Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallow Rd new speed limit

Options
  • 04-06-2018 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭

I see months of work starting on mallow Road and new limit of 60. However I spotted speed vans today on road inside this new limit. So is it easy catches or are they still looking for 100+?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johncmurphy

Prob shooting fish in a barrel. Only reason I noticed the change is I saw one of the road workers change the sign the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

What section of road?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

From blarney business park til rathduff, its a long section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

This temporary I assume, only while they do whatever roadworks they're at? That's a REALLY long section to be going at such a slow speed.

What are they actually doing, by the way? It looks like they've been doing nothing but put down and take up cones for the last 5 days. I saw a worker this morning on my way to Mallow sat down on the grass with his back to one of the new signs, looks like he was taking a nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I saw the signs going up on Sunday so I stayed pinned to the 60 km/h this morning. Had plenty of flashes from cars behind and a few angry beeps on the climbing lanes. I have no sympathy for anyone caught by a speed van on that road now as on top of the regular speed signs, there are about 4/5 orange signs announcing the new limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CianDon wrote: »
    I saw the signs going up on Sunday so I stayed pinned to the 60 km/h this morning. Had plenty of flashes from cars behind and a few angry beeps on the climbing lanes.

Were you out in the overtaking lane when people were getting angry with you?
    Overtaking someone going less than 60km/h, I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yeah, saw lads "moving cones" on Friday evening.... After sitting in stopped traffic for ages..
    To be fair I think they were surveying, getting levels ect... Which I wouldn't do on a road like that without the traffic being stopped..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Maybe they're finally going to get rid of those stupidly dangerous bars and metal ropes down the middle of the road.

Stupid feckin design and insanely unsafe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Maybe they're finally going to get rid of those stupidly dangerous bars and metal ropes down the middle of the road.

You're a biker, I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sonics2k wrote: »

They are not stupid...

If they seem dangerous, people tend to drive slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You're a biker, I take it?

I am indeed, and not one at all for driving very fast. But one bad slip along there, especially in bad weather and it will absolutely not end well.
    grogi wrote: »
    They are not stupid...

A Garda was already nearly killed along there thanks to those ropes

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/garda-seriously-injured-after-patrol-11291803

A number of motorcyclists in Cork have been saying how dangerous that roping can be if a biker hits off of it.

It does nothing at all to deter speeding along there. Just last Sunday driving along there in my car some gob****e in a BMW SUV was trying to overtake me along the single lane part as I was doing 100km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

grogi wrote: »
    They are not stupid...

Those cheese wires are insanely dangerous and are there as they are much cheaper than concrete.

They shouldn’t be allowed anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Were you out in the overtaking lane when people were getting angry with you?
    Overtaking someone going less than 60km/h, I assume?

No, as I'm not an ignorant prick. I stayed at the 60 limit along the single lane stretches, and kindly moved out of the way during the two lane section to receive abuse. Most forget how often the speed vans sit right around the corner from where most of these climbing lanes end. People can be awful drivers on that road. I take the same approach sticking at the 100 km/hr and got undertaken last week on the single lane part by a Silver Passat

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This reduced speedlimit is for the N20 Ballygibbon to Ballymartin Pavement scheme.

https://www.corkcoco.ie/news/public-notice-road-works-speed-limit

Remains to be seen how long it will go on for. It should be possible to maintain two lanes without a stop/go system.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

That road needs a serious rethink. People treat it like a motorway but there's junctions with people pulling out at 10mph. Must be the worst road in Cork for accidents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

marno21 wrote: »
    This reduced speedlimit is for the N20 Ballygibbon to Ballymartin Pavement scheme.

https://www.corkcoco.ie/news/public-notice-road-works-speed-limit

Remains to be seen how long it will go on for. It should be possible to maintain two lanes without a stop/go system.

They're operating a stop and go system at the moment.

It's ridiculous that the limit is 60 for such a long stretch of road. Why can't they complete one section at a time?

I don't understand why the new limit continues from the works almost all the way into the city. There's literally nothing going on past the small stretch where they're working at the moment.

Not that anyone seems to be obeying the new speed limit beyond that section anyway....

So they appear to have finished the works last week but left all the 60 speed limit signs up even though the road is completely done, resurfaced, painted and everything. Very strange.

Does anyone know if they're permanently blocking off the Waterloo junction? Seems to be that way, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It was mentioned in some media that council are considering leaving it closed

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Looks like all the roadworks are done, passed today and no workers. Last night I passed a speed van going 100kmh on the overtaking lane section. Am I screwed?

Seems ridiculous to have 60kmh on that section with no roadworks going on, and targeting people on top of it.

Also I heard Waterloo junction is staying closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

BillJ wrote: »
    Looks like all the roadworks are done, passed today and no workers. Last night I passed a speed van going 100kmh on the overtaking lane section. Am I screwed?

Seems ridiculous to have 60kmh on that section with no roadworks going on, and targeting people on top of it.

Could be like the Fota Road on the way to Cobh. Limit was 80 with poor surface; they did a big resurfacing job with a temp limit of 60 - and never raised it again!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Could be like the Fota Road on the way to Cobh. Limit was 80 with poor surface; they did a big resurfacing job with a temp limit of 60 - and never raised it again!:mad:

It's ok your car isn't fit for speed like the last one....:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

BillJ wrote: »

Talk now seems to be it will reopen all is needed is traffic calming or lights

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

Current status

The Waterloo junction was temporarily closed to accommodate the roadworks that have been ongoing since mid-June on the N20 between Ballymartin and Blarney. It has become clear that this was a pre-text to permanently closing the road (no other junction was closed to accommodate the works). The first anyone in the locality became aware of an extended closure was when they re-lined the road after resurfacing but omitting the junction.

In mid-August, a public consultation was announced with a view of extinguishing the right of way at the junction. The consultation period ends on 02 October and councillors in the municipal district will get to vote on the proposal. If they reject it, the council will need to re-open the road.

Details of the consultation are available here. The map is available here.

The local community (which is spread across the townlands of Whitechurch, Waterloo and Ballygibbon) are extremely unhappy with how this has played out and the impact it will have on the community. The government, council and community has actively invested considerable funds (multiple €100,000+ as I understand it) to facilities on either side of the N20 with an understanding that access would be maintained. We're now in the process of understanding the impact to community groups, sports groups, school and churches to understand if they are all still viable.

If you're local the area, we're asking people to submit observations / impact statements to the council (see the notice above) in writing (no emails) by 02 Oct. 2018. There is also the possibility to request an oral hearing where statements can be made by all parties.

There is a facebook group called "Waterloo Access Group" where updates are being posted regularly by the community committee preparing a response to the public consultation. Feel free to PM me as well.

Re: the speed limit on the N20 being 60km/h for ~ 8km while works are on a faction of that

Absolutely no idea what they are playing at with the approach they have taken. You can contact the Cork National Roads office via https://www.corkrdo.ie/ with your observations. I'm currently waiting for them to provide an update of when the speed limits will revert since they forgot to include that in the original notice and all the local signage indicated 2018-08-31.

I would also encourage you to report any dangerous driving in the works zone (i.e. the whole 8km 60km/h zone) to the Gardaí (at the very least we'll attempt to FOI the number of reported incidents for the period *).

* I'm offering good odds for the number being single digits if not zero.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    They're operating a stop and go system at the moment.

It's ridiculous that the limit is 60 for such a long stretch of road. Why can't they complete one section at a time?

My personal suspicion was that it was easier to file one Road Works Speed Limit Order for the complete work than file multiple orders as they were needed / based on some schedule that was agreed.

It seems to completely ignore the guidance in section 4.3.1 - Speed Limits at Road Works of the Guidance for the Control and Management of Traffic at Roadworks document from DTTAS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It seems crazy that they closed that junction with complete disregard for the local communities, and no consultation. I know several people in Waterloo who need to cross the the N20 to get to their local school and community centre - having to go through Blarney is a significant diversion for them.

And of course, there will be absolutely no repercussions for whatever clowns allowed this closure to go ahead.

Anyone know what on earth they're at now? The seem to be digging trenches at either side of the road along the entire run of the works and filling it with stones. I'm sure there's a reason for but I'm just not getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Anyone know what on earth they're at now? The seem to be digging trenches at either side of the road along the entire run of the works and filling it with stones. I'm sure there's a reason for but I'm just not getting it.
    Drainage of some sort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, drainage, but also tearing the árse out of it so they can maintain the "temporary" closure of the Waterloo junction while there are still "roadworks".

Advertisement