Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the move to open source books

Options
  • 04-06-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

hi and a happy summer to all, just looking for feedback and discussion for a summer idea, I am working on

the pitch

What if we were to move to fully open sourced books?
    The new cs programme has a bunch of teachers working together on an opensource book and i think it is a great idea, (head over to cesi to find out more) but why not use this model for more books?

teachers are always developing resources for there students on a class basis so you would you participate and share.

the cstai has a google drive full of computer resources from different countries for cs teachers to share and use, there are 400 teachers using these resources, this was done by 1 very resourceful teacher and for for zero cost.

the opensource software movement is helped with github, a website where you write software and publish it and you give permission to others to download and try your software, they must acknowledge your work and then may add pieces to improve it.. and make it better so all can benefit.

So what if a group of teachers were to put up a website for opensource books for the irish jc and lc ..and maybe qqi modules aswell .....would you help out?

the model works because people share ideas and resources.

the book companies would not be happy but the students and parents would thank you .
    what are the next steps ...feedback.....can you point out the pit falls?
    would you agree to go to a meetup to discuss the idea further? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

hi and a happy summer to all, just looking for feedback and discussion for a summer idea, I am working on

the pitch

What if we were to move to fully open sourced books?
    The new cs programme has a bunch of teachers working together on an opensource book and i think it is a great idea, (head over to cesi to find out more) but why not use this model for more books?

teachers are always developing resources for there students on a class basis so you would you participate and share.

the cstai has a google drive full of computer resources from different countries for cs teachers to share and use, there are 400 teachers using these resources, this was done by 1 very resourceful teacher and for for zero cost.

the opensource software movement is helped with github, a website where you write software and publish it and you give permission to others to download and try your software, they must acknowledge your work and then may add pieces to improve it.. and make it better so all can benefit.

So what if a group of teachers were to put up a website for opensource books for the irish jc and lc ..and maybe qqi modules aswell .....would you help out?

the model works because people share ideas and resources.

the book companies would not be happy but the students and parents would thank you .
    what are the next steps ...feedback.....can you point out the pit falls?
    would you agree to go to a meetup to discuss the idea further? :)

This is a good idea but there are two downfalls I can see:
    1. This is Ireland and nobody will share resources. I've worked with some people who will give you everything that they have and others who will nearly knock you if their work is at/on/beside the photocopier and you're in the vicinity and might take a look. It was trialed on a website in Ireland (I can't think of the name of it now) and there were very few resources uploaded.
    It takes time to develop resources and sharing to someone who could possibly use it in an inspection would probably discourage the developer as they would not get any credit for it.

I remember when I did my dip, I used TES a lot but have not used lately and the last time that I used it, the majority of resources now had a charge. So even England is tightening up on sharing resources.

2. Every student does not learn the same - hence the reason teachers develop materials that are suitable for their own classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Scoilnet !
    You can search by subject and topic (some subjects are divided by learning outcomes for new JC).
    You can also log in and upload resources.

Scoilnet !
    You can search by subject and topic (some subjects are divided by learning outcomes for new JC).
    You can also log in and upload resources.

Yes that's the one. Anytime I look at it, there's nothing I could use. I don't see many new resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yes that's the one. Anytime I look at it, there's nothing I could use. I don't see many new resources.

I'd like to add in stuff but haven't got around it. Some teachers put up suggested lessons (very brief) and that's nearly as good as a very long but mediocre PowerPoint!

TES is just too much to navigate for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

If you are good at something never do it for free! why in good God would you just give away your knowledge base for free?

Teachers are dead right not to give free time to these ventures. As a matter of fact it should be done like you tube, that being that if your notes are downloaded , you should revive a nominal fee. This was always the problem with teaching......everybody wants you and your time and your knowledge for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Op, your idea is excellent but why for free?

I'd like to add in stuff but haven't got around it. Some teachers put up suggested lessons (very brief) and that's nearly as good as a very long but mediocre PowerPoint!

TES is just too much to navigate for me.

Yeah I don't use TES anymore - it was very user friendly in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

It's a great idea.

Advertisement