Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl records have come back - will cassette tapes ever make a return?

• 04-06-2018 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

Hello.
    I was in a music shop there earlier today and as we all know the physical media market for music has contracted dramatically in recent times due to people sourcing their music via internet, iTunes, Spotify, etc, but a smaller number of physical media shops persist to service those people who prefer, for whatever reason, to have a physical form of their music be out CD, record or whatever.

I noticed in the shop, and others over the past few years, that the CD stock is nearly matched by the stock of vinyl records which is great to see.
    So from probably the vinyl record was king for decades, then probably in the 70s cassette tapes became popular followed by cd which became popular in the late 80s and largely sufficed displaced vinyl and cassette altogether.
    Cd never fully disappeared, it hung in there always despite internet music.

I assume it's due to the nostalgia and reputed sound quality factors that vinyl has become popular again but as for the other great medium of times past, the cassette tape, will we ever see these again on music shop shelves? It's there any nostalgia or quality factors attached to tape that could see them make even a limited appearance on shelves ever again? Or is the tape now fully extinct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

It's there any nostalgia or quality factors attached to tape that could see them make even a limited appearance on shelves ever again? Or is the tape now fully extinct?

Probably not likely in a bricks and mortar, but some bands on bandcamp will issue their album on a cassette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Tape was sh1te, it was just for portable music

24bit Vinyl Flac is where its at, if you don't have a record player

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Cassettes? Some recent releases have been on 8 Track .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Vinyl never really disappeared either. It was always available, but usually in selected stores etc.
    DJ's and collectors kept it going mainly. I think it is more popular as opposed to a revival, but doubt cassettes will become as popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I will be getting a new stereo system soon. Going to pick up a record player, receiver, cd player and probably a tape deck. You can get a 2nd hand deck fairly cheap. Tapes can actually sound pretty good if the cassette is in good nick with a high quality deck.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    I will be getting a new stereo system soon. Going to pick up a record player, receiver, cd player and probably a tape deck. You can get a 2nd hand deck fairly cheap. Tapes can actually sound pretty good if the cassette is in good nick with a high quality deck.

I buy a few tapes from Discogs. Mainly magazine cover stuff.
    I used to have all of the ones I have bought so far and lost them all to uncontrollable circumstances.
    Been buying them back and transferring them over to flac. Slow process.

But very enjoyable :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you were into collecting "boots" it was usually always cassette. I know I gave most of mine away, think I may still have few old Bowie ones in a box somewhere. As for a revival of cassettes, I don't think that there will be as big as interest as there now is with vinyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

They will if the marketing men think they can convince us into believing they sound better than the current medium.

This is what they did for vinyl. Aparantly most vinyl recorded today is just taken straight from the digital copy and put on the vinyl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

They will if the marketing men think they can convince us into believing they sound better than the current medium.

This is what they did for vinyl. Aparantly most vinyl recorded today is just taken straight from the digital copy and put on the vinyl.

Some people, myself included, never stopped buying vinyl albums, albeit in limited numbers.
    It nice to see the comeback, but with reservations, especially to do with pricing.
    Regarding sound production, it really depends on what you are buying, but the concept of digital to vinyl is nothing very new.
    I have just been playing Ry Cooder's 1979 Bop Till You Drop, which was the very first vinyl album to be digitally recorded before it was converted to wax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Tapes are generally unreliable so no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Tapes have made a limited comeback, but I think it will be very niche.

I've bought a few new albums/e.p.'s on tape over the last couple of years.
    There's a bit of the punk/diy ethos about it, I think.
    The last cassette album I bought was from a German ambient electronic artist - he records straight to tape, so it's all lo-fi, analog, and homemade.

I know of bands who sell tapes at their gigs, with download codes included. People get to go home with something physical, rather than just a qr code/slip of paper. I'm sure a lot of them never even listen to the tape, but a small minority will.

I think the next trend - and it's happening already - will be a backlash to over-priced records, and a return to CDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Other than this...

http://www.walkman-archive.com/wa/project/guardians-of-the-galaxy-cassette-replica/

Lots of tape stuff here too http://www.techmoan.com

I switched from early cds back to cassettes because the quality of the mixing on CDs was abysmal and so were some of the portable cd players. They stopped making them for sound quality. I eventually switched to mini disc then hiMD then to MP3 and now I just use streaming.

The new digital formats are just vastly more convenient and the sound quality can be just as good if not better if you know what you are doing. Also are living spaces are shrinking and we travel a lot more and move around a lot more. So we don't have the space for the old formats.

beauf wrote: »
    now I just use streaming.

The new digital formats are just vastly more convenient and the sound quality can be just as good if not better if you know what you are doing. Also are living spaces are shrinking and we travel a lot more and move around a lot more. So we don't have the space for the old formats.

Sorted. :)
    BoCyD0s.jpg?1

The difference with cassette and non streaming i find, is that there is a hell of a lot more stuff available on cassette.
    As somebody mentioned, bootlegs, rare recordings, etc.

Streaming doesn't have a lot of stuff that I listen to, and probably never will. A lot of stuff has also been recorded on to cassette from the 70's to 90's and much of it still not converted to any other format yet, or very hard to get.
    I doubt cassette will ever have much of a revival though.
    Except for maybe old spectrum 48k's or commodore 64's :D

I noticed that the sound quality was better in some of my audio cassette was better than some of the CDs I had. Assume because of mastering and analog etc. Noisy as heck for sure.

But over time the cassettes degrade, I transferred the best of mine to MP3, then ditched the rest. I still have a decent quality deck, but it would need the belts done to be usable now.

I found most of my obscure music on streaming. I was never a big fan of bootlegs or gigs. The quality of those was often abysmal. Sometimes your get a version of live song or gig thats just blows the studio stuff away. That's true. You tube is my new source for that and finding new bands.

Wheety wrote: »

Techmoan has reviewed some of these before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Suckit wrote: »
    Except for maybe old spectrum 48k's or commodore 64's :D

Full circle.. I am old enough to have loaded games from vinyl, into a ZX Spectrum, one concerning a text adventure to do with the band, The Thompson Twins.. :o

I miss my Aiwa 202..

aiwa202.jpg

Technomoans channel is great, I follow it. Another couple of good channels for cassette videos are

vwestlife and databits

I dont think cassettes will take off again like vinyl, not for general music listeners anyway, it is more for hobbyists and enthusiasts, probably more so than vinyl. I plan to pick up a quality deck soon and give my old tapes a go.

Techmoan has reviewed some of these before.

The 8-bit Guy also, if it is the one that can record to .mp3. The review is bad..

The problem is, no one is making decent tape heads anymore, it is all generic Chinese non brands. The industry backing just isn't there, same for new, reliable, branded, Chrome and Metal tapes.. rare as hen's teeth.

I found most of my obscure music on streaming. I was never a big fan of bootlegs or gigs. The quality of those was often abysmal. Sometimes your get a version of live song or gig thats just blows the studio stuff away. That's true. You tube is my new source for that and finding new bands.
    Live bootlegs depending on where recorded (and equipment used) can be very good, as can the studio bootlegs.
    There are also some sessions (usually spontaneous or outdoor), pirate radio and rare recordings etc.
    Admittedly quality isn't always great but it may be the only version or only recording of some stuff in existence.
    Not all of it is up on youtube yet fortunately/unfortunately. I prefer it untouched, but sometimes the uploader has messed around with it :(.
    Most of it available on forums anyway.
    Plenty of places to find new stuff now, but finding the old stuff is often harder.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I miss my Aiwa 202..

aiwa202.jpg

I didn't even know it was possible to load from vinyl :eek::)

I remember those AIWA though. I was hoping there was one in the attic when we cleared it out, but if there was, it was snagged by someone else. I got two Sony walkmans. :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

How will hipsters fit the tapes into their skinny jeans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

How will hipsters fit the tapes into their skinny jeans?

Sure those new I-phones are bigger than an 8-track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭dasdog

Amalgam wrote: »
    Full circle.. I am old enough to have loaded games from vinyl, into a ZX Spectrum, one concerning a text adventure to do with the band, The Thompson Twins.. :o

I think 2FM or whatever incarnation it was at the time broadcast a spectrum game that you were supposed to record to tape and load. Reasonably innovative actually. Pretty sure the final production of Michael Jackson's Thriller was mixed down on a cassette. Great sounding format but as has been eluded to it loses quality over time and is generally a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The return in popularity of vinyl over the past 10 years was more of a counter-reaction to the increasing digitialisation of music. Streaming in particular. Early on, people wanted something more tangible, collectible, and in the right conditions - better sound quality. Now we have over-priced albums, and cheap record players in Lidl..

There has been an increase in artists releasing music on cassette in recent years but mainly on smaller niche labels. These are collectors items more than anything else and will never make a mainstream return.

I'm just old enough to remember what cassettes were like in the late 90's. One of the best birthday presents I ever got was a Philips personal CD player for my 12th birthday. I embraced CDs and never looked back. I never missed having to put up with the pain of tapes wearing and tearing.

I'm just old enough to remember what cassettes were like in the late 90's. One of the best birthday presents I ever got was a Philips personal CD player for my 12th birthday. I embraced CDs and never looked back. I never missed having to put up with the pain of tapes wearing and tearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I had decks twenty years ago and a load of vinyl as a result - mostly house, jungle and trance. I pulled down one of them a couple of months ago and started buying up my favourite albums from over the years through Discogs and reissues. I listen to a lot of music in the background through the day, streaming with Apple Music but I'm digging sticking on an album in the evenings. It gives a different listening experience for me and I'll tend to sit down and listen to the whole album.

Tapes were always crap though.

Some of the most expensive separates for sale in the Dublin Virgin Megastore were tape decks. Nakamichi tape decks. About £2000 and up, as far as I can remember, up the escalators and to your left, against the wall.

I distinctly remember the Dragon being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CaptainPants

Tapes are making a comeback in some hipster circles, as a way of circumventing the devaluing of music caused by streaming etc - i.e. "There's only 100 copies of this album in existence' and they are on cassette , so thats the only way you can hear them, which I can see the value of.

Personally, I think well maintained metal tapes can be better quality than actually existing vinyl - I find pops, clicks, skips, surface noise and rumble more intrusive than a slight background hiss. I got into vinyl last year again after many years , with a pretty nice Pro-ject turntable and was dissappointed to find that the second hand vinyl in most shops is mostly covered in pops clicks and surface noise, and the new stuff costs as months as 3 months of Spotify. So its kind of a catch 22.

Id like to see a new analog format invented though - say something that works by reading a metal disc with a laser or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Id like to see a new analog format invented though - say something that works by reading a metal disc with a laser or something.

There are analog hard disks out there. They exist but they would be rare and only used for specific niche applications.

• Advertisement

Some enthusiasts used to or maybe still do use video tape for audio recordings, apparently some VCRs gave excellent or better sound reproduction.

Advertisement