Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCleaner sudddenly complaining about Microsoft Edge

Options
  • 04-06-2018 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭

Ran CCleaner on my Win10 laptop today, it told me that MS Edge was running and did I want to close it - this is required (also applies to Firefox) so that it can clean up the cache. I hadn't run Edge since booting so this was news to me.

I don't use MS Edge unless some MS program opens it. I checked in Task Manager and discovered that there are five Edge subtasks running in the background. CCleaner attempts to close Edge but says it can't close it and asks permission to force it closed.

For those with long memories, this looks like a repeat of the same stunt that MS pulled during the battle between Office and Lotus SMartSuite. Without the user's knowledge, Windows used to preload a pile of Office tasks into memory so that when the user double-clicked on Word or Excel, it opened way faster than Lotus - at the expense of a heap of memory being used for an application you may or may not use during this session.

Can I stop MS Edge loading in the background?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiJorhrv-Ig

Seems like it loads a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

beauf wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiJorhrv-Ig

Seems like it loads a lot of stuff.

+1 cheers.

This only started today so I don't understand why CCleaner didn't have a problem with Edge running in the background up to now.

To spare other posters the commentary in that video which is a simulated (Stephen Hawking) voice, you go into settings, privacy, background apps and then unclick the apps you want to stop running in the background.

Advertisement