Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI Glen Marnoch Single Malt Whisky

• 04-06-2018 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭

ALDI have "Glen Marnoch" Single Malt Whisky on special for Father's Day at €25.

It comes in Speyside, Islay and Highland varieties as "Glen Marnoch" seems like a branding name rather than actual distillery...

From what I can gather online it's part of their regular range in the UK, has anyone tasted any of them? I was thinking of picking up a Speyside bottle.

Would have been ideal in a mini set with one of each perhaps.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

odyssey06 wrote: »
    "Glen Marnoch" seems like a branding name rather than actual distillery...
    Very unusual to see a fictional placename on a scotch whisky label. I think Aldi is close to breaking the law on this one.
    Single Malt Scotch Whisky and Single Grain Scotch Whisky must not be labelled, packaged, advertised or promoted in any way that, having regard to the presentation of the product as a whole, creates a likelihood that the public may think that the whisky was distilled by any person other than the person who distilled it, or the owner or operator of the distillery at which it was distilled, whether by an indication that that person is the distiller, the owner or operator of the distillery, or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They seem to have been using the "Glen Marnoch" term as a white label for a few years now, as well as "Glen Orrin".
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/aldi-whisky-scoops-top-prize-5805375

I wonder if the reason there's been no objections lodged under the regulations is that the likeliest objectors are involved in supplying ALDI...

Probably the regulations were more intended to prevent someone passing off their whisky as someone else's, rather than obscuring the origins of a whisky no one would confuse would another brand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Well, there is the established tradition of using personal names rather than places for blends - Johnnie Walker, Bell's, Teacher's etc. To look classy you have to have a placename and I'm surprised to see that subverted here.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Well, there is the established tradition of using personal names rather than places for blends - Johnnie Walker, Bell's, Teacher's etc. To look classy you have to have a placename and I'm surprised to see that subverted here.

Yes now that you mention it, a lot of the supermarket labels are vague such as Tesco Scots Club, ALDI's Highland Black, and LIDL's Queen Margot.

I guess I better move quick on Thursday then before someone lodges a complaint!

So a little disappointed with this one. Reminded me strongly of famous grouse which is nice enough for a blended whisky but I expected more from a single malt.

Still a lot on the shelves so I need not have rushed to buy. Only the speyside though as far as I can tell the islay and highland never came in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It recently won a gold medal from the Scotch whisky Masters...

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/aldi-whiskey-629612

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

r3nu4l wrote: »
    It recently won a gold medal from the Scotch whisky Masters...

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/aldi-whiskey-629612

That's the Highland Black 8yo blend, different from the Glen Marnoch range. I DM'd Aldi on Twitter last week and they'd no idea why the Islay and Highland varients never came in.

The Highland Black is a better whiskey than the GM Speyside,I found the Speyside a bit thin and watery and lacking in flavour tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BeerNut wrote: »
    Well, there is the established tradition of using personal names rather than places for blends - Johnnie Walker, Bell's, Teacher's etc.

Ugh that reminds me of a good number of years ago when I got a "great offer" in Tesco on a couple of bottles of Teacher's. God-awful stuff.

Scrap the cap!

Ugh that reminds me of a good number of years ago when I got a "great offer" in Tesco on a couple of bottles of Teacher's. God-awful stuff.

I've read that a lot of those famous brands such as Teacher's & Bell's and so on used to be much better back in the 80s - tha't's before my drinking time so I can't comment on its accuracy. But the brands have been somewhat let run down of late and not much point paying a premium for them over supermarket white labels.
    Famous Grouse does seem to be trying to revitalise itself with things like Naked Grouse etc so it's not moribund.

If you are bargain hunting in Tesco again there is their own brand Scots Club for something like €13 a bottle... I haven't taken the plunge yet for it but one day when I need to make up €50 shop for a voucher I might get it as a 'freebie'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Naked Grouse and the other airport one (Dark Grouse?) are actually decent.

Vat 69 was another generic blend, all inanely popular in the 80s

• Advertisement
Advertisement