Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home electricity monitor

Options
  • 04-06-2018 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have been looking around for home energy monitoring systems, to better monitor energy usage in the home. Is there such a system which would allow you to plug a module into your fuseboard and then tell you exactly how much electricity is being drawn by lights, sockets, washing machines etc..

I have seen some websites featuring these kinds of systems, which usually come with an app or computer interface. Some report to be able distinguish between different appliances directly from the fusebox. Has anyone any experience of such a system in Ireland?

The alternative would be to use one of those socket monitors, but it would only be useful really for estimating a couple of things like TVs and computers.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ESB have an appliance calculator online. This will give you a pretty good idea of what is costing you money.

My friend fell into financial trouble 10 years ago. He fell behind on everything inc electric and gas. Both companies installed smart meters at their own expense. These aren't like the smart meters commercially available where they charge a euro per day standing charge. He just pays the market rate. Back when he owed them 1000s twenty five percent of what he topped up with came off arrears. Really a great idea. Anyway he can tell you exactly what everything costs. He runs out of credit. Tops up 5 euro & turns the immersion on on its own. Smart meter tells him how much credit he has left. He finished playing with it years ago but I believe he has the best set up to truly see what everything costs

Advertisement