphone ports. They don't even give you a lightening port as a replacement. Just USB-C ports and the option to buy new dongles at Apple prices.

Re the OP question - 6S to 7 is a totally lame offer to get you onto a new contract. There'll be better offers in the Autumn when the next models come out.

Advertisement