Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl records have come back - will cassette tapes ever make a return?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Id like to see a new analog format invented though - say something that works by reading a metal disc with a laser or something.

But that just amounts to a glorified cd.

Ultimate Analogue anyone? :)

High End Munich 2018 – The Ultimate In Analog Music Is Back

ballfinger-m063_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CaptainPants

No, I mean a disc that contains hills and valleys to represent an analog waveform which is read by a laser - so similar to a vinyl record, but there would be no rumble/clicks/surface noise. It not going to happen obviously, as most people wouldnt care enough for it to be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

No, I mean a disc that contains hills and valleys to represent an analog waveform which is read by a laser - so similar to a vinyl record, but there would be no rumble/clicks/surface noise. It not going to happen obviously, as most people wouldnt care enough for it to be worth it.

Do you mean something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Can't see cassettes making a comeback.times have moved on for the youth in particular

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Xenji wrote: »
    Cassettes? Some recent releases have been on 8 Track .

Meh! Wax cylinders is where it's at.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The question that springs to mind is why?

Arghus wrote: »
    Because she can, I guess.

I still don't like her music.

I came across this today, You can use google or yandex to translate

The 12 most expensive cassette decks
    https://www.hi-fi.ru/magazine/audio/12-cassette-deck/
    Translated version - https://bit.ly/2KSW83q
    and
    The 10 most bizarre boomoxes (a few with cassette decks)
    https://www.hi-fi.ru/magazine/audio/10-strannykh-bumboksov
    Translated version - https://bit.ly/2u28E6Y

Some of them do look amazing.. :)
    I read around and it seems that there is already the beginning of a decent revival

Aesthetically, I like them a lot. I couldn't afford any of those on the expensive list though.

The JVC 3090 :D

The Panasonic RX-CT810 (that link is an expensive example) seems to be one that many are able to buy and are modding it. But I don't get it, as they are removing one of the decks, and adding this Bluetooth Module.
    I mean I get that they are doing it for aesthetics, and as I type this I just copped that only one deck is needed..:o Still though, It seems a bit of a shame unless it's reversable.

Modded - https://i.imgur.com/GXp3Xj5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Arghus wrote: »

None more hipster.

"You like vinyl? Well get a load of me!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Kolido wrote: »
    Some enthusiasts used to or maybe still do use video tape for audio recordings, apparently some VCRs gave excellent or better sound reproduction.

That!
    Vinyl is OK, cassettes are sh*te and reel to reel is fantastic.
    But a good nicam VCR that records the sound via rotating heads (NOT linear!) stuffs the lot for sound quality. Well, all but some exotic reel to reels that will cost well into a few thousands.
    I need to dig out specs, but frequency response, noise floor, dynamic range and wow and flutter would be equal to some of the most expensive reel to reel machines and cassettes have been left for dust many light years back.
    Getting a second hand VCR could be the cheapest way to get a tape recorder with unbeatable quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

As for cassette tapes. With the right source, amp, super-high quality deck, metal tapes, HX Pro, cassettes can sound quit OK.
    Of course that would be a setup that is exotic, costs thousands and the tapes won't play in anything that can't handle metal and HX Pro.
    Which is nowhere.
    For that money and impracticability you might as well get a reel to reel that has proper quality.
    Or a VCR for a fraction of the cost and quality that beats both.

Also, new cassette decks are mostly sh*t. There is no nice way of saying it. The equivalent of a crosley cruiser. They have no Dolby and the tapes are all FE. They're a novelty at best.
    The only way is vintage.

Now, I propose a different way altogether.
    Personally I had reel to reel, cassette and VCR for audio recording.
    In the end I turned everything digital.
    You need a decent HiFi setup, a good soundcard and something like Adobe Audition. Or in my case Cool Edit. Audition is Cool Edit anyway with a few gigs of Adobe bloatware added on.
    You can record in quite high quality, higher than CD and save as wav or flac.
    And encode as mp3 for the car.
    I have a huge library of vinyl ripped to wav and mp3. It beats the sh*t out of any analog magnetic tape recording system or any physical medium.
    I've been recording this way since the early 2000's. And it's great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I vaguely remember audio cassettes, I remember sitting by a big radio around 2000 as an 8 year old waiting for Anastasia songs to come on so I could record them, that was because I had older siblings who had tapes lying around the house,I wonder would a 1992 birth who didn't have older siblings remember them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

In 1988 for every six new albums sold, four were on cassette. One each for LP and CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

http://www.thejournal.ie/golden-discs-profit-2017-4134867-Jul2018/

I can't see cassettes coming back. Mini disc was a better cassette like format.

beauf wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/golden-discs-profit-2017-4134867-Jul2018/

I can't see cassettes coming back. Mini disc was a better cassette like format.

I was with you.
    But I can see it happening.. I don't know if it is hipsters, collectors, or a lot of a generation deciding they like it. I can see why it might be collectors, in relation to timing though.

But it does seem to be growing. I haven't read that article yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭bullpost

Tower Dublin now selling Cassette decks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭emo72

Are blank cassettes still being made? C90s ?

emo72 wrote: »
    Are blank cassettes still being made? C90s ?

See image above -yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

bullpost wrote: »

Saw a review on those, weren't great. If you want a proper deck you'd be better picking up a 2nd hand one, something made in the 80's-mid 90's

May need to service it a bit but will sound much better.

They're already quite big in Germany again too, albeit to a specific market.

TEAC system in "excellent condition" was on FTI yesterday for collection. Whoever got it probably plans on selling it for a bit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Five hundred quid?!? I'm glad I kept my whole Sony hi-fi from the '80s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

God almighty. I'm glad that I have an old Phillips Turntable which has a cassette deck in it which was given from my uncle a few years back. I would not pay an extortionate amount of €449 for owning a C90.

bullpost wrote: »
    €449? Pssshh. I'll sell you my JVC deck for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

449 Euro?

But April 1st isn't for months yet!

€449? Pssshh. I'll sell you my JVC deck for a tenner.

But they come with a free pencil and roll of sellotape :D

Advertisement